By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I dont like uncharted.

Reasonable said:
Khuutra said:
Reasonable said:
Khuutra said:

You comparing Uncharted to Kubrick (even as a bit of erudite exaggeration) has made me question everything I thought I knew about your taste in the arts.

Nah, I was just teasing.  Uncharted - as in the original title - was pretty darn good but a little rough here and there in gameplay - gunplay was a little loose for example.  Uncharted 2 though was pretty much spot on for that type of game.

The closest I've felt to the big guns of cinema while gaming is probably Team ICO titles.

I didn't see that big a difference between Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves mechanically - I mean yes, there were fewer cheaply placed hard-to-see grenade launcher buttheads and the up-close combat was made more dynamic (and slower), but on a more basic level it played like more or less the same game. The biggest difference I could discern was that the set pieces (while no more interactive) were considerably more mobile, like with the collapsing hotel.

If you play 2 right after 1 you'll note the following (or I'm imagining it):

• the gunplay is tighter and there is a better sense of connection with shooting
  • combat is varied and is more actively interspaced with platforming
  • physical combat is improved considerably
  • platforming is tighter and there is less a sense of Drake snapping to stuff
  • transitions into / out of set pieces are smoother and you are often in control in the middle of them
  • enemy variety is better and there is far less of a sense of endless identikit pirates running around corners
  • narrative flow is much better and there is a lot of variety in gameplay rather than the more abrupt transitions in Uncharted
  • platform set pieces are both more involved and larger

All in all, while still a B movie, in terms of pacing and proper use of classic scriptwriting conventions Uncharted 2 is better than most titles with loftier ambitions in terms of its use of cinematic conventions - hence the high praise it got outside traditional gaming press for this very reason.

Just simple stuff like how they introduce Elena, how in the sequence with Jeff they combine character development with ongoing action and then introduce the bad guy effectively... all of that is handled with better control and timing that most titles I can think of.

I'd love to see a game aspire to something like a Lynch or Kubrick film, but I'm not holding my breath for obvious reasons.

Don't forget the grenade throwing change! Haha. One of the biggest changes of all.

I agree with you and disagree with Khuutra. I can't name exactly what, but Uncharted 2's gameplay DEFINITELY was significantly better to me than U1. The gameplay in U: DF was one of the only things that prevented me from enjoying the experience, bc I loved the characters, dialogue, graphics, story, twist, etc. U2's gameplay felt significantly better, and I therefore enjoyed playing it much, much more. Althought that's not saying that the Uncharted series couldn't use some gameplay improvements. They could def make the gameplay smoother and more fun.

Around the Network

He doesnt like Uncharted people, it's cool. Let me just remind you for the 5th time:

Uncharted is an overrated game

Guaranteed Replies!

Oh wait.. I arrived too late.

EyeAmTJ said:

Uncharted is an overrated game IMO

Fixed. Well, that is, unless you're just looking to get reactions out of people. But that's kiddie stuff, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. And what do you mean by Uncharted? The series? Or have you only played Uncharted 1?

Around the Network

no worries everyone has their like and dislikes

I love both unchated 1&2

was uncharted worth my money?

yes, since I only got it for $30 and platted it, I think it was wor my mony

was uncharted 2 worth my money?

HELLZ YEAH!!! platted them game beaten it 7 times(on my 8th plythrough now) and have about 11 days worth of online play. Uncharted 2 is one of the best games I've ever played and this comes from a diehard RPG-fan

Euphoria14 said:
ocean-1984 said:
Euphoria14 said:
ocean-1984 said:

This thread deserves banhammer...

Why? 

Is it bannable to give a negative opinion about a game?

This is where I think about Kyliedog's signature.

I really hope this thread does not result in a ban. It is alright for people to discuss whether or not they think something is overrated and not as good as the media portays it to be.

Do I think it is one of the greatest games of all time? Hell fucking NO!

For example, I think Final Fantasy VIII blows it out of the water. Am I wrong since reviewers do not agree?

Of course not. Their opinions don't mean shit. Only difference between me, you or them is that they get paid to give an opinion.

Getting paid doesn't make their opinion the be all end all.

Dude seriously.

He played Uncharted in his friend house... gameplay is focused on bad graphics...

This is not opinion this is trolling.

I played 20 minutes of Atelier Rorona on a rental and realized I didn't like it. Sent it back.

Did I troll it because I didn't give it hours of my time?

I think people need to stop getting so bent out of shape about negative opinions of video games.

It is important for something to hook you very early on. If it doesn't then why force yourself to keep going in hopes that later on you find it more to your liking?

He played it a little bit. He didn't like it. End of story.

I think the problem here may be the motivation of the thread, to put it in another way, I see this as an equivalent of:

I played Super mario galaxy and didnt like it

I played it in my friends house but I dont like platformers, I also think the game is childish("Wii has childish games": "HD games are movies that dont have gameplay") and the graphics are the same as the ps2 games.

I pretty sure a thread like that would be locked or moderation would be aplied to it. I may be exagerating, but hell, I dont like many games and you dont see me creating threads about all the games I dont like, specially with arguments like those.

I love uncharted,but the MP in the second one,felt tacked on.

Loved both games, the multiplayer was extremely fun to play with friends.

dsage01 said:

I really hope UC3 can improve the graphics though because other than that it was amazing.

Improve on graphics??? Its already one of the best looking console games. Better than anything you'll find on 360... And only a few games on ps3 can compete with uncharted (Killzone and God of war)