By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - why are so many ps3 games undertracked?

why are so many ps3 games undertracked?

gt5 is undertracked 46 29.87%

gt5 is where it should be 36 23.38%

all ps3 games are undertracked 72 46.75%

Total:154

guys i only want to know your opinuion on if this game is undertracked or not and that if vgchartz will have to update ps3 software sales! I don't care about any other game systems at the moment if you don't have an opinon you can leave

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Acevil said:
Torillian said:
phinch1 said:
osamanobama said:

only a 3 day ban, thats weak. it should have been more.

i dont think ive seen someone troll sony related topics more than him

I know he's always doing it but he normally keeps it a sly dig, this time he was just an outright nob about it

I don't get how he is a mod

Kowenicki is no longer staff, which is why the text for his name is in black, and he certainly isn't a mod.

OT: I don't think PS3 games are under or overtracked more than any other console's games.  For the most part I think Brett does a perfectly fine job at sales tracking, it just isn't perfect because you can never have 100% coverage for data like that.

Was Kowen ever mod? I don't get how one would think he is a mod. 

You are correct, he was never a mod, but I think people just use mod and staff as synonyms sometimes

well maybe brett can give us a good explaination why we think so many ps3 games are undertracked here especially for gt5 and why was the gt5 sold 6.37 million copies in 6 weeks thread put down? if this keeps going on for vg pro this site can land in a whole lot of trouble!

RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

well maybe brett can give us a good explaination why we think so many ps3 games are undertracked here especially for gt5 and why was the gt5 sold 6.37 million copies in 6 weeks thread put down? if this keeps going on for vg pro this site can land in a whole lot of trouble!

What kind of trouble?

the kind of trouble where people like me hate it when games are under or overtracked and are not given an explaintion!

for example a lot of people think that gt5 is undertracked and no one is given an explaination and that time when the thread "gt5 sold 6.37 million in 6 weeks" was closed no one knew why! with vg pro coming if people complain and no awnser is given there's gonna be a huge riot!

dsage01 said:
RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

What kind of trouble?

the kind of trouble where people like me hate it when games are under or overtracked and are not given an explaintion!

for example a lot of people think that gt5 is undertracked and no one is given an explaination and that time when the thread "gt5 sold 6.37 million in 6 weeks" was closed no one knew why! with vg pro coming if people complain and no awnser is given there's gonna be a huge riot!

The GT5 thread was closed because Brett thought the info was old, and he was right the information was old, but it was becoming news at that moment.  Luckily a few threads popped up of the same subject so I just told Brett that we could leave one of the newer threads up and I would leave the one he locked locked because iirc it had a slightly misleading or inaccurate title.  That is if I'm thinking of the correct thread.

meh like anyone cares on here, ps i voted for the third option.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
dsage01 said:
RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

What kind of trouble?

The GT5 thread was closed because Brett thought the info was old, and he was right the information was old, but it was becoming news at that moment.  Luckily a few threads popped up of the same subject so I just told Brett that we could leave one of the newer threads up and I would leave the one he locked locked because iirc it had a slightly misleading or inaccurate title.  That is if I'm thinking of the correct thread.

well can you give me a reason why you haven't  updated the gt5 numbers or given an explaination why gt5 isn't undertracked according to this site.Seriously man look at the gt5 wall so many people trolling it and saying it's undertracked or saying that vgchartz is a sony hater.  i'm just representing these people who are pissed of about this game being undertracked which is actually a whole lot!

dsage01 said:
Torillian said:
dsage01 said:
RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

What kind of trouble?

well can you give me a reason why you haven't  updated the gt5 numbers or given an explaination why gt5 isn't undertracked according to this site.Seriously man look at the gt5 wall so many people trolling it and saying it's undertracked or saying that vgchartz is a sony hater.  i'm just representing these people who are pissed of about this game being undertracked which is actually a whole lot!

Can't tell you, I'm just a moderator and review writer, I talked to Brett about that thread because it seemed like an unfair ban but I have no information on sales

edit: getting on a plane so don't expect another response for a few hours if you continue this conversation

Torillian said:
dsage01 said:
Torillian said:
dsage01 said:
RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

What kind of trouble?

Can't tell you, I'm just a moderator and review writer, I talked to Brett about that thread because it seemed like an unfair ban but I have no information on sales

edit: getting on a plane so don't expect another response for a few hours if you continue this conversation

okay but maybe you can ask brett why there is no reply look at the gt5 thread yourself

dsage01 said:
Torillian said:
dsage01 said:
RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

What kind of trouble?

Obviously I have no actual insight into the matter, but I think I've seen other members mention the issue of adjusting before. Before I start, I'll just say that I do believe GT5 is undertracked, but not too substantially (I think it's probably about 250,000 undertracked).

We can't before sure whether Brett (ioi) believes GT5 is undertracked or not. He hasn't clarified the matter (that I'm aware of), since GT5 shipment info was released by Polyphony Digital. So we can either assume he A) Believes VGChartz's figures are accurate or B) Believes they should be adjusted (either up or down, we don't know what he's thinking or the data he's processing) but isn't sure in what regions and by how many units.

If A) is true, we won't be seeing any adjustments.

If B) is true, as a lot of people think should be, it raises an interesting question about VGChartz. Assuming ioi believes GT5 is undertracked (as opposed to overtracked, as all evidence that suggests inaccuracy definitely seems to point towards undertracking), he may well be wondering how to adjust the figures. Assuming ioi believes GT5 is undertracked 250,000 (just to take a figure) and is relatively certain that sales should be ~5.9 million now, but isn't sure where it's undertracked, he is posed with an significant challenge. The most likely area for undertracking would appear to be EMEAA, but it would seem quite unprofessional to just add x% to weekly sales in EMEAA to "make the problem go away".

