By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

fordy said:
Rpruett said:

The case won't come down to ownership of systems. 

It will come down to distributing sensitive materials to millions of other people and grand-standing it (and knowing full well of the potential harm it would cause Sony.  This is not modifying your own console, this is giving instructions on how to modify in a very specific deviate manner to anyone and everyone. 

He can say publicly that he doesn't condone piracy all he wants,  but at the end of the day,  with the materials he released he will have a hard time proving that stance.

For example,  I could know exactly how to bomb the World Trade Center and where it was the most vulnerable, Maybe I helped build the WTC and had blueprints for them.  By releasing the blueprints online,  I would still get in trouble and by extension would probably be thrown in jail especially if my actions were proven to be ill-designed.

There's a difference between safety of corporate interests and safety of the public. Having the PS3 Master Keys fall into the wrong hands isn't going to kill people...

Absolutely,  I made an extreme example to make an extreme point.  The point being is,  you would be considered an accomplice in this situation or case, especially if they can convince the judge or jury that you did this in a deviate, ill-willed manner.   If he released the PS3 Master Keys,  It's obvious what his intentions were.  Additionally,  his mannerisms even seem to point towards more ill-willed intentions specifically towards Sony.

The same situation applies to various other things in life.  For example, you possess the blueprint for the floor plan of the Smithsonian Museum in DC and the Hope Diamond is located in there. You post this online and even little details about the Smithsonian making it more accessible for Thiefs.     You very well could be convicted of a crime. 

Around the Network
superchunk said:
alekth said:

Here are the 8 claims he's being sued on, copied from engadget (comments are theirs as well).

• Violating §1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which forbids bypassing access control measures;
  • Violating the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which forbids accessing computers without authorization;
  • Guilty of contributory copyright infringement for encouraging and helping others to crack PS3s as well;
  • Violating the California Computer Crime Law, which is the state computer fraud act (think of this as a backup fraud claim);
  • Violating the PlayStation Network's Terms of Service (which feels meaningless, really);
  • Interfering with Sony's relationships with other PSN customers (also meaningless);
  • Trespassing on Sony's ownership right to the PS3 (this one feels weak) and;
  • Misappropriating Sony's intellectual property (another weak argument, but there in case the copyright argument fails).

... and here it is people. What I've detailed over and over again in this thread. This bullet point is what it all summarizes down to. This is the precedent we cannot have set in the courts.

I don't want to go into another longer post, that will just get ignored as no one really can disagree with it, but all I have to say is NO SONY, I OWN MY PS3!

You don't own the network, or those keys. Sony owns that. Geohot took it, and mass distributed it. Stop acting like the big bad sony is trying to take away your precious rights. If you don't like it, don't buy their product. I am sick of hearing you people wine about how this is "one step close to companies owning what we buy". Its not, companies are not out to get us, and EVEN on the SLIM chance that Sony wants to own us, guess what, Nintendo is around the block. Thats why theres competition.Atleast, accept that geohot is an asshole who needs to pay for distrubuting those keys. 

I'm sure his intentions were as geddesmond said, "He hacked the PS3 because people said it couldn't be hacked."  However, it seems that many people have haven't taken some basic law classes (big surprise).  He is in the right here, and many previous court findings agree with him. 

If I want to buy a basketball and hit it with a baseball bat, even though it was intended to be shot through a hoop, I can do it.  Same as this.

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

even if he wins he won't be able to use PSN and for all his efforts Sony will continue to find ways around them, him, and whoever else tries to hack PS3 systems.

Talk about missing the point entirely.

Along with nearly everyone else in this thread.

Mr Jackson, could you change the way you spell "sales" from the way you currently spell it as "sells".

"Sells" isn't a real word in the context you use it all the time in. You or I can "sell" something, The collective term is "sales", no matter how often you deliberately mis-spell it.

Thanx

Rpruett said:
fordy said:
Rpruett said:

The case won't come down to ownership of systems. 

It will come down to distributing sensitive materials to millions of other people and grand-standing it (and knowing full well of the potential harm it would cause Sony.  This is not modifying your own console, this is giving instructions on how to modify in a very specific deviate manner to anyone and everyone. 

He can say publicly that he doesn't condone piracy all he wants,  but at the end of the day,  with the materials he released he will have a hard time proving that stance.

For example,  I could know exactly how to bomb the World Trade Center and where it was the most vulnerable, Maybe I helped build the WTC and had blueprints for them.  By releasing the blueprints online,  I would still get in trouble and by extension would probably be thrown in jail especially if my actions were proven to be ill-designed.

There's a difference between safety of corporate interests and safety of the public. Having the PS3 Master Keys fall into the wrong hands isn't going to kill people...

