By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SONY has to be the best publisher going around

superchunk said:
evolution_1ne said:

exactly my fucking point.

now please tell the rest of these Nintendo fans the prospect of just simply selling MORE

DS did destroy the PSP.....it sold more

Wii didn't destroy the PS3......it just sold more

PS2 didn't destroy the GC................it obliterated it

oh, so you're of the point that because the PS1/2 were so high in dominating their markets that Sony as a publisher is better. However, you're ignoring the primary reason why PS1/2 sold so much better. 3rd party exclusives... not 1st party.

Now let's look at why all Nintendo handhelds dominate and why Wii has dominated.... 1st party. See the difference?

Back to my original point, Nintendo is clearly the best publisher as proven that it can sustain its hardware almost exclusively off its own software. Sony cannot do that.

"anyway OP your wrong. The best in this case is subjective, it's all got to do with personal preference. Statistically speaking it's not the best at all Nintendo is"

now I want you to go back a few pages and see who posted this I won't tell you teh lulz

Around the Network
jarrod said:

Well, looking just at Nintendo's Wii lineup...

Platformers

• Super Mario Galaxy
  • Wario Land: Shake It!
  • New PlayControl! Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition

RPGs

• Super Paper Mario
  • Pokemon Battle Revolution (sort of)
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
  • Captain Rainbow
  • Takt of Magic
  • Xenoblade
  • The Last Story

Games that aren't either

• Wii Sports (sports)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (adventure)
  • Excite Truck (racing)
  • Wii Play (minigame)
  • Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (minigame)
  • Eyeshield 21: The fField's Greatest Warrior (sports)
  • Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (quiz)
  • Mario Party 8 (minigame)
  • Mario Strikers Charged (sports)
  • Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast (racing)
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (adventure)
  • BWii: Battalion Wars 2 (strategy)
  • Link's Crossbow Training (shooting)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (sports)
  • Endless Ocean (simulation)
  • Everybody's General Knowledge Training (quiz)
  • Wii Chess (puzzle)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (fighting)
  • Mario Kart Wii (racing)
  • Wii Fit (exercise)
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis (action)
  • Mario Super Sluggers (sports)
  • Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (horror)
  • Wii Music (rhythm)
  • Animal Crossing: City Folk (communication)
  • New Play Control! Pikmin (strategy)
  • New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis (sports)
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing (racing)
  • Punch-Out!! (sports)
  • New Play Control! Pikmin 2 (strategy)
  • Trace Memory R: A Journey into Lost Memories (adventure)
  • New Play Control! Chibi-Robo (adventure)
  • Wii Sports Resort (sports)
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy (adventure)
  • Wii Fit Plus (exercise)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games (sports)
  • NHK Red & White Quiz Battle (quiz)
  • Reginliev the Slasher (action)
  • Endless Ocean: Blue World (simulation)
  • And-Kensaku (quiz)
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (shooting)
  • Metroid: Other M (adventure)
  • Wii Party (minigame)
  • FlingSmash (puzzle)
  • PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (minigame)
  • Mario Sports Mix (sports)

...yes, even with just Nintendo alone, there's obviously no variety whatsoever. ;)

And if I added Wii's digital services (which you seem to be arguing for in your PSN diatribe), the results would be even more lopsided. 

Cherrypicking specific subgenres is always going to leave a deficit, regardless of the platform.  Where are PS3's roguelikes?  It's rail shooters?  It's sidescrolling action RPGs?  Actually, even among the ones you listed, does PS3 have any exclusive racing sims besides GT5?  Does it have any exclusive zombie shooters at all?

Yeah, PS3 has GT 5 prologue and GT 5.

Dead Nation is its zombie shooter.

2d sidescrollers are all on the PSN just like I said. Its not cherrypicking at all. Does the wii digital services have genres that the main games don't? All I see in "other" are adventure games, sports, minigames, puzzles, simulation, arcade racers.

On-rail shooters have evloved into FPS's already. Why did the wii fans feel so bad about dead space extraction being exclusive and not getting Dead Space? Cause they are not in the same leaugue.

Having a bunch of sports, simulation and puzzle (I will admit about adventure being a good enough genre) doesn't equal variety.

Wii has good games I don't see why we are even arguing over this. Just on one statement as well. That nintendo lacks genres. Take it relative to the poster I was answering to and you will understand. Wii has a deficit in a lot of genres that's what I am talking about. If I was a platformer/rpg fan wii would have been a paradise, just saying.

evolution_1ne said:

"anyway OP your wrong. The best in this case is subjective, it's all got to do with personal preference. Statistically speaking it's not the best at all Nintendo is"

now I want you to go back a few pages and see who posted this I won't tell you teh lulz

lol, ok point taken. :)

In less than 3 years EA have pumped out 5 unique Dead Space games and 2 Dead Space films, now thats milking.

