By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I dont like uncharted.

CGI-Quality said:
Khuutra said:

It's not a good point.

Yes, you would be perfectly within your rights to complain that the jumping in a game where most of the playtime involves jumping is not up to par, just like he's within his rights (and I'm within mine) to consider the combat in Uncharted subpar. No, it's not trying to be Gears, but yes, its combat is still subpar, especially compared to other games in the genre.

Well that's a stale mate, because you won't be able (just like I won't be able) to shift personal feelings.

Difference being I am not trying to.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Khuutra said:
Boutros said:

He's not comparing the product, obviously. He's comparing the emotions he feels when someone claims he does not like Uncharted or Kubrick and Lynch films. "similarly shocked".

Oh for God's sake, if you're going to try to be pedantic then make sure you have a foot to stand on.

Even saying that the two statements elicit similar reactions is a comparison between the two sources.

This has nothing to do with what I posted.

To whit:

'He's not comparing the product, obviously. He's comparing the emotions he feels when someone claims he does not like Uncharted or Kubrick and Lynch films. "similarly shocked".'

'Even saying that the two statements elicit similar reactions is a comparison between the two sources.'

It has everything to do with what you posted. Both sentences are addressed simultaneously.

I don't think this thread should result in a ban but please tell me what purpose this thread holds, aside from revving up fanboys and creating a big debate over a videogame you don't like, which by the way is completely subjective and ultimately trolling.

Khuutra said:
Boutros said:
Khuutra said:
Boutros said:

He's not comparing the product, obviously. He's comparing the emotions he feels when someone claims he does not like Uncharted or Kubrick and Lynch films. "similarly shocked".

Oh for God's sake, if you're going to try to be pedantic then make sure you have a foot to stand on.

Even saying that the two statements elicit similar reactions is a comparison between the two sources.

This has nothing to do with what I posted.

To whit:

'He's not comparing the product, obviously. He's comparing the emotions he feels when someone claims he does not like Uncharted or Kubrick and Lynch films. "similarly shocked".'

'Even saying that the two statements elicit similar reactions is a comparison between the two sources.'

It has everything to do with what you posted. Both sentences are addressed simultaneously.

But that's not even true Khuutra.

I can compare the surprise I have when someone tells me he dislikes Uncharted to the surprise I have when I see the size of one of my feces in my toilet without actually comparing Uncharted to feces.

Perhaps I could have chosen a better analogy but the point still stands.

CGI-Quality said:
Khuutra said:

Difference being I am not trying to.

And neither am I. It's like you're looking to battle over nothing. Chill out.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3957397

Simple disagreement with the assertion that one standard of importance is universal is hardly "looking to battle", CGI. I have not, at any point, tried to downplay the veracity of any given value set; you're the only one who has done so as of this point in the conversation.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Khuutra said:

To whit:

But that's not even true Khuutra.

I can compare the surprise I have when someone tells me he dislikes Uncharted to the surprise I have when I see the size of one of my feces in my toilet without actually comparing Uncharted to feces.

Perhaps I could have chosen a better analogy but the point still stands.

It's not a good point.

That's why  I used the phrase "erudite exaggeration", Boutros. They don't have to be even, because  I already accounted for that inequality.

CGI-Quality said:
Khuutra said:
CGI-Quality said:

And neither am I. It's like you're looking to battle over nothing. Chill out.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3957397

Simple disagreement with the assertion that one standard of importance is universal is hardly "looking to battle", CGI. I have not, at any point, tried to downplay the veracity of any given value set; you're the only one who has done so as of this point in the conversation.

Because I said it's not important for Uncharted's mechanics to be as "tight" as Gears of War's? In my view, no it isn't important, because Uncharted implements other things into it's combat as a whole, such as platforming. Therefore, the combat works well with it's style (and thus, doesn't need to [nor is trying to] mimic Gears of War). I didn't mean it as matter of fact though (anyone who knows me knows it's my opinion - I'm strict about that meaning and a simple clarification would have addressed that). You're not even positive that's what he meant (since "sloggier" isn't actually a word).

Simply put, there wasn't any attempt to "de-value" anything.

We have moved too far from the original context of the conversation, here, which is probably the one weakness of trimming these quote trees.

When someone says that the combat in Uncharted is not as tight as that in Gears (which is what I said), and then you respond that "that doesn't matter though", you can understand how that comes across as an attempt at refutation, yes?

CGI-Quality said:
Khuutra said:

When someone says that the combat in Uncharted is not as tight as that in Gears (which is what I said), and then you respond that "that doesn't matter though", you can understand how that comes across as an attempt at refutation, yes?

Fair enough, I can understand that. I just didn't want the debate to turn the way it did, I really wasn't trying to come off as "my opinion > yours", in either case.

That's fine; context's rule re-established, disagreement does not have to go further than that.

Khuutra said:
Reasonable said:

Apparently some people don't like Kubrick or Lynch films... I'm always similarly shocked.

You comparing Uncharted to Kubrick (even as a bit of erudite exaggeration) has made me question everything I thought I knew about your taste in the arts.

Nah, I was just teasing.  Uncharted - as in the original title - was pretty darn good but a little rough here and there in gameplay - gunplay was a little loose for example.  Uncharted 2 though was pretty much spot on for that type of game.

The closest I've felt to the big guns of cinema while gaming is probably Team ICO titles.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Khuutra said:

You comparing Uncharted to Kubrick (even as a bit of erudite exaggeration) has made me question everything I thought I knew about your taste in the arts.

Nah, I was just teasing.  Uncharted - as in the original title - was pretty darn good but a little rough here and there in gameplay - gunplay was a little loose for example.  Uncharted 2 though was pretty much spot on for that type of game.

The closest I've felt to the big guns of cinema while gaming is probably Team ICO titles.

I didn't see that big a difference between Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves mechanically - I mean yes, there were fewer cheaply placed hard-to-see grenade launcher buttheads and the up-close combat was made more dynamic (and slower), but on a more basic level it played like more or less the same game. The biggest difference I could discern was that the set pieces (while no more interactive) were considerably more mobile, like with the collapsing hotel.