By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

fps_d0minat0r said:

basically for fucking up PSN and enabling piracy on a mass scale and voilating the terms of the contract to which they signed and agreed before using the system.

if he wins, ps3 is over, piracy will proliferate, developers will close down, people will lose their jobs, ps3 gamers will have to switch to XBL and pay extra for an online connection they already have.

id rather save all that and hang 1 guy if i was the judge....maybe that would stop hackers in the future who go about ruining technology and digital media so they can enjoy their own homebrew shovelware crap.

The "He'll kill us al!" scenario will not work, and you really should thin twice before spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

In essence, your argument is, in order to ensure the safety of the network, we must give Sony complete control over our PS3s. Do you realise how retarded that sounds, needing to secure cients on a network?

Sony own the network, let them enforce the security from there. Do not let them tel you what can and can't do with the PS3 that YOU PURCHASED. If people want to cheat, who cares, but they cannot cheat on PSN or they're out.

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:

Why should Sony, or any company for that matter have to make thier security even tighter? When none of this would have happened if Geohot wouldn't have released Sony's keys. Why does there have to be a group of hackers that hack every system and then releases it? You are just proving my point even more. Im out of this thread anyways, its a mess in here.

So if doing this stuff was purely ilegal, why are there security measures to begin with?

Your point is a complete and uter shambles, like Sony's attept for cheap security. If you don't want to be hacked, enforce the proper security methods. Everyone else in the world who cares about their property has to. The difference is, a purcahsed PS3 is NOT SONY'S PROPERTY

Snesboy said:
tensen1212 said:

Personally I can see geohot winning this, throughout this whole "geohot hacking teh ps3" thing, geohot has been kicking sony's ass the entire time. But that is what I fear the most because if he wins everyone is gonna think its ok to hack the ps3 to the point where hackers are going to infest every online game on the ps3 and you can't do anything about it since its "the cool legal thing" to do.

To think that this all started because of sony removing the OtherOS feature, something that the vast majority of the ps3 users didn't even use. Seriously who buys a console to run an OS on it? you can download linux from 1000's of websites on your computer, why do you need it on the PS3?

Just to say you can. Like putting Linux on GameCube.

Actually most did it for "teh powerz of da cell" using a ps3 is the easiest/cheapest way to get access to the cell processor. I believe that is why the air force used it for its super computer and why others want to use it. The cell is a beast of a processor and works in a unique way from what I have been told. Alos alltho they let you install other os it was gimped and not given access to all hardware on the ps3, that is the reason it was opriginally hacked, to get access to the gpu and other spu. I could be wrong. But even though it had other OS it was still gimped, and stll would of bveen opened up more for proper home brew. Can't really make your own games without using the rsx.

superchunk said:
Ail said:
alekth said:

Here are the 8 claims he's being sued on, copied from engadget (comments are theirs as well).

• Violating §1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which forbids bypassing access control measures;
  • Violating the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which forbids accessing computers without authorization;
  • Guilty of contributory copyright infringement for encouraging and helping others to crack PS3s as well;
  • Violating the California Computer Crime Law, which is the state computer fraud act (think of this as a backup fraud claim);
  • Violating the PlayStation Network's Terms of Service (which feels meaningless, really);
  • Interfering with Sony's relationships with other PSN customers (also meaningless);
  • Trespassing on Sony's ownership right to the PS3 (this one feels weak) and;
  • Misappropriating Sony's intellectual property (another weak argument, but there in case the copyright argument fails).

After looking at the content of his jailbbreak I would think 3 and 8 can easily stick...

However, they cannot stand on their own. The require proof of breaking actual laws. 3 and 8 are simply supporting measures to add insult to injury.

While the DMCA states it as illegal, that same law also said it was illegal for him to jailbreak his iPhone. That portion of the law was determined as nonsensical in the courts and so now people can jailbreak his iPhone. It doesn't matter how the senate worded the law, it's up to the judicial system to determine how it should be interpreted. Senators don't know jack about technology and judges know this, so the moral issues will prevail and the PS3 and its firmware will be ours to mod if we feel like it.

People in this thread are just way too emotional because the PSN got screwed. I bet 6 months to a year from now you will have mostly forgotten about it and change your opinions on the subject. Don't let your emotions convince you to take away your freedoms.

fordy said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Why should Sony, or any company for that matter have to make thier security even tighter? When none of this would have happened if Geohot wouldn't have released Sony's keys. Why does there have to be a group of hackers that hack every system and then releases it? You are just proving my point even more. Im out of this thread anyways, its a mess in here.

So if doing this stuff was purely ilegal, why are there security measures to begin with?

Your point is a complete and uter shambles, like Sony's attept for cheap security. If you don't want to be hacked, enforce the proper security methods. Everyone else in the world who cares about their property has to. The difference is, a purcahsed PS3 is NOT SONY'S PROPERTY

yea no duh, radiant is just being dumb right now

he is basically saying "why shoudl sony have to lock their doors, the crooks should not enter the house"

tell that to an insurance agent when all your stuff is stolen.  "where you doors locked?"  "no, why would i need to lock doors, its my house, people should know not to go into it"  LOL

Its a business', hell its everyones job to protect their own things.  If security is lax, it is your job to tighten it. 