Not having a go at dead space i love it.

mantlepiecek said:
jarrod said:

Well, looking just at Nintendo's Wii lineup...

Platformers

• Super Mario Galaxy
  • Wario Land: Shake It!
  • New PlayControl! Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition

RPGs

• Super Paper Mario
  • Pokemon Battle Revolution (sort of)
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
  • Captain Rainbow
  • Takt of Magic
  • Xenoblade
  • The Last Story

Games that aren't either

• Wii Sports (sports)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (adventure)
  • Excite Truck (racing)
  • Wii Play (minigame)
  • Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (minigame)
  • Eyeshield 21: The fField's Greatest Warrior (sports)
  • Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (quiz)
  • Mario Party 8 (minigame)
  • Mario Strikers Charged (sports)
  • Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast (racing)
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (adventure)
  • BWii: Battalion Wars 2 (strategy)
  • Link's Crossbow Training (shooting)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (sports)
  • Endless Ocean (simulation)
  • Everybody's General Knowledge Training (quiz)
  • Wii Chess (puzzle)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (fighting)
  • Mario Kart Wii (racing)
  • Wii Fit (exercise)
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis (action)
  • Mario Super Sluggers (sports)
  • Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (horror)
  • Wii Music (rhythm)
  • Animal Crossing: City Folk (communication)
  • New Play Control! Pikmin (strategy)
  • New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis (sports)
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing (racing)
  • Punch-Out!! (sports)
  • New Play Control! Pikmin 2 (strategy)
  • Trace Memory R: A Journey into Lost Memories (adventure)
  • New Play Control! Chibi-Robo (adventure)
  • Wii Sports Resort (sports)
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy (adventure)
  • Wii Fit Plus (exercise)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games (sports)
  • NHK Red & White Quiz Battle (quiz)
  • Reginliev the Slasher (action)
  • Endless Ocean: Blue World (simulation)
  • And-Kensaku (quiz)
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (shooting)
  • Metroid: Other M (adventure)
  • Wii Party (minigame)
  • FlingSmash (puzzle)
  • PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (minigame)
  • Mario Sports Mix (sports)

...yes, even with just Nintendo alone, there's obviously no variety whatsoever. ;)

And if I added Wii's digital services (which you seem to be arguing for in your PSN diatribe), the results would be even more lopsided. 

Cherrypicking specific subgenres is always going to leave a deficit, regardless of the platform.  Where are PS3's roguelikes?  It's rail shooters?  It's sidescrolling action RPGs?  Actually, even among the ones you listed, does PS3 have any exclusive racing sims besides GT5?  Does it have any exclusive zombie shooters at all?

Yeah, PS3 has GT 5 prologue and GT 5.

Dead Nation is its zombie shooter.

2d sidescrollers are all on the PSN just like I said. Its not cherrypicking at all. Does the wii digital services have genres that the main games don't? All I see in "other" are adventure games, sports, minigames, puzzles, simulation, arcade racers.

On-rail shooters have evloved into FPS's already. Why did the wii fans feel so bad about dead space extraction being exclusive and not getting Dead Space? Cause they are not in the same leaugue.

Having a bunch of sports, simulation and puzzle (I will admit about adventure being a good enough genre) doesn't equal variety.

Wii has good games I don't see why we are even arguing over this. Just on one statement as well. That nintendo lacks genres. Take it relative to the poster I was answering to and you will understand. Wii has a deficit in a lot of genres that's what I am talking about. If I was a platformer/rpg fan wii would have been a paradise, just saying.

lol. So no on exclusive racing sims outside GT5 then.  Anyone serious about racing sims would be better served avoiding the watered down genre entries on consoles entirely though, and just souping up their PCs. That's really the only 'platform' that excels for them.  

Dead Nation?  Well, I guess Zombie Panic in Wonderland counts for Wii then.  So Wii and PS3 have the exact same number of exclusive zombie shooters, neat!

Still waiting on you naming an exclusive PS3 roguelike, rail shooter or sidecrolling ARPG though, but your deflections and excuses (PSN has different sidescrollers!  Rail shooters evolved!) are amusing.  PSN even if you want... you're actually missing my point, basically ALL consoles have genre deficits when you parse down enough.  And excelling in one area far past the rest (like Wii with platformers, or 360 with shooters) doesn't inherently mean the system doesn't have variety.  PS3 not really excelling above the competition in any one area doesn't mean it has the most variety, it just means it doesn't really stand out in a single area.  

Around the Network
jarrod said:

lol. So no on exclusive racing sims outside GT5 then.  Anyone serious about racing sims would be better served avoiding the watered down genre entries on consoles entirely though, and just souping up their PCs. That's really the only 'platform' that excels for them.  

Dead Nation?  Well, I guess Zombie Panic in Wonderland counts for Wii then.  So Wii and PS3 have the exact same number of exclusive zombie shooters, neat!

