By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - the ultimate vs thread: Final Fantasy VII vs. Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Well. FF7 of course! I never finished Ocarina of Time. I've made several attempts, but quit in the middle of it. :/ I'll be getting the remake for 3DS though and this time I'll finish it.

Around the Network

OoT

I enjoyed that game, but other Zelda's are better...

As for FF7? I think it gets far too much credit than is deserved. I went back and tried to play it again about 5 months ago, and I just found it impossible to even get off the first disk. There's been FAR better RPG's than FF7, but there hasn't really been any better Action-Adventure games since OoT. Therefore OoT wins.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

OoT

As for FF7? I think it gets far too much credit than is deserved. I went back and tried to play it again about 5 months ago, and I just found it impossible to even get off the first disk. There's been FAR better RPG's than FF7, but there hasn't really been any better Action-Adventure games since OoT. Therefore OoT wins.

Name some RPG's you think are far better than FFVII. I, too, think there are better JRPG's than FFVII. But when it comes to linear story based RPG's, I think FFVII does it best. I'll always prefer JRPG's like DRagon Quest and the earlier FF's rather than the Kingdom Hearts/FFVII/FFX type.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Riot Of The Blood said:
Conegamer said:

OoT

Name some RPG's you think are far better than FFVII. I, too, think there are better JRPG's than FFVII. But when it comes to linear story based RPG's, I think FFVII does it best. I'll always prefer JRPG's like DRagon Quest and the earlier FF's rather than the Kingdom Hearts/FFVII/FFX type.

Well, you've already named some. Here's some more:

• Chrono Trigger
  • Dragon Quest (most the series)
  • FF12,10, 6, 4, 3
  • Xenogears, Xenoblade
  • Tales of Symphonia

That's probably most of them. Like you say, it does a great job, but in the era of the PS2, there were just many better RPG's, sadly, many I didn't get a chance to play. FF7 sits right in the middle. Some are better, some are worse. But there's no denying it's a good game, but it isn't the 'best' like so many seem to claim...

EDIT**

Damn, forgot Kingdom Hearts 2!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

*clicks on the Zelda OoT poll option*

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Conegamer said:

OoT

• Chrono Trigger
  • FF12,10, 6, 4, 3
  • Xenogears, Xenoblade
  • Tales of Symphonia

That's probably most of them. Like you say, it does a great job, but in the era of the PS2, there were just many better RPG's, sadly, many I didn't get a chance to play. FF7 sits right in the middle. Some are better, some are worse. But there's no denying it's a good game, but it isn't the 'best' like so many seem to claim...

EDIT**

Xenogears, most of DQ and ToS better than FF VII? FF IV/III/XII better? WHAT?

Look, FF VII is overrated, but it's still better than any of those.

Also, Chrono Trigger is superior to 99.9% of RPG's anyway, it's not a fair fight at all.

Ocarina of TIme, easily.

Ocarina of Time is the greatest game ever made, in my opinion, though FFVII is my second favourite Final Fantasy game.

Xen said:
Conegamer said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Conegamer said:

OoT

• Chrono Trigger
  • FF12,10, 6, 4, 3
  • Xenogears, Xenoblade
  • Tales of Symphonia

EDIT**

Xenogears, most of DQ and ToS better than FF VII? FF IV/III/XII better? WHAT?

Look, FF VII is overrated, but it's still better than any of those.

Also, Chrono Trigger is superior to 99.9% of RPG's anyway, it's not a fair fight at all.

A difference in opinion, as I think Dragon Quest, FFVII, FFVI, and ToS are all better than the overrated Chrono Trigger. Chrono Triiger just an inferior Dragon Quest knock-off. It's easily the most overrated JRPG of all time.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Conegamer said:
Riot Of The Blood said:
Conegamer said:

OoT

• Chrono Trigger
  • FFXII,X, VI, IV, III
  • Xenogears, Xenoblade
  • Tales of Symphonia

EDIT**

You forgot yo mention

• FFV, FFVIII, FFIX
  • GENSO SUIKODEN III, GENSO SUIKODEN V
  • Tales of the Abyss
  • Grandia
  • XENOSAGA series 
  • Dark Cloud
  • Dark Chronicle
  • Rogue Galaxy 
  • Persona series