Around the Network

Jeez this whole Geohotz thing has been SO FUNNY! Thank you for making the start of 2011 so memorable!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

radiantshadow92 said:

You don't own the network, or those keys. Sony owns that. Geohot took it, and mass distributed it. Stop acting like the big bad sony is trying to take away your precious rights. If you don't like it, don't buy their product. I am sick of hearing you people wine about how this is "one step close to companies owning what we buy". Its not, companies are not out to get us, and EVEN on the SLIM chance that Sony wants to own us, guess what, Nintendo is around the block. Thats why theres competition.Atleast, accept that geohot is an asshole who needs to pay for distrubuting those keys. 

You're simply wrong.

He did nothing to the network, just the PS3 itself.

I can find directions on how to root any Android phone. Its the same thing as him releasing the PS3 master key as all that really is, is the pw to full root access over the entire PS3. Problem is, Sony f'ed up and did something that was critically wrong as that same pw gave access to the PSN as well. That was just stupid.

The day bluray launched, actually before, they master keys to its encryption was also posted online.

These actions are not illegal. They allow you to gain full control over the product you purchased. If I want to remove Verizon's bloat from my phone, I should be allowed to. In fact, had Verizon not locked all that software in there, I wouldn't have rooted my phone in the first place.

Same reason I haven't done anything to the PS3 as there is nothing I really want to change. However, that doesn't mean I forgo the legitimate rights to do so.

At the same time, I don't attack a hacker because of piracy. I attack the pirates for that.

I could beat the shit out of my wife for not listening to me if I wanted to, but I don't because its simply wrong. Same here, I could hack my Wii/PS3 and pirate the shit out of every movie and game in existance, I don't because its simply wrong.

You all need to keep this in perspective as a very real attack on your ownership rights.

irstupid said:
fordy said:
radiantshadow92 said:

he is basically saying "why shoudl sony have to lock their doors, the crooks should not enter the house"

tell that to an insurance agent when all your stuff is stolen.  "where you doors locked?"  "no, why would i need to lock doors, its my house, people should know not to go into it"  LOL

Its a business', hell its everyones job to protect their own things.  If security is lax, it is your job to tighten it. 

There are so many countries, where people leave thier door open. The reason this whole thing started, was being people were trying to crack open the ps3 with the OS feature in the first place! So like you said, Sony was trying to tighten thier security and make sure that no one got in by removing the feature. I am just saying, this would have never happened, if people would just be content with what they purchased in the first place, and not messed with the Sony's OS/network. There no reason to say i am being dumb because i disagree with you, thats just rude.

radiantshadow92 said:
irstupid said:
fordy said:
radiantshadow92 said:

There are so many countries, where people leave thier door open. The reason this whole thing started, was being people were trying to crack open the ps3 with the OS feature in the first place! So like you said, Sony was trying to tighten thier security and make sure that no one got in by removing the feature. I am just saying, this would have never happened, if people would just be content with what they purchased in the first place, and not messed with the Sony's OS/network. There no reason to say i am being dumb because i disagree with you, thats just rude.

i was saying you are being dumb for saying its not sony's job to tighten up security.

there is no way that can ever be thought of as a smart way of thinking.  obviously its sony's job to stop hackers or pirates or whatever from doing what they don't want them to do.

You may say its the police's job to stop criminals, but its still my own job to lock my own doors and keep my money safe.  I can't sit a $1000 in my mailbox and hope it to be there cause going into someone mailbox is illegal.  Pretty sure the cops will call me stupid for doing so.

As been pointed out, he wasn't trying to mess with their network, it just was a side-effect.  Its not his fault the key he found opened up every door in sony's house.  That's sony being dumb with their psn

superchunk said:
radiantshadow92 said:

You don't own the network, or those keys. Sony owns that. Geohot took it, and mass distributed it. Stop acting like the big bad sony is trying to take away your precious rights. If you don't like it, don't buy their product. I am sick of hearing you people wine about how this is "one step close to companies owning what we buy". Its not, companies are not out to get us, and EVEN on the SLIM chance that Sony wants to own us, guess what, Nintendo is around the block. Thats why theres competition.Atleast, accept that geohot is an asshole who needs to pay for distrubuting those keys. 

You're simply wrong.

He did nothing to the network, just the PS3 itself.

I can find directions on how to root any Android phone. Its the same thing as him releasing the PS3 master key as all that really is, is the pw to full root access over the entire PS3. Problem is, Sony f'ed up and did something that was critically wrong as that same pw gave access to the PSN as well. That was just stupid.

The day bluray launched, actually before, they master keys to its encryption was also posted online.

These actions are not illegal. They allow you to gain full control over the product you purchased. If I want to remove Verizon's bloat from my phone, I should be allowed to. In fact, had Verizon not locked all that software in there, I wouldn't have rooted my phone in the first place.

Same reason I haven't done anything to the PS3 as there is nothing I really want to change. However, that doesn't mean I forgo the legitimate rights to do so.

At the same time, I don't attack a hacker because of piracy. I attack the pirates for that.

I could beat the shit out of my wife for not listening to me if I wanted to, but I don't because its simply wrong. Same here, I could hack my Wii/PS3 and pirate the shit out of every movie and game in existance, I don't because its simply wrong.

You all need to keep this in perspective as a very real attack on your ownership rights.

I give up, no point in arguing further. We just have different veiws on consumer rights is all =/