This leads me to believe that if ioi does believe GT5 is undertracked, the reason we've yet to see adjustments is because he isn't exactly sure where (which regions) and when (which weeks) need to be adjusted and by how much. ioi wouldn't want to just throw out adjustments to make the LTD sales figure accurate, he'd want to make sure the adjustments line up with all available data. The real issue seems to be the where and when of the sales when it comes to adjustments. While ioi might know the LTD sales, he mightn't be 100% certain of the regional/weekly breakdown, so he doesn't know where, or even whether, to adjust.

Perhaps the problem could be solved by having an "unknown" sales figure. So if sales are shown to be 5.65 million by VGC data, but are expected to be 5.9 overall, 250k could be shown as an "unknown regional breakdown" or something like that, so the LTD figure is as accurate as possible, without sacraficing the weekly/regional figures. That, in itself though, would also look quite unprofessional, and is likely the reason why ioi prefers to ensure adjustments are as accurate as possible before making any changes.

In conclusion, we'll really just have to wait and see, as adjustments (if there are to be any) will almost certainly take time to verify.

As for other games, the vast majority are quite accurate as far as I can see, apart from the likes of Rock Band 2 (but those are missing EMEAA sales for example, so obviously they are going to be inaccurate). The few games that do really stand out as inaccurate where data appears to be "complete", such as Sly Collection, appear to just be anamolies. Hopefully in the case of games like this, we'll see changes in the future, when more data is available.

And if you're suggesting VGChartz is deliberately undertracking PS3 software sales to make it look worse than it actually is performing (I'm not saying you are, I'm just saying it is possible for the OP/poll to be interpreted in that way), I don't believe that's the case. I just think there's not enough data for VGC to ever be 100% correct, but that doesn't mean it isn't still an excellent service that is among the most accurate available (and free of charge also).

GreyianStorm said:
dsage01 said:
Torillian said:
dsage01 said:
RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

What kind of trouble?

Obviously I have no actual insight into the matter, but I think I've seen other members mention the issue of adjusting before. Before I start, I'll just say that I do believe GT5 is undertracked, but not too substantially (I think it's probably about 250,000 undertracked).

We can't before sure whether Brett (ioi) believes GT5 is undertracked or not. He hasn't clarified the matter (that I'm aware of), since GT5 shipment info was released by Polyphony Digital. So we can either assume he A) Believes VGChartz's figures are accurate or B) Believes they should be adjusted (either up or down, we don't know what he's thinking or the data he's processing) but isn't sure in what regions and by how many units.

If A) is true, we won't be seeing any adjustments.

If B) is true, as a lot of people think should be, it raises an interesting question about VGChartz. Assuming ioi believes GT5 is undertracked (as opposed to overtracked, as all evidence that suggests inaccuracy definitely seems to point towards undertracking), he may well be wondering how to adjust the figures. Assuming ioi believes GT5 is undertracked 250,000 (just to take a figure) and is relatively certain that sales should be ~5.9 million now, but isn't sure where it's undertracked, he is posed with an significant challenge. The most likely area for undertracking would appear to be EMEAA, but it would seem quite unprofessional to just add x% to weekly sales in EMEAA to "make the problem go away".

This leads me to believe that if ioi does believe GT5 is undertracked, the reason we've yet to see adjustments is because he isn't exactly sure where (which regions) and when (which weeks) need to be adjusted and by how much. ioi wouldn't want to just throw out adjustments to make the LTD sales figure accurate, he'd want to make sure the adjustments line up with all available data. The real issue seems to be the where and when of the sales when it comes to adjustments. While ioi might know the LTD sales, he mightn't be 100% certain of the regional/weekly breakdown, so he doesn't know where, or even whether, to adjust.

Perhaps the problem could be solved by having an "unknown" sales figure. So if sales are shown to be 5.65 million by VGC data, but are expected to be 5.9 overall, 250k could be shown as an "unknown regional breakdown" or something like that, so the LTD figure is as accurate as possible, without sacraficing the weekly/regional figures. That, in itself though, would also look quite unprofessional, and is likely the reason why ioi prefers to ensure adjustments are as accurate as possible before making any changes.

In conclusion, we'll really just have to wait and see, as adjustments (if there are to be any) will almost certainly take time to verify.

As for other games, the vast majority are quite accurate as far as I can see, apart from the likes of Rock Band 2 (but those are missing EMEAA sales for example, so obviously they are going to be inaccurate). The few games that do really stand out as inaccurate where data appears to be "complete", such as Sly Collection, appear to just be anamolies. Hopefully in the case of games like this, we'll see changes in the future, when more data is available.

And if you're suggesting VGChartz is deliberately undertracking PS3 software sales to make it look worse than it actually is performing (I'm not saying you are, I'm just saying it is possible for the OP/poll to be interpreted in that way), I don't believe that's the case. I just think there's not enough data for VGC to ever be 100% correct, but that doesn't mean it isn't still an excellent service that is among the most accurate available (and free of charge also).

Well i don't have much to say after that but why couldn't Brett say that himself and clear the confusion out for people like me who thought GT5 was undertrakced along with many other ps3 games? I am not saying that Brett is a Sony hater or trying to say that he does a very horrible job of tracking games. I am just trying to say that he should show some respect to the members and listen to them if they have an inquiry for example (can you tell us why this game is undertracked) I would expect an awnser