By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I dont like uncharted.

CGI-Quality said:
Khuutra said:
CGI-Quality said:
Khuutra said:

Perhaps not, but it isn't for you to say what is or isn't important for his experience. Uncharted as a series has nearly as many battles-per-minute as Gears does - the first game probably has more. His complaint about the game (thhat the weakest part of the games, the combat, was given too much focus) is the same as mine, just worded differently.

If you go into Uncharted expecting it to be like Gears of War, you should be playing Gears of War. Why should I play LBP and then complain that the platforming isn't as good as Mario's, when it's not Mario?

That's my point and it's a simple one. Let's not make something out of nothing.

It's not a good point.

Yes, you would be perfectly within your rights to complain that the jumping in a game where most of the playtime involves jumping is not up to par, just like he's within his rights (and I'm within mine) to consider the combat in Uncharted subpar. No, it's not trying to be Gears, but yes, its combat is still subpar, especially compared to other games in the genre.

Well that's a stale mate, because you won't be able (just like I won't be able) to shift personal feelings.

Edit: At the same time, my quote misunderstood what he was saying, and while I disagree with you completely (if that's even what he was talking about), it wasn't meant in the way you took it: at all.

thats also like saying killzone's combat is subpar or mediocre because its aiming isnt like COD. its a bit slower and has more heft. Since you dont aim like your in zero G, killzone doesnt have good combat.

i dont understand why some people want games to be the same or something they are not. just because aiming or combat is different than another game doesnt mean its inferior

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Reasonable said:
Khuutra said:

You comparing Uncharted to Kubrick (even as a bit of erudite exaggeration) has made me question everything I thought I knew about your taste in the arts.

Nah, I was just teasing.  Uncharted - as in the original title - was pretty darn good but a little rough here and there in gameplay - gunplay was a little loose for example.  Uncharted 2 though was pretty much spot on for that type of game.

The closest I've felt to the big guns of cinema while gaming is probably Team ICO titles.

I didn't see that big a difference between Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves mechanically - I mean yes, there were fewer cheaply placed hard-to-see grenade launcher buttheads and the up-close combat was made more dynamic (and slower), but on a more basic level it played like more or less the same game. The biggest difference I could discern was that the set pieces (while no more interactive) were considerably more mobile, like with the collapsing hotel.

If you play 2 right after 1 you'll note the following (or I'm imagining it):

• the gunplay is tighter and there is a better sense of connection with shooting
  • combat is varied and is more actively interspaced with platforming
  • physical combat is improved considerably
  • platforming is tighter and there is less a sense of Drake snapping to stuff
  • transitions into / out of set pieces are smoother and you are often in control in the middle of them
  • enemy variety is better and there is far less of a sense of endless identikit pirates running around corners
  • narrative flow is much better and there is a lot of variety in gameplay rather than the more abrupt transitions in Uncharted
  • platform set pieces are both more involved and larger

All in all, while still a B movie, in terms of pacing and proper use of classic scriptwriting conventions Uncharted 2 is better than most titles with loftier ambitions in terms of its use of cinematic conventions - hence the high praise it got outside traditional gaming press for this very reason.

Just simple stuff like how they introduce Elena, how in the sequence with Jeff they combine character development with ongoing action and then introduce the bad guy effectively... all of that is handled with better control and timing that most titles I can think of.

I'd love to see a game aspire to something like a Lynch or Kubrick film, but I'm not holding my breath for obvious reasons.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Khuutra said:
Reasonable said:
Khuutra said:

You comparing Uncharted to Kubrick (even as a bit of erudite exaggeration) has made me question everything I thought I knew about your taste in the arts.

Nah, I was just teasing.  Uncharted - as in the original title - was pretty darn good but a little rough here and there in gameplay - gunplay was a little loose for example.  Uncharted 2 though was pretty much spot on for that type of game.

The closest I've felt to the big guns of cinema while gaming is probably Team ICO titles.

I didn't see that big a difference between Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves mechanically - I mean yes, there were fewer cheaply placed hard-to-see grenade launcher buttheads and the up-close combat was made more dynamic (and slower), but on a more basic level it played like more or less the same game. The biggest difference I could discern was that the set pieces (while no more interactive) were considerably more mobile, like with the collapsing hotel.