Still waiting on you naming an exclusive PS3 roguelike, rail shooter or sidecrolling ARPG though, but your deflections and excuses (PSN has different sidescrollers!  Rail shooters evolved!) are amusing.  PSN even if you want... you're actually missing my point, basically ALL consoles have genre deficits when you parse down enough.  And excelling in one area far past the rest (like Wii with platformers, or 360 with shooters) doesn't inherently mean the system doesn't have variety.  PS3 not really excelling above the competition in any one area doesn't mean it has the most variety, it just means it doesn't really stand out in a single area.  

PS3 excels in action games, its just that action is divided into fps/tps/arpgs/stealth/hack and slash. It has platformers and Sandbox games. 2D sidescrollers as well(on PSN), along with simulation. GT 5 and prologue are not the same game, like you think. Did I mention an srpg as well? It has arcade racers in Motorstorm 1 and 2. Motorstorm 3 is going to be released. It has a good adventure game, Last Guardian is a new adventure IP sp that's another one. Multi-player car-based game twisted metal says hi. Yakuza of the end is a zombie game that I remembered just now, will be released in Japan this year.

Even the genre in which it lacks (rpgs), it still has lots of games in it, like Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles, Disgeae 3 and 4 leading the way for the other JRPGs like atelier rorona and Trinity universe. Most of the games I have listed were released in the last two years as well, or will be released this year.

Genre-deficit? LOL. Please do tell in which genre does PS3 need to have games in, which it yet hasn't? I know it doesn't have an RTS yet, which is very bad for console anyway(and PSN has under seige but anyway), it even has MMO in DC Universe online. This year, FF 14, The Agency and others are going to be released for both PS3/PC(understandable, since console is hardly the place for MMOs), just further proves my point.

Oh, and rail-shooters have definitely evolved. Look at the 360/PS3, you know the reason why they don't have rail shooters? Because they have fps'es and tps's and don't need to have them, lol @ your "Oh I can't defeat this argument so lets call this an excuse" BS.

Why will you make a rail shooter when you can make a fps? Simple, you won't. Ghost recon on the wii is supposed to be "dumbed down" into a rail shooter, I wonder why...reviewers must be biased! Yeah, that's it!

mantlepiecek said:
jarrod said:

PS3 excels in action games, its just that action is divided into fps/tps/arpgs/stealth/hack and slash. It has platformers and Sandbox games. 2D sidescrollers as well(on PSN), along with simulation. GT 5 and prologue are not the same game, like you think. Did I mention an srpg as well? It has arcade racers in Motorstorm 1 and 2. Motorstorm 3 is going to be released. It has a good adventure game, Last Guardian is a new adventure IP sp that's another one. Multi-player car-based game twisted metal says hi. Yakuza of the end is a zombie game that I remembered just now, will be released in Japan this year.

Even the genre in which it lacks (rpgs), it still has lots of games in it, like Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles, Disgeae 3 and 4 leading the way for the other JRPGs like atelier rorona and Trinity universe. Most of the games I have listed were released in the last two years as well, or will be released this year.

Genre-deficit? LOL. Please do tell in which genre does PS3 need to have games in, which it yet hasn't? I know it doesn't have an RTS yet, which is very bad for console anyway(and PSN has under seige but anyway), it even has MMO in DC Universe online. This year, FF 14, The Agency and others are going to be released for both PS3/PC(understandable, since console is hardly the place for MMOs), just further proves my point.

Oh, and rail-shooters have definitely evolved. Look at the 360/PS3, you know the reason why they don't have rail shooters? Because they have fps'es and tps's and don't need to have them, lol @ your "Oh I can't defeat this argument so lets call this an excuse" BS.

Why will you make a rail shooter when you can make a fps? Simple, you won't. Ghost recon on the wii is supposed to be "dumbed down" into a rail shooter, I wonder why...reviewers must be biased! Yeah, that's it!

Sure PS3 has a lot of great action games, but it doesn't really excel past Wii or 360 in that regard.  It's not like 360 with FPS or Wii with platformers, both of which are "action" games anyway by the definition you're giving the genre on PS3.

Yakuza Of the End is a "zombie shooter"?  You know, the Yakuza games are actually RPGs (when you get down to it) right?

Why make a rail shooter?  Uh... why not?  People love games like REZ, Sin & Punishment, Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, etc... Child of Eden looks fantastic, same for (at least the rail shooter portions of) Kid Icarus Uprising.  It's a different genre, with different goals from TPS/FPS.  When rail shooters fail is when they try to emulate free-roam shooter design fundamentals (like with Dead Space Extraction or the Wii Ghost Recon).

Still waiting on a PS3 exclusive roguelike, sidescrolling ARPG or rail shooter... I suspect I'll be waiting indefinitely... 

they are the best publishers ever.