By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: Paper manuals are no more

I used to love reading game manuals, but I haven't done so in quite a while

Around the Network

? I thought it was only for sports games?

Well thats interesting, honestly I hardly ever read the manuals. I hope theres still a insert there or something lol.

It's just that simple.

mchaza said:

EA has announced that Paper manuals are now finished for them and are reducing all box paper content by 40%. Instead the disk will contain the manual and so will EA.com. 

So no more pausing the game to flick though the manual and remember an button you forgot to do some move you require. Now its pause, scroll down the menus, find the controller section, and then find the button combination down an list if its there. 

Basically this is an move of: We can reduce the cost of manufacturing and we can fire the people who make manuals designs to increase profit. 

Anyways, I got dragon age orgins and that case weighs the most out of all i ahve of same size because the manual is thick enough to beat someone with 

i made a thread about this when i bought mass effect 2 on ps3. i still love the idea of having a manual, i never read them how to play the game but the package seems uncomplete without it :(

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Xen said:

Here's hoping that it doesn't turn into some kinda trend...

Why?  Here's hoping it does become a trend.

Game manuals today are pretty worthless and not collectible at all.

twesterm said:
Xen said:

Why?  Here's hoping it does become a trend.

Game manuals today are pretty worthless and not collectible at all.

Depends on the game.

Around the Network

Game manuals are another aspect which turned to shit circa 2005. I remember reading through my amazing 250 page NWN manual many many many times. For those $50 I even got a cloth map and the really nicely bound manual, on top of the game itself.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

ssj12 said:
Xen said:

why? while this is more of a profit motive then an environmental one, as an environmentalist I support this. Reduce paper, reduce waste, reduce deforesting. Basically a win-win-win.

Not everyone gives a fuck about this con green bullshit though.

I'm one of them, don't ditch the manuals!!

Seece said:
ssj12 said:
Xen said:

why? while this is more of a profit motive then an environmental one, as an environmentalist I support this. Reduce paper, reduce waste, reduce deforesting. Basically a win-win-win.

Con green bullshit? Your as bad as every fing republican politician in the US. It is really sad that you live in the UK, one of that many countries actually fighting to improve the environment for its citizens and provide tons of LEGIT data proving climate change is happening, yet refuse to acknowledge that it is happening and we humans are speeding it up. If you don't realize that if we don't try to slowdown and prepare for the environmental disasters that are going to happen billions of lives will be lost.

And when was the last time you actually paid any attention to a game's manual? most games start with a picture of the controller layout and offer an addition picture of it under the option screen. They have become worthless.

Oh, and if you say "but GTA's maps" or something like that. Guess what? a map isn't a manual so all GTA games will continue to include a paper map of the cities.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Seece said:
ssj12 said:
Xen said:

And when was the last time you actually paid any attention to a game's manual? most games start with a picture of the controller layout and offer an addition picture of it under the option screen. They have become worthless.

Oh, and if you say "but GTA's maps" or something like that. Guess what? a map isn't a manual so all GTA games will continue to include a paper map of the cities.

Machina replied to the first paragraph perfectly.

I always look at my manuals, it's part of the pleasure of getting a new game. Especially if it has artwork.

All they need is a quick start guide and a controller reference sheet. Kinda like when you buy a new computer or router, you look at the short pamphlet on how to get it working and then throw away the 100-page book for noobs.