If you play 2 right after 1 you'll note the following (or I'm imagining it):

• the gunplay is tighter and there is a better sense of connection with shooting
  • combat is varied and is more actively interspaced with platforming
  • physical combat is improved considerably
  • platforming is tighter and there is less a sense of Drake snapping to stuff
  • transitions into / out of set pieces are smoother and you are often in control in the middle of them
  • enemy variety is better and there is far less of a sense of endless identikit pirates running around corners
  • narrative flow is much better and there is a lot of variety in gameplay rather than the more abrupt transitions in Uncharted
  • platform set pieces are both more involved and larger

All in all, while still a B movie, in terms of pacing and proper use of classic scriptwriting conventions Uncharted 2 is better than most titles with loftier ambitions in terms of its use of cinematic conventions - hence the high praise it got outside traditional gaming press for this very reason.

Just simple stuff like how they introduce Elena, how in the sequence with Jeff they combine character development with ongoing action and then introduce the bad guy effectively... all of that is handled with better control and timing that most titles I can think of.

I'd love to see a game aspire to something like a Lynch or Kubrick film, but I'm not holding my breath for obvious reasons.

lets not forget the cross hairs when blind firing or run and gunning.

that wasnt in the 1st game

This thread is nothing but "I hate Uncharted 2 you should hate it too" thread. People need to understand that Uncharted 2 is not trying to be Geears of War, once they realise that, they will enjoy the game more because then they will play Uncharted 2 like its supposed to be played with all the stealth elements and hand to hand combat mechanics. If they think its gears of war its their loss, really, they will go all "shooting in covers" mode for each and every enemy. This game can be completed without using your guns 80% of the time, so how is this anything close to gears of war?

Ferrari_7861 said:
Dr.Grass said:
Ferrari_7861 said:
Dr.Grass said:
chris.m95 said:

I really dont. I admit that i dont have the game but i have played it at my cousins and my friends house and i really disliked it. you may now be wondering why? how could you hate a game that has won so many awards? well first awards dont mean anything to me. I also have never really liked action adventure or 3rd person games. I dont like the gameplay i think it focuses too much on graphics which to be fair arent that good. overall not my type of game. is anyone else with me or am i the only one who sees it this way?

1. You haven't played it for more than 10mins and saw it on a CRT screen or something.

2. You haven't played it for more than 10mins and would like to attract attention hence the thread.

3. You have a secret vendetta against sony/naughty dog/PS3.

4. You are mentally retarded.

So which one is it?

"Played it at my friend house." Im the friend he is talking about. He saw me play it on a HDTV and he still says the graphics are rubbish so i think he is mentally retarded.

He describes the game as "shit." He won't even give it a try. What shall i do? I want him to play the whole game because i think he is missing out on one of the best PS3 exclusives.

He also said the "gameplay focuses too much on graphics." Gameplay and graphics are two different things, i dont understand this comment. Also, him saying the "gameplay focuses too much on graphics" is telling me that he does think the graphics are good, but he doesn't want to admit it because he hates Uncharted. 

Simple. Stop being friends with him.

He's a nice guy and i have been friends with him for some time. I'm not going to stop being friends with him just because he doesn't like Uncharted. But i think he should just play the whole game before making a judgement.

Clearly you don't like Uncharted enough.

Around the Network

classic thread

osamanobama said:
Shadowfest3 said:

Hey you are entitled to your opinion.  I for one am with you on this one.  I really didn't enjoy the game too much.  I much prefer games that have multiplayer online.  Also it's a TPS and I like FPS more.

ummm... not sure if serious.

it has the best, most addictive multiplayer i have ever played

Agreed. First game EVER to get me into online multiplayer. Now KZ3 has become the 2nd.

dont worry...i think the game is awful and ugly as well.  i havent read through the thread but i assume everyone is harping on you for disagreeing with them... but i know a saying that just may make you feel better "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Wow i just can't belive all the people that hate uncharted!

I mean the mp was okay a lot to improve on that but sp was just amzaing!!!

I am also a guy who doesn't look at the game for amount of fun level i look at controls,graphics,features e.t.c.

I am guessing you like Halo which is not a bad thing at all it's a fun game great online play but for me that's it and that's how most gamers like it. I really hope UC3 can improve the graphics though because other than that it was amazing. This game (and a few others) drove me away from my xbox 360 and made me get a ps3 and start playing that much more than xbox 360. I always used to get cod on my xbox 360 untill i got uncharted 2, now for some reason i always get multiplat games on my ps3.

Sounds like a fair opinion and i respect that.  I, however love Uncharted =P