By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Lair for the PS3, that bad of a game?

@ GooseGaws

There may be some similarities, even two games which are very much unlike each other Ratchet & Clank: TOD and Resistance show some similarities (such as weapon selection). But I don't think calling Lair to be Rogue Squadron 4 is accurate, at least not based on what I've seen so far in youtube videos.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

The presentation, from the menu design, to the medal system, to the mission structure, to the gameplay elements, are all virtually the same as the Rogue Squadron series. Obviously, levels in space are out, though the first RS game had no space-based levels either. I'm not the only one who thinks the similarities are obvious; Google it if you must. I'm also not saying that this is to the game's detriment, as I LIKE Rogue Squadron a lot.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

MikeB said:
@ GooseGaws

There may be some similarities, even two games which are very much unlike each other Ratchet & Clank: TOD and Resistance show some similarities (such as weapon selection). But I don't think calling Lair to be Rogue Squadron 4 is accurate, at least not based on what I've seen so far in youtube videos.

How is this for a similarity;

Rouge Squadron - You have big, 4 legged walking machines that you take down by attaching a cable to its legs. Then you fly around until the cable is wrapped on the walker and it falls.

Lair - You have giant four-legged elephants that you take down by attacking a harpoon to its legs. Then you fly around until the cable from the harpoon wraps around its legs and causes the elephant to fall.

Trust me, I've played both games and its RS with dragons, right down to how the fire breath is like an x-wings laser cannon. The only big difference is the transition from flight to ground combat, but that was sort of present in RS3, except you had to climb into a ship. And I guess the poorly implemented dragon to dragon combat is different too, but thats a change for the worse. I really think you should actually play RS before you continue to claim that the games arent the same based on youtube vids, especially now that two people who have played both are telling you that its practically the same. 

Oh, and the developers sighted Panzer Dragoon as a major influence on Lair, and that is an excellent series of games. Also, laggy motion controls aren't innovative.

The resolution does make a difference in how smooth the game plays. 720 has less frequent drops, and ones that are less severe in intense situations. I've heard the only time it isn't present is in 480p mode, but 720p is enough of an improvement to warrant playing it in the slightly lower rez, especially since 720-1080 is only a big difference on large sets. Then again, I suggest avoiding this game altogether.

One last thing; I fully agree with Fuzzmosis. The fact that some people continue to point out how bad the game is and you just reprimand them with "threads over" just shows that you weren't really looking for objective reviews - you just wanted some validation to justify the purchase. (And this made me lol - "forgiveness of some hybrid of Ghandi and Jesus")

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Wow, just what every PS3 owner wants to hear from a guy with an damn 360 logo talking crap about Lair... It is very import for 360 owners to make up BS about Lair's framerate in 1080p because it is one of the fundamental 360 damage control talking points about the PS3 vs 360: * 1080p is just Sony forcing developers to support to hype the PS3 * 1080p just means weaker graphics or worse framerate on the PS3 - 360 games could support it but developers are wise not to try To quote someone from back around the time when Lair was release "1080p PS3 games make 360 owners e-peepee's shrink'...

Actually, what you'll notice is that two different people who have first-hand experience playing the game have noticed framerate problems in 1080p. That's all.

There are very few PS3 games that are native 1080p, and such games do exist for 360 as well. They're just not prevalent, and not really especially necessary.

Hates Nomura.

Around the Network

@goose

There are no NATIVE 1080p games on the X360.

mM

@leo-j:

Virtua Tennis 3 is; I recall reading that some EA games were supposed to be as well (Homecourt?) but I'm not sure if that ended up happening or not.

Really though, who cares? It makes hardly any difference to virtually everyone who will play the games.

Hates Nomura.

Actually, the take downs for the 4 legged enemies in Rogue Squadron and Lair are different and not the exact same. In Rogue Squadron, you have to do the tedious harpoon and then wrap around the legs two or three times. In Lair, it's a little more interesting by having to first destroy the catapults (two or three I believe) on the animal before you can get close, in which you then press a button to harpoon a shot into it's leg in which the game will go into slow motion to give you a short time to thrust the controller forward. When you do that, it will take out the animal's leg and it goes down.

You have to deal with the motion controls and aiming, but I find it to be a little more interesting than taking down the walkers in Rogue Squadron with your constant left/right turn.

I really see no difference with 1080p, since I own a 42" Sony Bravia that puts out 1080p. It looks just like 720p..no difference. If I was to go close to the HDTV and look at it. You could tell a difference but its really small.

1080p is really nonsense and really shouldn't be tooted, like how Sony is doing with the PS3..

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Best PS3 CommercialBest Wii Commercial

Eh, a real graphical showcase would have to be Uncharted in which the entire game is beautiful compared to Lair's good and bad looks (seriously, why do the larger animals look muddy???). Even better is that it looks great and is in 720p. I'd like to see how they can improve on their technology even more.