By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stof's list of 18 games that took up his life

I actually bought this game last summer with my XBOX and KOTOR, Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, Morrowind, and Jade Empire (Gamestop was doing a buy 2 get 1 free deal, so I loaded on games). Still haven't touched Fable, Morrowind, or Jade Empire. Maybe I'll give Fable a try this summer.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network
jman8 said:
I actually bought this game last summer with my XBOX and KOTOR, Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, Morrowind, and Jade Empire (Gamestop was doing a buy 2 get 1 free deal, so I loaded on games). Still haven't touched Fable, Morrowind, or Jade Empire. Maybe I'll give Fable a try this summer.

The only other game on that list that I have is KOTOR, which I'm actually playing right now. I'm only a few hours in, but so far I'm pretty impressed. I just wish that it didn't have such a linear feeling to it.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

8 - Silkworm - NES (or Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore64)

OR

Why not both?

Ok, I've been getting dangerously recent lately, so time to take it back to the roots! The No save function roots! The sidescrolling arcade shooter roots that is. With one of the best dam games of the genre, SILKWORM!

Now, you may not be familliar with the game. That's because you had no friends and could never play two player. The games awesome co-op mode is where it trancends a normal gaming experience. One player takes a helicopter, the other player a jeep that can jump. It's teamwork that will get you through this game. Teamwork and shooting every god damned thing that moves (even the floating silicone breast implants, and don't you try and tell me that's not what they are!)

What made the game even greater was it's wonderfully predictable bosses.

Level one, a giant tank.

Level two, a giant helicopter.

Level three, a giant tank

Level four, a giant helicopter

etc, etc, etc on and on and on and on!

This game ate up way too much of my life. I beat it playing with Pat. I beat it playing with Derek, and I even beat it playing with Andrew (ok not really, but it's not my fault the guy's crappy in a helicopter).

Find this game, play this game, and only then can you try and tell me that Gears of War, God of War or any other GOW is an intense game!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

gebx said:

http://www.virtualnes.com/ Boulder Dash is availble...

It doesn't work for me! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It works for me! yipee!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
It works for me! yipee!

Yeah well you can... I hope you...

*angrily stomps off to the "say something about the poster above you" thread* 

#7 - Carmageddon 1&3. 1 on that glorious old mac again, 3 on my not so glorious PC

Before Jack Thompson stood up the the Multibillion dollar gaming/death simulator industry in a valiant attempt to protect the children of the world, before Grand Theft Auto, before half of you peoples times, There was a game, a game so violent, so gruesome, and so god damned fun, that it set the gaming world ablaze in controversy. The game was carmageddon.

Technically, it's a racing game, where you get a wicked selection of cars ranging from bathtubs with wheels to bulldozers, monstertrucks and "The Drill Car". So what's the controversy? Well there are 3 ways to win a race. You can actually finish the race, but that's not much fun. It's more fun to demolish your opponents OR... you can run over every single person in the race environment. Women, Children, Cows, this game had no decency. Blood flies freely, and it can really slick your tires too!

In Parts of Europe, the civilians were turned to "Zombies" to make it slightly more palatable. But the essence of the game is still there. What made it awesome were the race tracks. Unlike prior race games with dedicated tracks, Carmageddon saw multiple tracks in each setting, essentially making it a free range game. You might have to turn left at the corner, or you can ram a guy off the hill, take some ramps up to the top of a sky scraper and launch yourself down some rubble into a construction site for some pick ups. GTA owes this game, it owes it big.

Of course, what really REALLY made this game cool was where it came from. While it may have had it's own name, this was definately a movie game. And that movie? One of the greatest 70's B films of all time. Paul Bartel's Death Race 2000! It even had some of the same cars. Infact, the third game was called Carmageddon 3: Total Death Race 2000.

So Watch the movie (it has a young Stalone trying desperately to control his crazy mouth), and play the game. Play it good!

P.S. Now that I'm done playing Knights of the Old Republic, I can devote time to this list again! yay.

RolStoppable said:

Great to see finally an update to this list.

stof, do you want to tell us that it took you 2 whole months to finish Kotor? I played it only for a short time, it wasn't my type of game, but my brother has beaten it in 25 hours.

Haha. Not quite that long. I stopped the list before I picked up the game. But Playing that game did take over a fair bit of the time I would normally have put into something like this. As for gamelength, I went for every side quest and mini bit I could think of, and it took about 45 hours.

Any lovers of Grindhouse out there? Death Proof is such an amazing movie.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Any lovers of Grindhouse out there? Death Proof is such an amazing movie.

I liked both of 'em a lot. The ending of Deathproof though was gold lol

Also, the fake previews and stuff were hillarious. Some of the most laughing I have done in a theater ever. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!