By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: Paper manuals are no more

WHERE ARE WE GOING TO WORK WHEN THE TREES ARE GONE?

Darryl Cherney

I come from a long long line of tree cutting men,

And this company town was here before my grandaddy settled in.

We left enough trees astanding so our kids could toe the line,

Then the big corporation come and cut 'em down,

Got us working overtime.

Chorus:

Where are we going to work when the trees are gone?

Will the big boss have us wash his car, or maybe mow his lawn?

I'm a man, I'm a man, I'm a lumberjack man, but I fear it ain't for long?

Tell me, where are we going to work when the trees are gone?

These corporate mergers make no sense to me.

They got them a great big debt to pay, so we're clearcutting all the trees.

That old fishin' hole where I used to take my kids,

We trashed it out last Monday morning, good lord,

Look at what we did.

Chorus

These Wall Street money men they make me mad,

I got a family to feed, and falling trees is the only work I've ever had.

You know now folks we can't just stand here while this cut and run goes on,

We got to stop them big corporations, before the trees are gone.

Chorus

*sigh* the lyrics will just have to do.

I still think the best version of this is the Jello/Mojo Nixon cover but even youtube doesn't have it

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

Hey, Spanky, way to quote a guy that "survived" a bombing that investigators said he perpetrated himself.  You're championing a glory-hog that put his own loved ones (I use the term more losely than anything in quotes) at risk for his misguided cause.  Good job.  Maybe next you can talk about the Nazi's plan for environmental protection (yeah, that was a "real" thing).  I mean, at least they didn't put pipe bombs in their own cars to make a fallacious point.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

ChichiriMuyo said:

Hey, Spanky, way to quote a guy that "survived" a bombing that investigators said he perpetrated himself.  You're championing a glory-hog that put his own loved ones (I use the term more losely than anything in quotes) at risk for his misguided cause.  Good job.  Maybe next you can talk about the Nazi's plan for environmental protection (yeah, that was a "real" thing).  I mean, at least they didn't put pipe bombs in their own cars to make a fallacious point.

Hate the player, not the game

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

Sorry, I hate neither.  It's the stupidity that bothers me.  And anyone who buys into lies like you do falls outside of both game and player.  You're just clueless to reality, and that's far beyond pity and spite.

ChichiriMuyo said:
Spankey said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

Sorry, I hate neither.  It's the stupidity that bothers me.  And anyone who buys into lies like you do falls outside of both game and player.  You're just clueless to reality, and that's far beyond pity and spite.

U mad, Bro?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
Spankey said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
Spankey said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

U mad, Bro?

Not in the least.  In fact, ask yourself this:  Who would the government consider an insane terrorist...

(No, sorry, replace government with public will... not that I expect you'd believe either to be real)

The guy who realizes that bad things happen out of his control, despite his wishes for better

or

The guy who supports someone engaged in genuine terrorism

Because the first is me and the second is you.  You support someone who has been shown to perpetrate terrorist attacks on himself to gain popularity for his movement.  I just have a tendancy to mention that reality is miles away from what that nut-job thought it was.

If you like putting pipe bombs on your own car to make a point, and getting caught doing so, Darryl Cheny is obviously a real "hero".  If you like living in a modern world and surving despite the challenges you face then you're a real human being.

I'll take the later on that one, chum, and anyone who disagress is by all means welcome to take the former.

ChichiriMuyo said:

Not in the least.  In fact, ask yourself this:  Who would the government consider an insane terrorist...

(No, sorry, replace government with public will... not that I expect you'd believe either to be real)

The guy who realizes that bad things happen out of his control, despite his wishes for better

or

The guy who supports someone engaged in genuine terrorism

Because the first is me and the second is you.  You support someone who has been shown to perpetrate terrorist attacks on himself to gain popularity for his movement.  I just have a tendancy to mention that reality is miles away from what that nut-job thought it was.

If you like putting pipe bombs on your own car to make a point, and getting caught doing so, Darryl Cheny is obviously a real "hero".  If you like living in a modern world and surving despite the challenges you face then you're a real human being.

I'll take the later on that one, chum, and anyone who disagress is by all means welcome to take the former.

like I said, hate the player, not the game.

The guy might tie 1st for the biggest douche in the universe award, but it does not change the fact that deforestation is happening now - at this very moment - and I don't like it. that put me in mind of the song, so I posted it. I didn't post it to glorify Mr. Cheny, but to illustrate a point. As the old saying goes, the devil has the best tunes lol.

If you don't believe me, come and live in the developing world for a few years and see the changes for yourself.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in. Let’s

Facelift bar!

