By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 to out future-proof the ps3?

360 to out future-proof the ps3?

True 121 31.19%

False 267 68.81%

Total:388
AussieGecko said:
Demonslayersoultaker said:

20 single layer blu rays (25 gigs each) are significantly cheaper then 1 32 GB flash drive if you were a publisher which medium would you use?

Blu ray isn't going to be outdated anytime soon, the proof of that is that dvd isn't outdated, blu ray will replace dvd at the very least in palces without fast internet assuming streaming wins the dominate market share, so while you may argue blu ray isn't the dominate and maybe even never will be it will still be sold and again you haven't addressed my original point which is blu ray is better for GAMES PS3 selling due to blu ray has nothing to do wtih the potential it adds to GAMES 

It has nothing to do with publishers, pirates are taking over the movie industry hence why MW2 sold so damn much compared to movies. 3D is an attempt to stop pirating imo and that is all it is an attempt.

Look around the world, ps2's are outselling wiis and 360s in the "3rd worlds" because they are easier and cheaper to get. Dvds are much much cheaper than Blu-rays FACT!

DVD's do the same as Blu-rays blu-rays just have higher space, dont let anyone tell you differently, hdmi upscale dvd player will run the same quality as a blu-ray if the same amount is fit on both. Blu-ray tech is not better just bigger, they are zip drives if you will, everyone though zip drives would win then came cd's and usb sticks which killed them off.

Blu-ray is outdated, by Digital Distribution, now its not if Digital will take over, its when. For Blu-ray its if and when. The places with the slower internet, Australia is one, we call 30mbps quick, we are finally getting 100mbps if the plan goes ahead, but even that isnt quick in comparison to some places, see south korea for quick internet and japan.

And I did answer you first point because Games have everything to do with Formats of drives. As I said PS3 is selling partly because of the Blu-ray player. Don't deny this, can Blu-ray hold more? Of course it can, will it be on the next playstation if there is one? I wouldnt put my house on it. And you can bet your bottom dollar that MS most likely wont use it for the next system they will find something else to use most likely.

Blu-rays as a whole suck when it comes to gaming anyway to directly play from, and I have a reason for it as well, A lot of PS3 games have to be installed (even multiplats) because of the speed of the Blu-ray player, it is amazing that some games run directly off the blu-ray player. The DVD speeds run much much quicker, hence why there is no necessary installs on the 360, hence why they can release a 4gb console. And a 256mb before than, because they dont need the space. PS3 NEEDS space on the HDD.

Argue all you want  but you havent given sufficient evidence why Blu-ray is the definitive next format. Your arguments seem baseless. Almost you want it to be true not that it will be.

I don't care how much piracy is hurting gaming, publishers aren't going to pay 35 times as much for what they put their games on.

I'll try to explain this in ways you'll understand, higher quality moving pictures need more space, blu ray have more space and digital distribution can't match blu ray in the best of places never mind the worst, dvd is going obsoliete and blu ray is taking over, digial distribution is great for renting, sucks if you want to keep the movie, your harddrive would fill up too fast and again blu rays are cheaper then harddrives so if you want to own a big collection of movies, blu ray is your only option

I never denied ps3 was selling partly because of blu ray I'm claming it's better for games regardless and of course MS won't use blu ray their competitors would get royalties from every game made if they did, more like they'll use HD-dvd or some other unique medium that has no play in the movie industry but it will be in the next playstation regardless 

Oh wrong again, blu rays run at a faster speed then dvds (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23916169&user=skektek),  the ps3s blu ray drive is just outdated (it's a 2x 360s is a 12x) and if you think my arguements are baseless you should look at your own, and what do think the pricing between blu rays and harddrives are if not evidence and there are games with nessary installs on the 360, it's just a few no one makes them anymore because of the arcade model it has little to do with dvd just like there are ps3 games that don't need an install and 360 games with optional installs you are wrong on every point 

And again more space=potentially better games (more content, higher res textures, more room for complicated programs ect) 

Around the Network

We have to wait and see how long the wow factor for Kinect lasts. If it lasts as long as the Wii Remote, then yes, if not, then no.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I don't care how much piracy is hurting gaming, publishers aren't going to pay 35 times as much for what they put their games on.

I didnt say gaming I said movies, read comprehension is good for you.

