By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Zune is D-E-A-D

i dont think the Zune was ever released in australia. Dont blame them nearly everyone has an iphone or ipod

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network
disolitude said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
disolitude said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

I have one and it is a piece of crap. iPods are not better either. Mp3 Players that require you to use a software to put songs and videos into it are mediocre.

Yeah ok... Just cause you're lazy to sync your mp3 player its crap...gotcha.

Who do you think you are to call me lazy? You can't make changes to your Zune inventory from any computer, you hook up your Zune to another computer and it won't recognize it at all neither can you insert anything to it, the video formats are so limited. I have seen cheaper mp3 players that do better than these pieces of crap.

You don't know what you're talking about. You can sync the zune with any computer that has zune software installed. Doesn't have to be your own computer or account. The player will assume a guest relationship with the computer and whatever songs you want to transfer on to the zune you can.

The only complaint you can have is that they are still software based syncs and not pure drag and drop like portable hard drives. However Zune software and Itunes do a lot more than sync your devices. They sort songs, donwload artwork, download band bios...etc. So its a decent trade off.

If that is something you can't live with (having to use zune/itunes to sync) and you're willing to use second rate hardware and user interface (like the Archos devices) as well as lose those sorting/databse features only so you can have non software based plug and play...power to you.

It isn't like every computer has the Zune software. If a friend of yours brought you a CD or has some songs in his laptop you cannot put that stuff inside your Zune and play it on the go because you would have to download that software to his laptop.

My sister's ex used to have an mp3 player that allowed him to insert the device to any computer where it would appear as a Removable Disk to which you could put anything. It even played Avi videos and it cost less than $60.

If you prefer some fancy graphics of interfaces over features, connectivity and accesibility, well power to you. I need my players to play my songs and videos, not look cute.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

mchaza said:

i dont think the Zune was ever released in australia. Dont blame them nearly everyone has an iphone or ipod

yeah down here is apple freaking centric. It is absolutely insane, our dick smith is about to expand and get the apple portion and im excited even though i hate apple. Apple means many many sales guaranteed.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

AbbathTheGrim said:

It isn't like every computer has the Zune software. If a friend of yours brought you a CD or has some songs in his laptop you cannot put that stuff inside your Zune and play it on the go because you would have to download that software to his laptop.

My sister's ex used to have an mp3 player that allowed him to insert the device to any computer where it would appear as a Removable Disk to which you could put anything. It even played Avi videos and it cost less than $60.

If you prefer some fancy graphics of interfaces over features, connectivity and accesibility, well power to you. I need my players to play my songs and videos, not look cute.

It doesnt matter that you dont have zune software. That is the drivers for all zune devices/ win7 devices, it is very easy to get. I had an iphone and it frustrated me that you could only have one main hub.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

AussieGecko said:
mchaza said:

yeah down here is apple freaking centric. It is absolutely insane, our dick smith is about to expand and get the apple portion and im excited even though i hate apple. Apple means many many sales guaranteed.

Its crazy that Apple is the most expensive and there laptops are considerably less powerful but far more expensive then more powerful laptops at an lower price. Unless there excellent battery is the biggest cost consumer apple have mastered the ability to fool the mass market into spending more for less. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
disolitude said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
disolitude said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

I have one and it is a piece of crap. iPods are not better either. Mp3 Players that require you to use a software to put songs and videos into it are mediocre.

Yeah ok... Just cause you're lazy to sync your mp3 player its crap...gotcha.

Who do you think you are to call me lazy? You can't make changes to your Zune inventory from any computer, you hook up your Zune to another computer and it won't recognize it at all neither can you insert anything to it, the video formats are so limited. I have seen cheaper mp3 players that do better than these pieces of crap.

You don't know what you're talking about. You can sync the zune with any computer that has zune software installed. Doesn't have to be your own computer or account. The player will assume a guest relationship with the computer and whatever songs you want to transfer on to the zune you can.

The only complaint you can have is that they are still software based syncs and not pure drag and drop like portable hard drives. However Zune software and Itunes do a lot more than sync your devices. They sort songs, donwload artwork, download band bios...etc. So its a decent trade off.

If that is something you can't live with (having to use zune/itunes to sync) and you're willing to use second rate hardware and user interface (like the Archos devices) as well as lose those sorting/databse features only so you can have non software based plug and play...power to you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5124534_sync-zune-windows-media-player.html

Don't tell me your friggin friend doesn't have Windows Media Player either...

