By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes a Spin-Off a Spin-Off the grate debate

After a fun discussion in this thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=124445&page=2&str=235797310#28

I got inspired to crate an open discussion on what makes a Spin-Off a Spin-Off.

EG is a sub series really a Spin-Off or not and are series like DMC, Onimusha and Dino Crisis that are off shuts of Biohazard really Spin-Offs.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Around the Network

i always think a good spin off is a game that trys new things and deviates from the plot of the base series.

A sure fire indicator is if the game is in a different genre from its parent material.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Mst people use the word spin off thw wrong way

a spin off is a new series spun off from the main but not directly related

example Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is a spin off of pokemon same themes but different setting design

all the hanheld Kingdom Hearts ARE NOT spin offs...... just side stories in one main plot.

Xxain said:

Mst people use the word spin off thw wrong way

a spin off is a new series spun off from the main but not directly related

example Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is a spin off of pokemon same themes but different setting design

all the hanheld Kingdom Hearts ARE NOT spin offs...... just side stories in one main plot.

I guess meany people have different interpretations of Spin-Off. 

how would you classify the Games in the FNC FF compilation and the FFVII Compilation.  

Around the Network

dark souls is an spin off because Demon souls is owned by Sony and dark souls is being published not by atlus. 

But the game is an spin off because its in the same world that is demon souls. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

mchaza said:

dark souls is an spin off because Demon souls is owned by Sony and dark souls is being published not by atlus. 

But the game is an spin off because its in the same world that is demon souls. 

It's a  NAMCO BANDAI Game isn't it?

I always considered a spin-off to be any title in a franchise that is not given the same time and effort as the main series, and/or is very different from the type(s) of gameplay that defines the franchise, and/or does not follow the same characters/story combination expected by the franchise fans. 

i.e. any game that deviates significantly from the winning formula that defines the series and is expected by fans to be in titles from the main series titles of the franchise.

Isn't the Mario series technically spinoffs?

I think a crude way of looking at it would be to see the budget.

If the budget is similar to a main game then it isn't really a spin off in the deragatory way.

So FF Versus XIII isn't really a spin off while say Dirge Of Cerberus was a spin off.

MGS Rising isn't a spin off while say MGS Ac!d was a spin off.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey