By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SONY has to be the best publisher going around

superchunk said:
LivingMetal said:

As long as Sony is making money off of a product line to sustain great products, it's probably worth their business venture/investment.  So you are still wrong.

When did I say it wasn't worth their venture?

I said.. read it carefully now... that Sony cannot sustain its hardware predominately based on its own software whereas Nintendo not only can but has numerous times.

Who cares?  Just because you said it doesn't mean you are correct.

Now read this carefully.  The the thread title is "SONY has to be the best publisher going around"

And you said, "I 100% disagree" with your reasons.

I disagreed with you with my reasons.

It's that simple.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
LivingMetal said:

As long as Sony is making money off of a product line to sustain great products, it's probably worth their business venture/investment.  So you are still wrong.

When did I say it wasn't worth their venture?

I said.. read it carefully now... that Sony cannot sustain its hardware predominately based on its own software whereas Nintendo not only can but has numerous times.

You remove PS1/2's massive 3rd party exclusives and other software to the levels of N64 or GC and you will have Playstation losing each gen. easy. In fact, it probably would have never had a PS2/3.

GT is arguably the only IP Sony has that sales at the level of Nintendo's top 10 IPs. Super Mario (this includes SMB, M64, NSMB, Galaxy), Pokemon, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc are all far bigger IPs than anything Sony has with the one exception of GT... and even that is still below most of these.

No matter what you show, GT could never carry hardware on its own. PS has required Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Tomb Raider (PS1), and the hordes of other top notch 3rd party titles.

Gaining Third Party support for their platform is a part of Sonys job and it is something they excel at, while Nintendo seems to fail at working with Third Party publishers to gain that support. Sony has made deals, sent out dev teams, created free engines and have tried their best to create an optimal platform to support Third Parties. When the PS3 first released, it barely had any Third Party support, now in 2011, they have nearly every multi-platform title, as well as heaps of Third Party exclusives ( such as Demons Soul's, Yakuza 3 & 4, White Knight Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes, The Agency, Final Fantasy 13 Versus).

I'd also argue that Nintendos ability to hold it's own in it's own userbase, is because it's userbase is far more focused towards specific types of games. While the PS3 audience is far more about variety over sticking to a few specific genres. That's mainly down to how each platform has been marketed, one was marketed as platform that can do everything, the other is marketed as a casual, motion controller expereince. 

Just to be clear. One of Sony's skills and createst assets is being able to gather up third party support and it's a skill that some other platform holders don't have. Also, Sony will never have a title that sells 20 million copies, becaue their audience is split between a variety of different genres. Some will love racing games, some will love shooters, some will love JRPGs, some will love sandbox games, some will love music games, some will love action-adventure games and then you'll have the rest that loves them all or just sticks to the weird stuff. Most of the titles in those genres still sell well, despite being so spread out among the userbase. I don't think the same could be said for the Wii, which seems to have it's sales focused on a few specific genres and IP's, mainly because the taste of their userbase isn't spread out far enough.

Anyway, that's just a few of my thoughts.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

mantlepiecek said:

Nintendo : Lacks genres. Simple. Platformer, rpgs, and that's it. No action, no tpses, nothing. You may get once in a generation a unique title, but that's more luck than intention.

lolwut?  The majority of games Nintendo's published this gen actually fall outside those two genres.  Just because Nintendo basically rapes everyone else when it comes to platformers (and RPGs too honestly), doesn't mean that's all they've got.  

mantlepiecek said:

Here's the thing with sony, if you don't like a franchise, you are not forced to like it. If I don't like platformers it would make little sense for me to get a wii. If I don't like halo or fpses it would make little sense for me to get a 360. 

What about the PS3? If I don't like LBP, Ratchet and Clank, I can get it for Infamous, Yakuza 3. If I don't like Infamous, I can get it for Uncharted and God of War. I don't like that either? Fine, I will get it for GT and motorstorm. I don't like racing games? OK, I will get it for Demon's Souls!

Don't like Action rpgs either? Get it for Atelier Rorona or another JRPG. Don't like jrpgs? Get it for an adventure game like Heavy Rain. Don't like good stories? Well get it for MGS 4! Don't like stealth? Get it for FPSes like resistance and killzone.