I'll try to explain this in ways you'll understand, higher quality moving pictures need more space, blu ray have more space and digital distribution can't match blu ray in the best of places never mind the worst, dvd is going obsoliete and blu ray is taking over, digial distribution is great for renting, sucks if you want to keep the movie, your harddrive would fill up too fast and again blu rays are cheaper then harddrives so if you want to own a big collection of movies, blu ray is your only option

It is more space yes, not better technology, as far as I know HD DVD was in fact that, blu-ray is more space, they are two different things. Digital distribution can in fact match them... and is. Go to torrentz.com and type in any movie or show with 1080p or 720p... matched... Not condoning piracy but that is just wrong. Proof why you think Blu-ray is going to takeover... I havent seen it yet. Ha really if you want to own a collection blu-ray is your only option, I know people that have more than 1 thousand movies on certain hard drives, if you take out crap like bonus features blu-ray discs become much much smaller, and can come down to about 1-2 gb

I never denied ps3 was selling partly because of blu ray I'm claming it's better for games regardless and of course MS won't use blu ray their competitors would get royalties from every game made if they did, more like they'll use HD-dvd or some other unique medium that has no play in the movie industry but it will be in the next playstation regardless 

Actually as I said Gaming is directly linked to Movies if you are talking about a successful format, although popular, wii's discs will never catch on. It will never be the successful format, Blu-ray was used because of movies, dont seperate them please. MS makes money on every ps3 because of Blu-ray technologies, research is your friend. I would love to see proof how you think Blu-ray will last till nextgen ps because as far as the news articles seem to say the next ps is put on hold.

Oh wrong again, blu rays run at a faster speed then dvds (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23916169&user=skektek),  the ps3s blu ray drive is just outdated (it's a 2x 360s is a 12x) and if you think my arguements are baseless you should look at your own, and what do think the pricing between blu rays and harddrives are if not evidence and there are games with nessary installs on the 360, it's just a few no one makes them anymore because of the arcade model it has little to do with dvd just like there are ps3 games that don't need an install and 360 games with optional installs you are wrong on every point 

Considering you are currently coming back to gaming we have to talk about PS3's slow Blu-ray player, so as far as GAMING is concerned DVD's are better in spite of space, but speed. Please rip apart my arguments and explain which is baseless, this is not the first conversation I have had abou this topic. So you  prefer to use a blu-ray disc to transport data rather than a hdd, if thats the case fine... you are one of the few. The majority of people seem to be skipping blu-rays and head straight to usb sticks, port hdds. No there are no games that need installing, kinect as a hardware device needs installing. Forza 3 can be played without installing... no games need installation on the 360. Tell me which games because you seem to be wrong in this case.

Optional installs yes, but that is too make the dvd drive softer and the game to run quickers its not required, you can still play the game without it.

And again more space=potentially better games (more content, higher res textures, more room for complicated programs ect) 

in your brackets a better game does not make. More content, possibly, higher res textures, a better game does not necessarily need this, look at braid for example. more room for complicated programs... wtf?

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

AussieGecko said:

I didnt say gaming I said movies, read comprehension is good for you.

Plubishers publish movies too...

It is more space yes, not better technology, as far as I know HD DVD was in fact that, blu-ray is more space, they are two different things. Digital distribution can in fact match them... and is. Go to torrentz.com and type in any movie or show with 1080p or 720p... matched... Not condoning piracy but that is just wrong. Proof why you think Blu-ray is going to takeover... I havent seen it yet. Ha really if you want to own a collection blu-ray is your only option, I know people that have more than 1 thousand movies on certain hard drives, if you take out crap like bonus features blu-ray discs become much much smaller, and can come down to about 1-2 gb

You keep asking for proof yet providing none, and you've never seen a blu ray have you, and in terms of mediums for games/movies more space low production cost = better tech, what do you think better tech is?

Actually as I said Gaming is directly linked to Movies if you are talking about a successful format, although popular, wii's discs will never catch on. It will never be the successful format, Blu-ray was used because of movies, dont seperate them please. MS makes money on every ps3 because of Blu-ray technologies, research is your friend. I would love to see proof how you think Blu-ray will last till nextgen ps because as far as the news articles seem to say the next ps is put on hold.

