By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mini reviews of games that reviewers told you to avoid ( they are wrong)

Its all up to peoples taste in gaming.

Some games I genuenly  liked even though I wasn't supposed to: Earth Defense Force, Deadly Premonition, Eat Lead: Matt Hazard, Sonic Unleashed

Some games I really hated: Castlevania LoS, God of War 3, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty Black ops

Its no secret I hate scripted story driven linear games, but like unique gaming experiences even if not polished...

Other people see things differently, so threads like this can't really be used as facts...but its nice to hear other peoples tastes in gaming regardless.

Around the Network

You just reminded me I have to go back and finish Nier. I have no idea why I put it down for a while, it's definitely one of the most unique action RPGs of this gen.

I don't know why a lot of people gush over Eternal Sonata and call it "underrated". boring story, uninteresting characters and a combat system so easy it's pointless. and don't get me started on the pretentious ending. Not the worst RPG I've played, it's just medicore. For shame, the music and the visuals were really good though.

Bah, Maxwell's post made me buy my 3rd game today... bastard. >.<

War Tech was fun. Inifinite Discovery was meh worthy...

I want Battle Fantasia

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

disolitude said:

Its all up to peoples taste in gaming.

Some games I genuenly  liked even though I wasn't supposed to: Earth Defense Force, Deadly Premonition, Eat Lead: Matt Hazard, Sonic Unleashed

Some games I really hated: Castlevania LoS, God of War 3, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty Black ops

Its no secret I hate scripted story driven linear games, but like unique gaming experiences even if not polished...

Other people see things differently, so threads like this can't really be used as facts...but its nice to hear other peoples tastes in gaming regardless.

Hitting the nail on the head with this one and basically agree with your list too on games you liked that were "bad" and which you didn't like cause it was linear, scripted, and all the same.

I spout off my feelings and tastes so people with similar tastes as me know what to expect.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Doobie_wop said:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Just like Dead to Rights, it's very fun. The story is pretty much non existent, but the action is really cool, the visuals are extremely nice and the combat is awesome. Playing the game made me feel like a god, a god that would lift storm troopers into the air and just chuck them aside like they were mere toys. It's a really fun game and it looks and runs very well. They forgot to add a decent plot and the ending is a little deflating, but in the six hours it took me to play the game, I had an awesome time and it's easly worth $25 or a rent. 7.5/10.

Eternal Sonata

Everyone should play it. It's easy to get into, it's beautiful, the soundtrack is great and the plot isn't half bad. I picked it up for a pretty low price and if you can do the same, then it's highly recommended. 

I can't comment on all these but I can commit that you are dead wrong on these two.  The force Unleashed II is awful layered on top of awful.  It might be decent if you get it for $20 or so dollars, but paying any more than that and it's a waste.  It doesn't cater to Star Wars fans because it rapes the license at every possible opportunity and it doesn't cater to action fans because there's simply *much* better out there.

As for Eternal Sonata, you're right that it's beyond gorgeous and the music is wonderful but the game itself blows.  It has been a very long time since I played it, but I remember my three biggest complains were 1) they give you a crap load of money in the first hour and you never get to use it, 2) Forte Fermata was one of the worst dungeons I've ever played, and 3) the bow chick was ridiculously overpowered.  In one attach she could heal your entire party and kill an enemy.

-edit-

Actually, found mini rants on Eternal Sonata.

Around the Network

eternal sonata got great reviews so i dont see how it was underrated, people just didnt give a damn about it

badgenome said:

I keep wanting to get Dead to Rights just because of the dog. Maybe I'll have the courage to do so now!

I would wait until the game is less than dirt cheap. The dog's death is nowhere near as funny as in fable 2

patapon said:
badgenome said:

I keep wanting to get Dead to Rights just because of the dog. Maybe I'll have the courage to do so now!

I would wait until the game is less than dirt cheap. The dog's death is nowhere near as funny as in fable 2

Thanks, badgenome. You have great taste and are always right, so I will do what you say.

MaxwellGT2000 said:

Wow... uhm they tell you to stay away from most of those cause those games blow, Neir is the only one thats fun and it did get some good reviews, but even then it's not the most innovative title, but for JRPG standards this gen it's in the top 5 lol.

Also it's Infinite not Infiniti building credibility (for people to trust your opinion) starts with using the correct spelling/name

Edit: Battle Fantasia is a good fighter as well, but it's from the Guility Gear team so it's to be expected, honestly it's better than BlazBlue, but again it had good reviews just no one bought it.

Meh, I base how much I like a game around how much fun I have with them. I've played games that have been borderline broken and I was easliy able to get some fun out of them.

Dead to Rights and Dark Void aren't broken, so they have already gone up and above that factor by adding some interesting gameplay elements and some other pluses (soundtrack, artstyle or whatever).

Also, like I said, Infinite Undiscovery is a stupid name, I had a slight aneurysm by just typing it.

BlazBlue is better, but I do prefer Battle Fantasia's art style.

I'm not a reviewer, I'm just a dude, a dude on a mission and that mission is to get people to play the lost and the damned, the fallen and down trodden and hopefully keep the C to B grade game alive. I am 65 and Below Man.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I don't get the Eternal Sonata hate, what's wrong with the game? It's probably one of the best ones on my list. I'll just add that I'm not a huge JRPG guy, so that's why I place more credit on ease of use over complexity.

I also agree with Disolitude, everythings based around a persons taste in games and some people may not share those tastes, but that's why I specifically mention that most of the titles should be bought at a lower price, rented or at least be demoed before purchase. Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, GTA IV and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are horrible games, but I'm sure that many people will disagree.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752