You should get the point I am trying to make here by now. If not, well, then I can't really say much.

lol.  Your point is shit.  Wii has far, far more than just platformers.  Again, just because it's the best console for platformers, doesn't mean that's all it has.  Same exact story for 360 and FPS. 360 is inarguably the place for FPS, but even if you hate FPS, 360 still has an insane amount of great games in other genres.   In fact, both Wii and 360 have a selection of good titles in every genre you just listed (racing games, action RPGs, RPGs, adventure games, FPSes, platformers, stealth games, etc), some even better genre representation than PS3 does.  It's especially laughable for 360, given it shares 90% of it's library with PS3.

jarrod said:
mantlepiecek said:

Nintendo : Lacks genres. Simple. Platformer, rpgs, and that's it. No action, no tpses, nothing. You may get once in a generation a unique title, but that's more luck than intention.

lolwut?  The majority of games Nintendo's published this gen actually fall outside those two genres.  Just because Nintendo basically rapes everyone else when it comes to platformers (and RPGs too honestly), doesn't mean that's all they've got.  

mantlepiecek said:

Here's the thing with sony, if you don't like a franchise, you are not forced to like it. If I don't like platformers it would make little sense for me to get a wii. If I don't like halo or fpses it would make little sense for me to get a 360. 

What about the PS3? If I don't like LBP, Ratchet and Clank, I can get it for Infamous, Yakuza 3. If I don't like Infamous, I can get it for Uncharted and God of War. I don't like that either? Fine, I will get it for GT and motorstorm. I don't like racing games? OK, I will get it for Demon's Souls!

Don't like Action rpgs either? Get it for Atelier Rorona or another JRPG. Don't like jrpgs? Get it for an adventure game like Heavy Rain. Don't like good stories? Well get it for MGS 4! Don't like stealth? Get it for FPSes like resistance and killzone.

You should get the point I am trying to make here by now. If not, well, then I can't really say much.

lol.  Your point is shit.  Wii has far, far more than just platformers.  Again, just because it's the best console for platformers, doesn't mean that's all it has.  Same exact story for 360 and FPS. 360 is inarguably the place for FPS, but even if you hate FPS, 360 still has an insane amount of great games in other genres.   In fact, both Wii and 360 have a selection of good titles in every genre you just listed (racing games, action RPGs, RPGs, adventure games, FPSes, platformers, stealth games, etc), some even better genre representation than PS3 does.  It's especially laughable for 360, given it shares 90% of it's library with PS3.

but as a publisher how many genres does nintendo have or actually known for? I do think the microsoft as a publisher also has good genres but sony is the best publisher for multiple genres.

lol whats the point of this thread? its not even in sony discussion, it just screams to start a flame war

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Around the Network
SpartenOmega117 said:

but as a publisher how many genres does nintendo have or actually known for? I do think the microsoft as a publisher also has good genres but sony is the best publisher for multiple genres.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Nintendo dominates platformers, RPGs, racing games, sports, brain titles, puzzle games, action/adventures, simulators (flight, aquatic, and pet), party games - boy do they ever dominate party games - on-rail shooters (if they ever make another damn Star Fox), fighting games, whahtever the hell Animal Crossing is... I could go on, but I won't.

You can talk a lot of shit about Nintendo, but lack of variety is not a problem that they have.

Khuutra said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Nintendo dominates platformers, RPGs, racing games, sports, brain titles, puzzle games, action/adventures, simulators (flight, aquatic, and pet), party games - boy do they ever dominate party games - on-rail shooters (if they ever make another damn Star Fox), fighting games, whahtever the hell Animal Crossing is... I could go on, but I won't.

You can talk a lot of shit about Nintendo, but lack of variety is not a problem that they have.

lol but sony has lbp2 come on thats like every genre in one

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

mantlepiecek said:
fallen said:

Err, so Sony releasing or soon to release like, 4 Uncharted games since 2007,  plus a movie, or 4 Killzone titles since 2008 (liberation, 2, 3, and NGP in case you're wondering) isn't driving them into the ground?

That's more frequent than Microsoft releases Halo titles, easily, yet MS is the one often criticized for milking Halo because they put out one spinoff title in a totally different genre (Wars) and 2 main Halo titles since 2005? Lets say the rumor of Halo CE remake this fall is even true (it probably is), that still puts them well behind the pace of Sony with KZ and UC.

Overall I dont look at Sony and think they have a great library. Most of their games dont interest me, or just look average and uninspired (such titles include Motorstorm, Socom, LBP, iNfamous,etc). Uncharted 2 I honestly didn't like much, especially if you take away the graphics. Killzone I consider a solid, but not great, franchise.