Absolutely,  I made an extreme example to make an extreme point.  The point being is,  you would be considered an accomplice in this situation or case, especially if they can convince the judge or jury that you did this in a deviate, ill-willed manner.   If he released the PS3 Master Keys,  It's obvious what his intentions were.  Additionally,  his mannerisms even seem to point towards more ill-willed intentions specifically towards Sony.

The same situation applies to various other things in life.  For example, you possess the blueprint for the floor plan of the Smithsonian Museum in DC and the Hope Diamond is located in there. You post this online and even little details about the Smithsonian making it more accessible for Thiefs.     You very well could be convicted of a crime. 

Actually, no you couldn't. You really should check up on your law, because proof like that would NOT stand up in court. You'd need a ton more evidence to convict him for this, but hey newsflash, HE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING LEGALLY WRONG.

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
superchunk said:
alekth said:

Here are the 8 claims he's being sued on, copied from engadget (comments are theirs as well).

• Violating §1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which forbids bypassing access control measures;
  • Violating the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, which forbids accessing computers without authorization;
  • Guilty of contributory copyright infringement for encouraging and helping others to crack PS3s as well;
  • Violating the California Computer Crime Law, which is the state computer fraud act (think of this as a backup fraud claim);
  • Violating the PlayStation Network's Terms of Service (which feels meaningless, really);
  • Interfering with Sony's relationships with other PSN customers (also meaningless);
  • Misappropriating Sony's intellectual property (another weak argument, but there in case the copyright argument fails).

... and here it is people. What I've detailed over and over again in this thread. This bullet point is what it all summarizes down to. This is the precedent we cannot have set in the courts.

I don't want to go into another longer post, that will just get ignored as no one really can disagree with it, but all I have to say is NO SONY, I OWN MY PS3!

You don't own the network, or those keys. Sony owns that. Geohot took it, and mass distributed it. Stop acting like the big bad sony is trying to take away your precious rights. If you don't like it, don't buy their product. I am sick of hearing you people wine about how this is "one step close to companies owning what we buy". Its not, companies are not out to get us, and EVEN on the SLIM chance that Sony wants to own us, guess what, Nintendo is around the block. Thats why theres competition.Atleast, accept that geohot is an asshole who needs to pay for distrubuting those keys. 

Read that point again. This is referring ownership to the PS3. The piece of hardware that people are buying with their money. Oh and for the record, Sony cannot own the keys. Binary integers are not up for copyright.

fordy said:
radiantshadow92 said:
superchunk said:
alekth said:

Read that point again. This is referring ownership to the PS3. The piece of hardware that people are buying with their money. Oh and for the record, Sony cannot own the keys. Binary integers are not up for copyright.

I know what its reffering to but geohot stole something that wasn't his to take. Binary intergers is just the means to take what Sony owns. Either way, its Sony's network and OS.

radiantshadow92 said:
fordy said:
radiantshadow92 said:
superchunk said:
alekth said:

I know what its reffering to but geohot stole something that wasn't his to take. Binary intergers is just the means to take what Sony owns. Either way, its Sony's network and OS.

And please tell me, how are Sony powerless to reinforce the security of THEIR own network? They've been pursuing the wrong method of security and whinge and cry that it didn't work. Of course it didn't work! It's client-side security on a multiuser online environment. Now they're feeling the pain for making such a retarded decision.

Honestly, a group of hardware AND software engineers should have known better from the very beginning....

tensen1212 said:

Personally I can see geohot winning this, throughout this whole "geohot hacking teh ps3" thing, geohot has been kicking sony's ass the entire time. But that is what I fear the most because if he wins everyone is gonna think its ok to hack the ps3 to the point where hackers are going to infest every online game on the ps3 and you can't do anything about it since its "the cool legal thing" to do.

To think that this all started because of sony removing the OtherOS feature, something that the vast majority of the ps3 users didn't even use. Seriously who buys a console to run an OS on it? you can download linux from 1000's of websites on your computer, why do you need it on the PS3?

Just to say you can. Like putting Linux on GameCube.

fordy said:
radiantshadow92 said:
fordy said:
radiantshadow92 said:
superchunk said:
alekth said:

And please tell me, how are Sony powerless to reinforce the security of THEIR own network? They've been pursuing the wrong method of security and whinge and cry that it didn't work. Of course it didn't work! It's client-side security on a multiuser online environment. Now they're feeling the pain for making such a retarded decision.

Honestly, a group of hardware AND software engineers should have known better from the very beginning....

Why should Sony, or any company for that matter have to make thier security even tighter? When none of this would have happened if Geohot wouldn't have released Sony's keys. Why does there have to be a group of hackers that hack every system and then releases it? You are just proving my point even more. Im out of this thread anyways, its a mess in here.