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

AbbathTheGrim said:

Well I do care about features hence why I got a zune. Nothing had the features for the price that Zune hD had in 2009 when it came out.

Connectivity and accessibility Zune offers is also fine. Drag and drop would be great too but I see what the software offers and I am more than able to wait till I get to a zune installed computer to sync.

I'd love to see an PMP sold today that you think is better than Zune HD or Itouch.  Back in the day all of them were had basic design and drag and drop, but these days you won't find many (outside Chinatown) that don't require proprietary software to sync.

MDMAniac said:
kowenicki said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

What do people mean by exceptional buidl quality? if you mean 600 processors in their flagship devices and 128 ram in most of the devices, Stupid battery cover that always make stupid click sounds whenever I hold the phone, defected slides out of the box, poor reception quality and camera covers that scratch the lens instead of protecting it then yeah.

I see the potential in microkia but not because of the "build" quality. It's because nokia is still the market leader.

I prefer Nosoft

Yeah, me too

Me no like it nosoft. Me like it sohard

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Future Zune Hardware might be dead... and  they have said it before that this might be the last revision of the Zune player.

Many people have wondered what the point is of having a Zune Player when all Windows Phone 7s have Zune built in. Why not just get a Windows Phone 7? I too have wondered that when the Windows Phone 7s came out, but I prefer having a standalone Zune player due to battery life and any type of notification interuptions that may come up during my music sessions at work might mess up my groove.. (girlfriend buggin) ¬_¬

On a side note: the whole Windows Phone 7 interface has fucked up my Zune HD interface skills. I try to navigate like i'm on Windows Phone 7 on my Zune HD and it pisses me off so much that I want to kick someone in the balls.. 

So it seems to me that M$ is  going to concentrate on Zune as a software rather than a device and license it out to hardware manufacturers and whatnot...

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Zune hardware biz developer: "I'll be going to work tomorrow"

Posted on Wed, 16 Mar 2011 03:22:00 EDT by Daniel Rubino
Filed Under: Rumors5

Microsoft has responded to the "Zune (hardware) is dead" meme that has taken off like a hurricane ever since the Bloomberg article the other day:

“We have nothing to announce about another Zune device -- but most recently have introduced Zune HD to Canada via the Zune Originals store and remain committed to supporting our devices in North America,” the company said in an e-mailed statement. “We are thrilled by the consumer excitement for Zune across many new platforms, including Windows Phone 7 and Xbox 360. Our long-term strategy focuses on the strength of the entire Zune ecosystem across Microsoft platforms.”

That sure doesn't sound like a denial, lending more credence to the Bloomberg claim from "sources familiar". Now, Dave McLauchlan, who does business development at Microsoft for the Zune HD, has now responded in the Anything But Ipod forums, where he's been a member since 2006. While not revealing anything too specific, it sure sounds as if the story is more...complicated...than Bloomberg has made it out to be. We'll just quote the meaty parts of his post:

"I've had tweets, emails, PMs and phone calls. People offering condolences, checking in on me, etc... etc... Stop, stop, stop!

The Bloomberg article is NOT an official statement from Microsoft (apart from the quote above). The headline is purportedly from a "person familiar with the matter" - which of course tells you nothing.

Here's what you should know - ALL consumer electronics products have a lifespan, and the Zune HD is 18mo old. We were completely frank about this year's Zune hardware being the WP7 phones, and we continue to both sell and fully support the Zune HD line of products. And as I've promised - we continue to bring new apps and games to the platform. More of those are in the works, I promise you.

I manage business development for Zune hardware, and I still have that job. Our PR folks released a statement today that included the text: "We’ll share more information about the evolution of the Zune entertainment service and Zune hardware as future plans develop."

To be 100% clear - NO information about our future plans, no matter what the incarnation, has been shared. Until then treat with healthy skepticism anything you read. That's probably a good general rule actually.

So for those who tweeted or emailed asking what I'm "going to do now" - I'll be going to work tomorrow, working on Zune hardware bizdev. And when Microsoft announces news that is actually news, you'll hear it from us directly, and I'll be sure to pass it on immediately. Only then should you take it as gospel."

Cheers, Dave.

We're not 100% sure what to make of this outside he still has a job working on Zune hardware and evidently it's not as black and white as everyone seems to be thinking it is. Of course if Zune hardware is dead, it forces the question of why Microsoft, and now McLauchlan, are pushing backing looking to clarify the matter. Like we said, we think there may be more to this story than what we know so far.

Source

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER