By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony wins against LG

So peoples hopes are still alive for the PS3 to get hurt saleswise?

Around the Network

Here's some good details on the situation

"

Moments ago, a court in The Netherlands ruled against LG in an ongoing patent battle against Sony. Freeing up PS3s in the country – and therefore Europe – the move was a major victory for the Japanese technology giant, but Sony are by no means in the clear, with LG still set to push for royalties that could be as high as $350 million. To find out what the case could mean, and just how close Sony were to losing, PlayStation LifeStyle talked to award winning intellectual property activist, author and FOSS Patents blogger Florian Mueller.

In a statement, Florian told us:

It was of the utmost importance for Sony to achieve this decision. Sony wants a comprehensive settlement of all patent disputes between the two companies and now it will be able to seek such a solution without being under pressure. I believe Sony is particularly interested in collecting royalties on LG’s smartphones.

As Florian had an inside source watching the court case we asked how close the verdict actually was, and whether it was a clear cut victory from the start, or whether Sony managed to pull a victory from the skin of their teeth. Mueller replied:

When the judge announced a recess, most people in the room thought he was going to return and uphold the order for the time being. This was a surprising turn of events in Sony’s favor.

We also asked if LG would continue to push for $350 million.

I’m sure their demands are the same, but they now have less leverage than before.

Florian also commented on whether the ruling boded well for Sony in future cases:

That depends on the details of the ruling, which I don’t know yet. If the court established some principles that will also be relevant to many other cases, then the answer is yes.

And if the fines placed on LG were reasonable:

Those fines are of a purely theoretical nature. I’m sure LG will comply with the ruling.

LG will likely continue to press Sony for financial reimbursement over the claimed patent infringements, but such rulings will be far more drawn out than the quick prejudgement case held today."

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

NYANKS said:

Hmmm it's possible.  But wasn't PS3 movment initially halted because LG got someone to stop Sony?  You'd think winning this case would only allow Sony to get their stuff back, not to sell it again, as you're claiming that is a separate issue.  Shouldn't the hold still be on then?  Sorry, I'm not really a master or European market law lmao

Well, do you think I am, xD?

I suspect that what LG is trying to do is stop PS3s from being distributed (or, more likely, collect royalties) in the long term. They were probably just trying to get Sony to act fast with this since they wouldn't be able to stop PS3s in the long term without winning the lawsuit.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

M.U.G.E.N said:
--

with LG still set to push for royalties that could be as high as $350 million.

acually LG was asking for $2.50 to $2.55 per Blu-ray player  - nowhere near $350m.

drkohler said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
--

acually LG was asking for $2.50 to $2.55 per Blu-ray player  - nowhere near $350m.

Did you read the link? Today with 47m PS3 sold the royalities are $150-180 million... but can be $350 million in future with more PS3 units sold and others Sony Blu-ray product.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
drkohler said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
--

Did you read the link? Today with 47m PS3 sold the royalities are $150-180 million... but can be $350 million in future with more PS3 units sold and others Sony Blu-ray product.

so they pay Sony for holding  ps3's and Sony pays it right beck to them for royalties?

Mummelmann said:

So peoples hopes are still alive for the PS3 to get hurt saleswise?

looks that way lol

goforgold said:
ethomaz said:
drkohler said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
--

so they pay Sony for holding  ps3's and Sony pays it right beck to them for royalties?

There are no court decision who made Sony to pay royalities to LG... just LG wants that ($150-180m now and $350 in future).

goforgold said:
ethomaz said:
drkohler said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
--

so they pay Sony for holding  ps3's

fixed

LG 'want' sony to pay them, it hasn't happened yet, and i doubt it will happen either

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

ethomaz said:
drkohler said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
--

Sony and LG had a cross-licensing agreement until some months(?) ago. All product manufactured by Sony while the cross-licensing agreement was in effect would not fall into the royalties clause. Some of the patents put forth by LG against Sony were not granted until late 2010 so that might have an additional effect, too.