What? None of that makes sense, gaming is indirectly related to movies at best, Sony makes money off of blu rays not MS, and blu ray will last because I don't see a need for games or movies to exceed 50 GB anytime soon and even if they do Sony already has a 100 GB blu ray made and digital distribution will grow but it won't replace physical media your the one that needs to do research

Considering you are currently coming back to gaming we have to talk about PS3's slow Blu-ray player, so as far as GAMING is concerned DVD's are better in spite of space, but speed. Please rip apart my arguments and explain which is baseless, this is not the first conversation I have had abou this topic. So you  prefer to use a blu-ray disc to transport data rather than a hdd, if thats the case fine... you are one of the few. The majority of people seem to be skipping blu-rays and head straight to usb sticks, port hdds. No there are no games that need installing, kinect as a hardware device needs installing. Forza 3 can be played without installing... no games need installation on the 360. Tell me which games because you seem to be wrong in this case.

Again productions costs for usb sticks and HDDs of comparible size are much higher, and again blu ray is faster then dvd and holds more what the hell is your point, and again if MS didn't have the arcade model (no HDD) a ton of games would need install and again there are 360 games that need install they are just few and old why do I have to repeat everything to you? More disk space = more potential content, better textures and more complicated programs in the games compare that to a slightly lower read speed and I think the extra space wins out 

Optional installs yes, but that is too make the dvd drive softer and the game to run quickers its not required, you can still play the game without it.

Again no installs is cuz of arcade model not dvd, and it's a pain in the ass for devs 

in your brackets a better game does not make. More content, possibly, higher res textures, a better game does not necessarily need this, look at braid for example. more room for complicated programs... wtf?

Games have to have a certain standard in terms of how well it looks, more room for that means you have more room left for game, and for programs stuff like AI's and combat machanics not to mention the engine itself which most certainly do make a better game

WTF is this argument about digital distribution all about? Quite frankly the biggest portion of gaming is already digitially distributed so get over it people. Everything from WOW, DLC, Steam, online portals bla bla bla it makes over half so thats what matters.

Anyway we haven't seen what Sony has done with Move. They're pretty lazy and their products usually dont get good support at first but they usually get there in the end. Maybe after this year we'll be able to judge how well Move will last.

Tease.

Around the Network

Plubishers publish movies too...

And you were talking about games

You keep asking for proof yet providing none, and you've never seen a blu ray have you, and in terms of mediums for games/movies more space low production cost = better tech, what do you think better tech is?

Dont make me take a picture of my collection, I have blu-rays yes, but in terms of space is all blu-rays have over DVD's not image quality, in that they are the same.

And you are trying to say better tech is making it look better, that is not the case.

What? None of that makes sense, gaming is indirectly related to movies at best, Sony makes money off of blu rays not MS, and blu ray will last because I don't see a need for games or movies to exceed 50 GB anytime soon and even if they do Sony already has a 100 GB blu ray made and digital distribution will grow but it won't replace physical media your the one that needs to do research

You are talking about a format, this is repetitive, a format has to do with movies more than games. If it fails for movies it will fail as a format. More people watch movies than play games. Yes MS also makes money out of blu-rays. Ms owns a shite load of codecs, a few of them are used in the ps3 and blu-ray players, believe me or dont, i dont care at this point.

Again productions costs for usb sticks and HDDs of comparible size are much higher, and again blu ray is faster then dvd and holds more what the hell is your point, and again if MS didn't have the arcade model (no HDD) a ton of games would need install and again there are 360 games that need install they are just few and old why do I have to repeat everything to you? More disk space = more potential content, better textures and more complicated programs in the games compare that to a slightly lower read speed and I think the extra space wins out 

My point is that to be a successful format Blu-rays have to cover all these, CD's when released, same as DVD's did this, now its getting done by DD, do you own a portable hard drive and or a usb? If that is the case, you are giving creedence to DD. Name the games or don't talk crap. MS has compensated more than enough in this regard, FFXIII wasnt done half arsedly because of the space it was done that way because of laziness, enough developers have come out and said as much. So far as far as I know there is no game that cant be done on the 360 that can be done on the PS3.

Again no installs is cuz of arcade model not dvd, and it's a pain in the ass for devs 

No its not because of the arcade model, the arcade model was brought out because you should have to install on the 360. It is speed, or games wouldnt run as quick. Forza 3 did the extra space for content, nothing to do with speed in that aspect, hence why it is not needed. 

Games have to have a certain standard in terms of how well it looks, more room for that means you have more room left for game, and for programs stuff like AI's and combat machanics which most certainly do make a better game

AI? Name one game definitely on the PS3 that has better AI than they 360. or combat mechanics. If there is none you are talking bollocks. I am not needing proof as I am not talking out of my bum.

Squilliam said:

WTF is this argument about digital distribution all about? Quite frankly the biggest portion of gaming is already digitially distributed so get over it people. Everything from WOW, DLC, Steam, online portals bla bla bla it makes over half so thats what matters.

Anyway we haven't seen what Sony has done with Move. They're pretty lazy and their products usually dont get good support at first but they usually get there in the end. Maybe after this year we'll be able to judge how well Move will last.

What are you talking about it's being included in like almost every game, Sony is treating it like a controller which is what it is as for the digital distribution it's not going to take over we just don't have big enough hard drives to be exclusively dependant on it and since media size keeps increasing we won't for a long time, home games will be physical media mainly, and movies will be for buying digital for renting (in the most networked developed areas) and they actually added up the revenue, physical media is still getting more even counting iphone and such (it's close but physical media still more)

Squilliam said:

Agreed. its a pain in the arse argument.

Don't agree with Move necessarily though their stuff because of how far away it seems to be from PC in programming is going to be harder at the start. Its not necessarily because they are lazy, thats just my opinion though. Though I agree after this year will be the true factor for move .

AussieGecko said:

And you were talking about games

Both ways I'm right 

Dont make me take a picture of my collection, I have blu-rays yes, but in terms of space is all blu-rays have over DVD's not image quality, in that they are the same.

And you are trying to say better tech is making it look better, that is not the case.

space equals image quality...

You are talking about a format, this is repetitive, a format has to do with movies more than games. If it fails for movies it will fail as a format. More people watch movies than play games. Yes MS also makes money out of blu-rays. Ms owns a shite load of codecs, a few of them are used in the ps3 and blu-ray players, believe me or dont, i dont care at this point.

Again unique formats work for gaming all the time, since it's Sony, Nintendo and MS that deceide what the games go on, and a codec that's it who the hell cares about a codec it's nothing compared to what Sony makes off blu rays, and thats assuming you aren't wrong about MSes codecs being on blu ray and it won't fail you have nothing to suggest it will

My point is that to be a successful format Blu-rays have to cover all these, CD's when released, same as DVD's did this, now its getting done by DD, do you own a portable hard drive and or a usb? If that is the case, you are giving creedence to DD. Name the games or don't talk crap. MS has compensated more than enough in this regard, FFXIII wasnt done half arsedly because of the space it was done that way because of laziness, enough developers have come out and said as much. So far as far as I know there is no game that cant be done on the 360 that can be done on the PS3.

I never said digital distribution wasn't growing just that it wouldn't replace physical on home consoles and movies and blu ray IS successful now and FFXIII's drop in textures was because of the 360 having less disk space not to mention the cut content and thats with multiple disks 

No its not because of the arcade model, the arcade model was brought out because you should have to install on the 360. It is speed, or games wouldnt run as quick. Forza 3 did the extra space for content, nothing to do with speed in that aspect, hence why it is not needed. 

Lets see what makes more sense, devs not making games that need installs because MS won't let it through and it will reduce their userbase since there's an arcade model or because you say so? PC games use dvds and always have installs 

AI? Name one game definitely on the PS3 that has better AI than they 360. or combat mechanics. If there is none you are talking bollocks. I am not needing proof as I am not talking out of my bum.

Uncharted 2, Infamous, God of War 3, Yakuza 3, LAIR (better AI impossible on 360, despite what you'll say about the reviews) ect. and yes you are and yes you do but there is none so just admit I'm right 

Hell no, 360 has a dvd drive

News Just in it has a DVD drive... Hold on you are going to have to explain why you think that is a problem. I have yet to see how the lack of Blu Ray affected sales and I fail to see how it will affect it going forward. The PS3 having a Blu Ray drive does not actually make it a requirement to succeed or indeed be future proof.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.