By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony wins against LG

...now all sony has to do is not picking up the PS3's while importing them over another european country.

they can sit it out any wait until the money LG has to pay each day amouts to the sum they are being sued for

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

now im just waiting for the sony wins against hackers thread

phinch1 said:

now im just waiting for the sony wins against hackers thread

Mind = blown.

YEAAAAAAAAHHH...nobody fukks with Sony!!!!!!

Life isnt so Good now is it?

It will probably end with a compromise between the 2.  LG allowing Sony to use their patents in BR devices and Sony allowing LG to use their patents in the phones.

While the two are not even, LG will definitely lose the Phone side where the BR side is not as easily defined.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

Why wouold this thread be ignored?

Do people understand legal process?

LG didnt "WIN" by getting the injunction

Sony didnt "WIN" by getting the injunction overturned

This is all part of the process and is common posturing to show intent... it continues until an agreement is reached.

Nobody won and probably nobody can win, they will settle out of court. 

For the time being, it's LG that owes money to Sony, and not the other way around.

kowenicki said:
4k1x3r said:
kowenicki said:

This is all part of the process and is common posturing to show intent... it continues until an agreement is reached.

For the time being, it's LG that owes money to Sony, and not the other way around.

So?

I think he's saying we should wait until the picture is clearer, as of now Sony doesn't have to do anything.  Can't say I disagree.

As I mentioned earlier this is only with regards to the Seizure which was always a risk now that the seizure has been upturned LG have to pay the costs and that was the risk bit. In November they meet again in the Hague and this time we should see some movement on the Patent infraction. Sony have not won anything in regards to the patent other than upturning the seizure order which apparently could only really of happened in Holland with other EU members states unlikely to have issued such an order.

This may have a bearing on a very similar request being made by LG in the states though. Patent law is very complicated though and much of it is down to interpretation and often comes down to the the Judge on the day. What is unusual about this particular Patent dispute is the headlines it has made without the headline payments which we can expect to see from one of both of these parties at some point in the future. I would suggest Sony have the most to lose financially because of the number of devices that potentially infringe on the alledged LG Blu Ray patent.

Lets imagine they lose $2 per console going forward and have to pay retrospectively in the grand scheme of things I am not sure it will matter. Certainly not chump change and LG where seeking a $350 million bank guarantee as well so they would lose the money quickly but the PS3 is strong enough now I believe it can weather such storms if indeed it gets stormy at all.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
kowenicki said:
4k1x3r said:
kowenicki said:

So?

Sony = monetary advantage.

I hope they reach some kind of an agreement or Sony wins. The PS3 stopping its sales would be really bad, Sony might end up dropping support.

We are safe for now so its all good.