I would say Microsoft just with only the Halo and Gears series alone is a better publisher to my tastes, and EA is another, with Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, and Battlefield series all drawing interest from me, as well as a deep and varied slate of other titles.

When is NGP releasing again?

How many killzone fans have all the killzone games? I don't have liberation or killzone 1. When it comes to the PS3 itself, Sony does the least milking out of the three.

MS: Has more genres than nintendo but lacks frachises. Which tends to milking, especially of Halo's brand name.

Sony: Has more genres, more franchises than MS (maybe less than nintendo). You found infamous boring? Great, that must mean its bad? no?

Here's the thing with sony, if you don't like a franchise, you are not forced to like it. If I don't like platformers it would make little sense for me to get a wii. If I don't like halo or fpses it would make little sense for me to get a 360. 

You can't be serious when you say that Sony does the least milking of their franchises when they own the most milked franchise in console history in Sing Star and their are over ten versions of it on the PS3 alone.

jarrod said:
mantlepiecek said:

mantlepiecek said:

He listed the games, you didn't, I'm not arguing with you I'm just saying actually mentioning the games you are talking about would make your point alot better, because I can't think of any non shooter/sports (racing counts as sport) game on 360 that did well

Okay, looking at just the home consoles (real talk: Nintendo's launched more new IPs on DS alone than Sony and MS have combined this generation), here's the list of 100% new IPs from each, and iterative same gen sequels from each... I left out last gen reissues though, and kept it to retail only.

SCE New IPs (21)

• Demon's Souls
  • EyePet
  • Heavenly Sword
  • Heavy Rain (owned by Quantic Dream)
  • inFamous
  • Kung-Fu Rider
  • Lair
  • LittleBig Planet
  • M.A.G.: Massive Action Game
  • ModNation Racers
  • MotorStorm
  • Resistance: Fall of Man
  • Sorcery
  • Sports Champions
  • Start the Party
  • The Eye of Judgement
  • The Fight: Lights Out
  • The Shoot
  • TV Superstars
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • White Knight Chronicles

SCE Iterative Sequels (25)

• Buzz Quiz World
  • Buzz: The Ultimate Music Quiz
  • inFamous 2
  • Gran Turismo 5: The Real Driving Simulator
  • Killzone 3
  • LittleBig Planet 2
  • MotorStorm: Apocalypse
  • MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
  • MLB 08: The Show
  • MLB 09: The Show
  • MLB 10: The Show
  • MLB 11: The Show
  • NBA 08
  • NBA 09: The Inside
  • Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
  • Resistance 2
  • Resistance 3
  • SingStar Country
  • SingStar Motown
  • SingStar Vol. 2
  • SingStar Vol. 3: Party Edition
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  • Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
  • White Knight Chronicles 2

MGS New IPs (18)

• Alan Wake (owned by Remedy Entertainment)
  • Blue Dragon
  • codename D
  • Codename: Kingdoms (owned by Crytek)
  • Crackdown
  • Gears of War (owned by Epic Games)
  • Haunt
  • Infinite Undiscovery
  • Kameo: Elements of Power
  • Kinect Adventures
  • Lips
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Mass Effect (owned by EA)
  • N3: Ninety-Nine Nights
  • Ninja Blade
  • Project Draco
  • Too Human (owned by Silicon Knights)
  • Viva Pinata

MGS Iterative Sequels (14)

• Crackdown 2
  • Fable III
  • Forza Motorsport 3
  • Forza Motorsport 4
  • Gears of War 2 (owned by Epic Games)
  • Gears of War 3 (owned by Epic Games)
  • Halo 3: ODST
  • Halo Reach
  • Lips: Number One Hits
  • Lips: Party Classics
  • Project Gotham Racing 4
  • N3: Nintey-Nine Nights II
  • Scene-It? Box Office Smash (owned by Viacom)
  • Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise

Nintendo New IPs (11)

• And-Kensaku
  • Captain Rainbow
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis
  • Endless Ocean
  • FlingSmash
  • Pandora's Tower
  • Takt of Magic
  • The Last Story
  • Wii Sports
  • Xenoblade
  • Zangeki no Reginliev

Nintendo Iterative Sequels (8)

• Endless Ocean: Blue World
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (co-owned by SEGA)
  • New Fatal Frame Project (owned by Tecmo Koei)
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Wii Fit Plus
  • Wii Sports Resort