By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 to out future-proof the ps3?

360 to out future-proof the ps3?

True 121 31.19%

False 267 68.81%

Total:388

npd said 3 fifths of total HW for 360 where kinect bundles

http://www.examiner.com/console-gaming-in-national/xbox-360-kinect-titles-outselling-playstation-move-titles

Play Me

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
kowenicki said:

This information is interesting... so do you both think that US numners are articfically low?  I mean due to supply of non kinect 360's?

I can tell you right now with a FACT that US numbers are "artifically low" due to the lack of the cheaper model 360's.  We have people come into our stores every day looking for arcades or the 250 GB stand alone model but we can't sell them one because we don't have any.  The shortages are very real and they still haven't been completly fixed.  And if people wonder to my accuracy on these kinds of things I correctly prediction when we had Kinect at 5 million on this site that it was actually at 7 million.  The next day it was adjusted to 7.1 million on the site.  I see company numbers and am able to give reasonable basis and prediciton as to numbers.

I can correlate with this information.  My girlfriend is a manager at GameStop as well and every time I am in there they are out off all 360's, even the used/refurbs fly out the door lately.

kitler53 said:

so here are my basic observations:

• pretty much all last month ps3 had a $50 discount in the USA

kitler53 why dont u tell us about the $50 discount on PS3 already.  How widespread are these discounts?

Slimebeast said:
kitler53 said:

so here are my basic observations:

• pretty much all last month ps3 had a $50 discount in the USA

kitler53 why dont u tell us about the $50 discount on PS3 already.  How widespread are these discounts?

what's to tell, target put a $50 gift card on all ps3s and amazon matched it.  was suppose to last a short time but then it was extended, ended up lasting about a month in total.  looks like the deal is still valid at bestbuy from what i just checked.

Dont know for sure, but personally, I would prefer the position of Sony where you dont have all your eggs in the same basket for similar results.

Around the Network

I still think the 360 will be out of production before the PS3 will but the Kinect added at least one more year to the 360's life cycle.

Demonslayersoultaker said:

Harddrives are not killing blu rays, harddrives are bigger yes but blu rays are infantly cheaper then a comparable size/physical size harddrive and the speed issue is still there with downloading, most of the consumer base doesn't have the connection to download that high quality within a resonable amount of time and in 10 years most of them still won't especially in other areas in the world one or two games is one thing but if you put every full game on your harddrive it would fill up incredibly fast not to mention the whole having to download that much, unlimited internet still has caps for downloading and you'd reach them 

Movies have nothing to do with medium for gaming, several times companies have used unique mediums for games, (gamecube, snes, genesis, psp ect) so even if dvd won movies for the next million years blu ray would still be better for games because it gives the developers more room to work and make a better game 

harddrives are quicker than blu-ray and the portability as you only need a usb port outweighs blu-ray usability.

Honestly this conversation could go on forever, if you believe that fine, you should say imo, blu-ray is not a definted upgrade, it hasnt won the battle, you are talking like it has. Piracy believe it or not are ripping sales off blu-ray more than they did with dvds imo that is why the prices have plummetted on blu-ray movies, in aus for ex they entered the market at around 60, now you can get some for around 20. Some PS3 games budget games are now 10. Which is extraordinary.

Imo HD-DVD (from ms point of view, or they would have put it in the 360) was simply to fight blu-ray so Digital Distribution would get a foothold, it has done what was necessary.

Movies have EVERYTHING to do with medium for gaming as some people buy a ps3 for a blu-ray and this is plain and down the road fact. If PS3 uses an obsolete disc drive than sales will drop (not saying to a high extent) But i personally know people who chose the ps3 because of the blu-ray.

It is almost Naive to think that gaming medium is strong enough to last on their own, look at UMD, you could play movies on it as well but as a format it failed and movies stopped getting made for them.

Give me a reasonable point to converse against or we are simply going around in circles...

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Icyedge said:

Dont know for sure, but personally, I would prefer the position of Sony where you dont have all your eggs in the same basket for similar results.

Everybodies relying on something, they are relying on blu-ray

AussieGecko said:

Harddrives are not killing blu rays, harddrives are bigger yes but blu rays are infantly cheaper then a comparable size/physical size harddrive and the speed issue is still there with downloading, most of the consumer base doesn't have the connection to download that high quality within a resonable amount of time and in 10 years most of them still won't especially in other areas in the world one or two games is one thing but if you put every full game on your harddrive it would fill up incredibly fast not to mention the whole having to download that much, unlimited internet still has caps for downloading and you'd reach them 

Movies have nothing to do with medium for gaming, several times companies have used unique mediums for games, (gamecube, snes, genesis, psp ect) so even if dvd won movies for the next million years blu ray would still be better for games because it gives the developers more room to work and make a better game 

harddrives are quicker than blu-ray and the portability as you only need a usb port outweighs blu-ray usability.

Honestly this conversation could go on forever, if you believe that fine, you should say imo, blu-ray is not a definted upgrade, it hasnt won the battle, you are talking like it has. Piracy believe it or not are ripping sales off blu-ray more than they did with dvds imo that is why the prices have plummetted on blu-ray movies, in aus for ex they entered the market at around 60, now you can get some for around 20. Some PS3 games budget games are now 10. Which is extraordinary.

Imo HD-DVD (from ms point of view, or they would have put it in the 360) was simply to fight blu-ray so Digital Distribution would get a foothold, it has done what was necessary.

Movies have EVERYTHING to do with medium for gaming as some people buy a ps3 for a blu-ray and this is plain and down the road fact. If PS3 uses an obsolete disc drive than sales will drop (not saying to a high extent) But i personally know people who chose the ps3 because of the blu-ray.

It is almost Naive to think that gaming medium is strong enough to last on their own, look at UMD, you could play movies on it as well but as a format it failed and movies stopped getting made for them.

Give me a reasonable point to converse against or we are simply going around in circles...

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97090-Blu-ray-Single-Layer-Recordable/dp/B002WCRC2S/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298102030&sr=1-10

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-DataTraveler-102-Flash-Drive/dp/B002TSLFSC/ref=sr_1_97?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298102233&sr=1-97

20 single layer blu rays (25 gigs each) are significantly cheaper then 1 32 GB flash drive if you were a publisher which medium would you use?

Blu ray isn't going to be outdated anytime soon, the proof of that is that dvd isn't outdated, blu ray will replace dvd at the very least in palces without fast internet assuming streaming wins the dominate market share, so while you may argue blu ray isn't the dominate and maybe even never will be it will still be sold and again you haven't addressed my original point which is blu ray is better for GAMES PS3 selling due to blu ray has nothing to do wtih the potential it adds to GAMES 

20 single layer blu rays (25 gigs each) are significantly cheaper then 1 32 GB flash drive if you were a publisher which medium would you use?

Blu ray isn't going to be outdated anytime soon, the proof of that is that dvd isn't outdated, blu ray will replace dvd at the very least in palces without fast internet assuming streaming wins the dominate market share, so while you may argue blu ray isn't the dominate and maybe even never will be it will still be sold and again you haven't addressed my original point which is blu ray is better for GAMES PS3 selling due to blu ray has nothing to do wtih the potential it adds to GAMES 

It has nothing to do with publishers, pirates are taking over the movie industry hence why MW2 sold so damn much compared to movies. 3D is an attempt to stop pirating imo and that is all it is an attempt.

Look around the world, ps2's are outselling wiis and 360s in the "3rd worlds" because they are easier and cheaper to get. Dvds are much much cheaper than Blu-rays FACT!

DVD's do the same as Blu-rays blu-rays just have higher space, dont let anyone tell you differently, hdmi upscale dvd player will run the same quality as a blu-ray if the same amount is fit on both. Blu-ray tech is not better just bigger, they are zip drives if you will, everyone though zip drives would win then came cd's and usb sticks which killed them off.

Blu-ray is outdated, by Digital Distribution, now its not if Digital will take over, its when. For Blu-ray its if and when. The places with the slower internet, Australia is one, we call 30mbps quick, we are finally getting 100mbps if the plan goes ahead, but even that isnt quick in comparison to some places, see south korea for quick internet and japan.

And I did answer you first point because Games have everything to do with Formats of drives. As I said PS3 is selling partly because of the Blu-ray player. Don't deny this, can Blu-ray hold more? Of course it can, will it be on the next playstation if there is one? I wouldnt put my house on it. And you can bet your bottom dollar that MS most likely wont use it for the next system they will find something else to use most likely.

Blu-rays as a whole suck when it comes to gaming anyway to directly play from, and I have a reason for it as well, A lot of PS3 games have to be installed (even multiplats) because of the speed of the Blu-ray player, it is amazing that some games run directly off the blu-ray player. The DVD speeds run much much quicker, hence why there is no necessary installs on the 360, hence why they can release a 4gb console. And a 256mb before than, because they dont need the space. PS3 NEEDS space on the HDD.

Argue all you want  but you havent given sufficient evidence why Blu-ray is the definitive next format. Your arguments seem baseless. Almost you want it to be true not that it will be.