By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Age of Empires Online on Xbox360 with Kinect? read on my friends :D

homer said:
AussieGecko said:
homer said:

Didn't the creators of Age of Empires get shut down by Microsoft some time ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensemble_Studios

If they do this, they should have a reputable developer to develop it. If not, it seems kind of risky to release a new one by an unproven dev,  with a new control scheme, which, to be honest, has yet to prove its abilities. Then again, if it has keyboard control schemes and kinect support, alongside a multiplat release on the 360 and pc, it would still sale well based on the brand name and recognition. I could be overestimating the Age of Empires brand recognition though...

Ensemble did yes, Ms owns the rights as they owned Ensemble. Everything Ensemble is Ms, Robot Entertainment who did the nitty gritty was part of Ensemble, then they are getting someone else to finish it off. 

Age Online is a fact. That is not the argument it is whether it will be on Kinect or not. 

When most casuals think of that game, (those that have) think of age of empires.

Is it out now, or still in development? Is it pay to play or free? I might be interested in playing thios game on my pc.

It's in beta now. I've played a bit and it does retain the AoE gameplay but with quests (basically campaign and scenario mode) and a fully customisable home city from which you can do PvP and unlock upgrades. It'll be free to play too via Games for Windows Live client (the only slight downside I've found so far, lol).

Around the Network

That would be kinda neat.

Wouldn't this be a problem with Kincects very limited controls already? I, and others hardly being able to navigate menus... When it is a breath of fresh air to turn off Kinect controls and go back to the controller, that says something. When I get that controller back in my hands, feeling "in total" control again, that kinda something about the motion controls. Are we using Kinect because IT IS the better option, or are we using Kincet because we WANT IT to be the better option? I've been sticking with a controller, and my mouse and keyboard on PC. I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

Hell if they could bring this game and Halo Wars 2 for Kinect then I would be sold.

200ms of lag at least on a game like this...

Around the Network

It guess it depends on how simple you want to make it. Halo wars was already simplified alot to fit on the limited buttons of a controller. Assigning keys to positions on the map and to different squads is kind of essential if you want to attack efficiently from 3 different sides while maintaining and defending your base. And kinect is definitely not precise enough to click on positions on the mini map.

Ruse with move and the navigation controller did not convince me either. Mouse and keyboard for rts and mmorpg.

i want age 4!!!

jonager said:

i want age 4!!!

they aleady got to the modern age or near enough, they cant go to advanced. I want them to HD-erise age 1 though

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Seece said:
naznatips said:
AussieGecko said:
TRios_Zen said:

While I stink at competitive RTS, I've always enjoyed playing the campaigns, and Age of Empires was always fun.

If this came out for the 360 that would be great!  I'd look forward to this and Halo Wars 2 as excuses to use Kinect on RTS, though having the option of being able to play without Kinect would ensure the game(s) reached the highest possible fan base.

yeah its a really good idea, might help take the last bastion of rts from pc if done right

Kinect isn't even close to precise enough to replace a mouse for hardcore RTS gamers. We would love cross platform with people using Kinect though. The massacre would be fun.

It's amazing how some people accept and adapt to different controllers . With the update (being able to track fingers ect) it'll make it even more precise.

Anyway, why would you need to play people who supposively have a sucky way of playing? Maybe you're just not very good?

While finger tracking will be great for some games. RTS it would not be. There is no way for it to know which unit or units you are pointing at exactly. I guess maybe groups might work.. but if you have a group of 40 units together bunched and you want to select 1 it will not work. Also drawing waypoints will not work well at all. Also, menus wont work unless you want to constantly say open this or that constantly which most RTS's need. Menu systems would need to be completely reworked into (ugly?) big buttons on the side or top of the screen.

The main issue is that there isn't one size of TV and even if they are the same size, resolution can be different. Whether its 480, 720, 768 (some tvs do this), or 1080, and all the other various tv resolutions around the world. Unless your TV is the exact size of the wall behind you, it will not work. RTS's need extreme accuracy, more than even shooters.

It would most likely work if you have another Kinect behind you that measures your TVs size and improve pointing accuracy though.

Finger movement tracking all that would be amazing for RPGs. Adds a new level of interactive casting. A Naruto game would be such a pain in the ass, lol.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

better on kinect? bold claim and I highly doubt it, at least when compared to keyboard/mouse.

Though I can definitely see it being better than the 360 control pad.