By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Best selling console for 2011? (Big Three)

Best selling console for 2011? (Big Three)

PS3 256 56.39%

Xbox 360 90 19.82%

Wii 104 22.91%

Total:450

I think Nintendo will keep the Wii's price the same for this year and combined with a PS3 price cut, will make the PS3 sell enough in the holidays to stop the Wii from regaining its lead in total sales for the year 

Around the Network
Salnax said:

The Wii. It's already on par with the HD systems, and we all know what happens every November...

Yep. Wii will sale about the same as PS360 all year and then have its massive holiday sales far above the rest to continue its yearly win.

TeddostheFireKing said:

I think Nintendo will keep the Wii's price the same for this year and combined with a PS3 price cut, will make the PS3 sell enough in the holidays to stop the Wii from regaining its lead in total sales for the year 

What physical data do you have that Sony will cut the price to (likely) be making a loss which they can't afford and Nintendo won't re-ignite their sales by cutting their's, heck, they could half it and probably still make a profit...

IF anyone cuts their price, it'll likely be Nintendo

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I can't believe so many of you think Wii will lose to PS3.

PS3's best year and peak was last year and their Wii beat it by 4m.

http://www.vgchartz.com/hw_annual_summary.php

At this stage in the game, continued exclusives aren't going to decide much. Price will be king as noone had a price cut last year and this rung for buyers is spent.

I see late year price cuts as being the pushing factor which will heavily favor Wii and of course be most impactful during the holidays.

Wii will be about 4m ahead again.

i voted PS3, but nothings written in stone. in my estimates all 3 consoles are on track to sale 16m units but the likely winner will be Nintendo although game wise its not likely.

Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword in most gamers eyes should be enough and considering how long its been sence the last Zelda Game its likely to out sale Gears and COD by a good margin.

20 exclusives are in Sonys favor while an increase in sales is expected, only the future holds the key.

GEARS and other shooters favor the 360 this fall as the sells king. from COD and Battlefield to my most anticipated Ghost Recon 4 to the aforementioned GEARS 3.

this topic is blinded by so many factors as for how this yr is shaping up as the battle continues.

this isn't American idol but the votes will be counted at the end of the yr as always.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

What physical data do you have that Sony will cut the price to (likely) be making a loss which they can't afford and Nintendo won't re-ignite their sales by cutting their's, heck, they could half it and probably still make a profit...

I don't have any physical data, it will of been 2 years since the last PS3 price cut in 2009 with the slim release, PS3 retail prices in Europe are substainally higher than those of the US and the EU has a better exhange rate for the Yen too, so Sony can make more money there and be able to cut the PS3 and still remain in the black (granted probably only $50, in an idle world for Sony, they could afford a $200 PS3, which would sell loads)

also the Move bundle for the PS3 is also $400 right now, I'm certain that the Move component does not cost $100 to make and there is opportunity for these Move bundles to offest the losses on the regular PS3 (and may be at the expense of Nintendo)

Nintendo on the other hand are still selling very well and with the 3DS just released will likely want to capitalise on the 3DS market by not reducing the price of the Wii as both systems will sell to the same demographic (if the Wii is a family system and only $100, why would I want a 3DS at $250?)

TeddostheFireKing said:
Conegamer said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

I don't have any physical data, it will of been 2 years since the last PS3 price cut in 2009 with the slim release, PS3 retail prices in Europe are substainally higher than those of the US and the EU has a better exhange rate for the Yen too, so Sony can make more money there and be able to cut the PS3 and still remain in the black (granted probably only $50, in an idle world for Sony, they could afford a $200 PS3, which would sell loads)

also the Move bundle for the PS3 is also $400 right now, I'm certain that the Move component does not cost $100 to make and there is opportunity for these Move bundles to offest the losses on the regular PS3 (and may be at the expense of Nintendo)

Nintendo on the other hand are still selling very well and with the 3DS just released will likely want to capitalise on the 3DS market by not reducing the price of the Wii as both systems will sell to the same demographic (if the Wii is a family system and only $100, why would I want a 3DS at $250?)

Very true Wii probably isn't gonna have a price cut this year. PS3 will probably want to reduce to price for the upcoming NGP. As that wii be there main focus very soon.

superchunk said:

I can't believe so many of you think Wii will lose to PS3.

PS3's best year and peak was last year and their Wii beat it by 4m.

http://www.vgchartz.com/hw_annual_summary.php

At this stage in the game, continued exclusives aren't going to decide much. Price will be king as noone had a price cut last year and this rung for buyers is spent.

I see late year price cuts as being the pushing factor which will heavily favor Wii and of course be most impactful during the holidays.

Wii will be about 4m ahead again.

Wii is declining very heavily this year compared to last year at the same time phrase which was already decling from the year before that! The PS3 was getting beaten by the Wii at this point of time last year. I think it'll be close between PS3 and Wii if the Wii does really good this year at the holidays. Which won't be that likely. But anything can happen so I'm not saying that my statment is 100% correct.

Beuli2 said:

How does the time the price cut had effect doesn't have meaning if we are talking about time periods? After the pricecut, the Wii was, I believe, up year on year, but because it only had effect on the last three months of the year, it wasn't able to counterbalance the downing trend the first part of the year had.

The PS3 has been going up just because it was hard to go any lower than it was, so you just can consider the sales it is having now average. I'm not talking about bundles being bad as an internet forum poster, I'm talking about the reality, the business side. Those people that buy the lego and panda games buy them because of the content, they think that the game is going to be as good as the movie and they want to further explore the world of the movie, that's why they sell well, not because they are pathetic in your eyes.

I'm pretty sure a pricecute wouldn't help the Xbox 360 a lot in EMEAA, in some months the effect would wear down and then they would start the losses again. And Japan the effect would just be LOL.

So who's to say that the Wii pricecut wont be towards the Holidays yet again? That's what my prediction was...

The PS3 has still been up YoY every Year. Even if the sales are average, up is up. I predict with a cut it will be up again. I also think that GT in a bundle is good, and a LBP2/PSMove bundle will be good too.

It would help a lot in Europe. Which is the biggest part of EMEAA. UK sales will explode and it will do huge numbers in America. It will be up YoY easily.

In regards to PS3 being up YOY people need to go back and throughly look at last years numbers. I've said this a couple of times already. PS3 pulled relatively impressive numbers last year, but it wasn't because of any single major event or release that brought it to that. Sales were simply consistently good throughout the year. March and September both present somewhat difficult comparissons to its current baseline because in March's case it had a large number of big blockbuster releases (FFXIII, GOW3, Hokuto Mousuo, Yakuza 4, Torne) and September saw the release of move and SKU shift to the 160 and 320 GB models. But outside of those months the YOY comparisons aren't particulary steep compared to the level that it's currently selling at, and even those months aren't that steep. ATM it's only down YOY a mere 220k (-8%). Assuming it comes out of March with about a 300k YOY loss total it probably wouldn't expand very much through spring and summer. If a price cut were to happen in summer it would probably erase the declines that it had in the space of 2-4 weeks. And even the holiday numbers wouldn't be too hard to match primarily because the Japan sales were pretty crap-tastic last December. A situation that FFXIII-2 should remedy this year, especially if there's another special edition bundle. And honestly, at this point I think it's pointless to argue whether or not PS3 will be up YOY because we'll probably know whether or not it will be when we see Sony's fiscal year projection in a little more than a month.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4