= =  = = http://www.abcneed.com = = =

Air Jordan (1-24) shoes $45

UGG BOOT $50

Nike shox (R4, NZ, OZ, TL1, TL2, TL3) $42

Handbags ( Coach Lv fendi D&G) $36

T-shirts (polo, ed hardy, lacoste) $20

Jean (True Religion, ed hardy, coogi)$30

Sunglasses ( Oakey, coach, Gucci, Armaini)$16

New era cap $16

ATO shoes $42

Gucci shoes $42 ,prada shoes $40

NBA jerseys $33 ,NHL jerseys $29

YSL shoes $85

Bikini (Ed hardy, polo) $18

FREE SHIPPING

Low prices, high quality products. Welcome to Buy . Accept paypal payment, accept Credit card payments, electronic check payments.

= =  = = http://www.abcneed.com = = =

ChichiriMuyo said:

SSJ12, you poor, sad man.  When a businessman wants to make a profit they will sell whatever makes them money.  If paper makes them money, they will keep replanting trees as long as they can keep making money.  As soon as paper drops in value, though, they will clear-cut those forests for whatever makes money. 

Millions of acres of forests will be destroyed if we as a world go paper-less, because the people that own that land in fact do not have to plant trees there in most cases.  I know where the idea came from, but it's localized to pretty specific parts of the country (in the US, and non-existant in most of the world).  A tree is planted for each that is cut down because the land-owner wants profits not just today but in ten years as well, not because they are told they have to.  If paper is unprofitable, they will plant something else, and no one will actually stop them (regardless of laws, even, outside of the small bits of land reserved by the government... which are generally hardwood forests and unsuitable for paper-making to begin with) because business always trumps ideals.  Our insatiable urge for paper pre-internet actually caused the US to become REforested, and the opposite will happen as we use less of it. 

Economics trumps everything else in the end, and if you really care about there being trees then the paper industry is your best friend.  Any illegal tree cutting is either linked to hard wood (building materials) or appropriating land for agriculture (like in the rain forest, where no one is going to give a damn about your opinion) and perhaps the occsional Christmas tree.  But its not linked to soft wood (used for paper), and any amount of work to eliminate paper does nothing to stop that illegal harvesting.

If you really want to see more trees and not less, support the industries that actually have a vested interest in them existing.  Paper companies want their resources to last them as long as possible, people trying to make ranches and houses really don't.

Seriously, though, in advanced countries paper has been a force for reforestation in areas that had been deforested for agriculture.  If you take away their profits you take away their motivation to plant trees.  And once that becomes finalized, I guarantee you that you'll be seeing less trees around the world instead of more.

There are laws to replant trees for hardwood. And its illegal in the USA to buy illegal timber. Gibson Guitars are currently being investigated over illegal timber from Madagascar which if they are found to have received wood from them, massive fines will happen. If more companies focus on buying legal hardwood, and expand back into local farmers markets we can lessen deforestation. Also there are many groups buying miles of land to protect the forests and jungles.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

SSJ12, you poor, sad man.  When a businessman wants to make a profit they will sell whatever makes them money.  If paper makes them money, they will keep replanting trees as long as they can keep making money.  As soon as paper drops in value, though, they will clear-cut those forests for whatever makes money. 

Millions of acres of forests will be destroyed if we as a world go paper-less, because the people that own that land in fact do not have to plant trees there in most cases.  I know where the idea came from, but it's localized to pretty specific parts of the country (in the US, and non-existant in most of the world).  A tree is planted for each that is cut down because the land-owner wants profits not just today but in ten years as well, not because they are told they have to.  If paper is unprofitable, they will plant something else, and no one will actually stop them (regardless of laws, even, outside of the small bits of land reserved by the government... which are generally hardwood forests and unsuitable for paper-making to begin with) because business always trumps ideals.  Our insatiable urge for paper pre-internet actually caused the US to become REforested, and the opposite will happen as we use less of it. 

Economics trumps everything else in the end, and if you really care about there being trees then the paper industry is your best friend.  Any illegal tree cutting is either linked to hard wood (building materials) or appropriating land for agriculture (like in the rain forest, where no one is going to give a damn about your opinion) and perhaps the occsional Christmas tree.  But its not linked to soft wood (used for paper), and any amount of work to eliminate paper does nothing to stop that illegal harvesting.

If you really want to see more trees and not less, support the industries that actually have a vested interest in them existing.  Paper companies want their resources to last them as long as possible, people trying to make ranches and houses really don't.

Seriously, though, in advanced countries paper has been a force for reforestation in areas that had been deforested for agriculture.  If you take away their profits you take away their motivation to plant trees.  And once that becomes finalized, I guarantee you that you'll be seeing less trees around the world instead of more.

There are laws to replant trees for hardwood. And its illegal in the USA to buy illegal timber. Gibson Guitars are currently being investigated over illegal timber from Madagascar which if they are found to have received wood from them, massive fines will happen. If more companies focus on buying legal hardwood, and expand back into local farmers markets we can lessen deforestation. Also there are many groups buying miles of land to protect the forests and jungles.

but that brings it back to the first point deforestation in places like the amazon isnt happening because of paper.

so not useing paper saves no trees, but does cost jobs.

and most places tree populations are increasing