By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS - Game coins details

manuel said:

1000 steps are nothing. That's like 500 meters or so (for the metric impaired: a little more than a quarter of a mile).

hello baby steps man....

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

I don't know how long your steps are, but I'm sure 50cm per step is a good average.

When I walk fast my steps are longer of course, but inside the house 50cm is about normal.

The point I was trying to make is that 1000 steps are a very short distance.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Any amount of "short distance" is very good that don't move around at all.

Conegamer said:
Galaki said:

How long does it take for 1000 steps?

Maybe it's time to get WiiFit going again.

Takes me about 30 minutes, which sounds reasonable

My walk to and from work is about 25-30 mins and 3000 steps.

puffy said:
KylieDog said:

The steps thing is so mundane they may as well just let you play the things for nothing.

Its not about walking around with your 3DS to gain coins but having the coins to persuade you to take the system with you. It helps get people to see the system in the wild and also helps with streetpass because the more people out with there 3DS the more interaction that can occur.

This then makes people want to take their system out more often amd thus the circle continues and Nintendo profits. It's actually quite ingenious.

This is what I was thinking ... There are several obvious uses for a service like this

1) Encourage people to take their system with them when they go out.

2) Work as a defence when people claim videogames make children/teens fat ... Effectively, Nintendo can claim that through these game coins Nintendo is encouraging these children/teens to be more active. On top of this, people are legitimately worried about obesity, and they might be more willing to buy a videogame system for their child which encourages some level of activity.

3) Familiarize downloadable content to 'the masses'. If you start creating services that encourage people to connect to your online store and download 'free' games, it probably will make it easier to convert these same gamers into people who connect to your online store and buy games that cost real money.

4) Test experimental game concepts "in the wild" ... If you're planning on focusing on Augmented Reality 5 years from now, you have to develop the knowledge of what works today to be successful then. Over the next 5 (or so) years, Nintendo can produce small game-play/technical demos and then see how people react to them.

and ...

5) Nintendo is looking for ways to make their products significantly different than their competition in ways other than hardware. Even if Apple/Sony thought this was a brilliant idea worth copying, it is unlikely that they would have a similar service in place for at least a year (and probably not for 2 or more years) which means that the 3DS is a little more unique in the marketplace.

Around the Network
hsrob said:

You should post on craigslist and offer to walk people's 3DS for a small amount of fee :)

Seece said:
Gnizmo said:
Seece said:

You could easily cheap swinging a 3DS on a bit of string?

Tie a $250 bit of tech to a "bit of string" and then swing it around? This is why you can't have nice things!

I can have nice things thanks! and you can do it on your bed, or, make it a secure hammock. If you care enough that is ...

Somewhere in the world, a third party peripheral tat creator has £ signs flashing in his eyes...

VGChartz

hsrob said:
Conegamer said:
Galaki said:

How long does it take for 1000 steps?

Maybe it's time to get WiiFit going again.

Takes me about 30 minutes, which sounds reasonable

I walk slowly

Actually, it;s more like 15 minutes, which is nothing. Why not make the divisions larger? That way you'll encourage more walking than maybe a walk round the block or something...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

KylieDog said:
puffy said:
KylieDog said:

The steps thing is so mundane they may as well just let you play the things for nothing.

Its not about walking around with your 3DS to gain coins but having the coins to persuade you to take the system with you. It helps get people to see the system in the wild and also helps with streetpass because the more people out with there 3DS the more interaction that can occur.

This then makes people want to take their system out more often amd thus the circle continues and Nintendo profits. It's actually quite ingenious.

Yeah well the likehood of getting mugged means that is a stupid idea someone at Nintendo had, especially in the case on kids and young teens. 

But they'd then have to buy another 3DS = more profit :p

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

KylieDog said:

Yeah well the likehood of getting mugged means that is a stupid idea someone at Nintendo had, especially in the case on kids and young teens. 

....Really?