By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest X Wii -- Where is it?

trestres said:
Kasz216 said:
trestres said:
Kasz216 said:
hikaruchan said:
Acevil said:

I think the problem is the perception you have of spin-off, because Jarrod pretty much summed it up.  I think you might hold a biased, since you might views spin-off as a negative, when generally it is a positive.

For example SMT: Persona series is a spin-off series, yet it is widely considered by SMT fans to be one of the best, if not better than mainline SMT or MT. 

Type-0 series is without a doubt a new final fantasy series that spun-off of Final Fantasy name. If it was called just Type-0 it was be a new series all together with final fantasy like elements. 

Versus it might be arguable by some, but it is pretty much a spinoff  game from the Final Fantasy 13 brand. 

I think the some Game series Spin-Offs are not regarded as equal with the Original product. but sub seires I believe can be debatable if they are rally Spin-Offs or not.

Like Persona that is a sub series of SMT so it can be debatable if it is a Spin-Off or not. 

and it can be argued that DMC, Oinmusha and Dino Crisis are just Spin-Offs of Biohazard despite not having the name Biohazard on the cover anywhere.        

No.  It isn't debatable.

At all.

A spinoff is ANYTHING that "spins off" the main franchise.

That's the literal definition of a spinoff.  It has nothing to do with opinion.  It's like argueing that a Penguin isn't a bird because you have your own specialized definition of bird which requires "Must be able to fly."

It's not debatable... your just wrong and working off a fabricated definition.

Not siding with anyone here, but if we are going by straight spin off definitions, then Mario is a Donkey Kong spin off. After all, Mario made his debut in a game called Donkey Kong and since then he has had his own games, but only because it's appearance at the first Donkey Kong game.

Correct?

I guess so, but I've never heard anyone say Mario was a spinoff. That's why I'm saying this. It is based on opinion sometimes, or else try to argue with people that Mario is a spinoff and not a main series. Not saying that what you said is factually incorrect, but sometimes it being correct doesn't mean that the majority will embrace it. I think there's a thin line between a game being a spinoff or not.

I guess you didn't see my comment in the spin off thread this morning...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3917296

Around the Network

@MrT-Tar:

Missed that thread :P
Gonna have a look at it now

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

If we went by the Mario DK definition then the Mana series and various other rpg games would be classed as FF spin off.

Soriku said:
Raze said:

Probably not to PS3, as it WAS slated for PS3 initially and then cancelled. I doubt they'd double back without much on paper to convince them of such

That was MH3...DQ X has always been Wii exclusive.

Ah I stand corrected, I cant keep my Japanese games in line anymore. Too far gone into FPS mode. =P

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

trestres said:

I think those are probably going to be recognized as spinoffs, yes. But sometimes a spinoff can grow into a series. Wasn't siding with anyone, just thought I'd add something to the discussion, because it's always been a very controversial topic.

I just thought I would add this what if FFVersusXIII gets renamed FFXV like FFAgitoXII was renamed FFTYPE-0.

that is a potability. 

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Around the Network

i hope it's in SE studios

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

You're all wrong! It'll be a 360 exclusive and playable with kinect! 

kopstudent89 said:

You're all wrong! It'll be a 360 exclusive and playable with kinect! 

Lol, always one

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Wyrdness said:

If we went by the Mario DK definition then the Mana series and various other rpg games would be classed as FF spin off.

This is true, Seiken Densetsu started life as a FF spinoff, and even had "Final Fantasy" in it's title.  Kingdom Hearts could probably be classed as one as well.  And with the overseas naming hijinks for the first SaGa games, maybe those too.

I left out those series though, since they'd long been separated in terms of brand.  My only real qualifier was if it had "Final Fantasy" in the title or took place in an established FF world with established FF concepts (like Ivalice).

hikaruchan said:
trestres said:

I think those are probably going to be recognized as spinoffs, yes. But sometimes a spinoff can grow into a series. Wasn't siding with anyone, just thought I'd add something to the discussion, because it's always been a very controversial topic.

I just thought I would add this what if FFVersusXIII gets renamed FFXV like FFAgitoXII was renamed FFTYPE-0.

that is a potability. 

Hrm... well, I guess it's possible that Versus 13 could be renamed and spun back into the mainline, thus removing its spinoff status. But I don't think that'll happen.

And since everyone seems to have different definitions of spinoff, I'll give mine:

A 'spinoff' game is a game that either borrows ideas and concepts heavily from an established game, and/or uses an established name for marketing. And it is possible for a spinoff series to have a spinoff.

So, any game with a title that is not explicitly part of that game's lineage is a spinoff. Final Fantasy has, to date, 14 non-spinoff or remake games. So where does that leave games like 10-2? As a spinoff. FF10 was established as a mainline game. Thus the only sequel to FF10 would be FF11. What the deal with 10-2 is that 10 was used as a spinoff point to create a new game. Because 10 was already part of the mainline, it can not be removed to be a spinoff, but whatever was based on it can be. Likewise, After Years is also a spinoff. FF7 itself has successfully spawned a spinoff series. (Before Crisis, Dirge of Cerberus, etc.)

But what about the call of Mario being a spinoff? Well... I'd have to disagree- all that was used from Donkey Kong was a character. (Which, if proper research was done, was called Jumpman, not Mario, back in 1981.) Does someone wearing green make it a spinoff of the Zelda series? Does someone named Simon mean it's a spinoff of Castlevania? Being too loose on the spinoff means that there are no original series for gaming- spinoffs would be tracable to Pong, which is... surprise, a spinoff of table tennis! One could argue that Pong, with using a bat to hit a ball back, led to Breakout. Controlling this projectile to hit a distant object leads to Space Invaders. A straight-moving projectile to hit moving objects leads us to our basic Doom or Wolfenstein, and from there, it's easy to get to modern games like Call of Duty or Halo.

Anyway, this is getting a tad off-topic, apologies. Let's try to get back to the topic of DQX itself.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...