By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pirates, admit you're thieves

been stealing shit from people since I was a kid, money, girl friends, softwares, hardwares, fucking pieces of nail or screws from home depot or lowes, movies, music, tv series.... and a lot more. so the fuck what? let me know when members from my family are getting hit by cars because of it.

Around the Network

The plea to get pirates to admit their thieves seems about as likely as developers admitting they make shitty games instead of the end all be all game of this generation.

For me my views are a little complex but it works, right now I'm more focused on buying a game means you own that game instead of some license for it, where the publishers are lord and master over it... and I find that terrible, having that sort of power in the hands of conglomerates, once that is changed back to you actually owning the game, I'll focus my efforts on telling people they can't pirate (since right now they're pirating something no one truly owns!) just my two cents.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Carl2291 said:

"Because you should be paying for it you dumb cunt"

I have a new found respect for Jim Sterling. This video is amazing.

By the way. Anyone make out the music in the background? I recognise it but... It escapes me.

I believe it's the music for Tantulus or maybe even the music with the jesters. I'll look it up.

If anything else, I have more respect for Jim due to his taste in music. FFIX FTW!

Edit: Indeed. It was the jester's theme.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Killy_Vorkosigan said:

That so funny that Jim Sterling, who plays free games for a living, blames somebody else for playing games for free.

And he is given special treatments by the industry, who regularly sends him goodies or whatever.

Just because he has a big mouth and a tribune does not give him credit for giving lessons.

There's a difference. He is a reviewer and games are sent to him to review. He doesn't steal them.

Though it will fall on deaf ears.

The real "sin" of piracy by the way....

Is ease of copying... not the copying itself.

If someone were to look at the Mona Lisa, and then paint himself an exact replica.  He wouldn't have committed a crime, so long as he didn't try to sell it and kept it soley for his own use.

The difference is, it takes talent to copy the Mona Lisa... while nearly anyone can copy a piece of software or music.

Around the Network

Eh, it's perfectly fine to sell a copy of the Mona Lisa as long as you're selling it as a replica. There are studios that make their money off stuff like that, these paintings are not copyrighted.

The analogy works for modern stuff though, you can always put it under fair use with a non-commercial academic purpose.

Seece said:
twesterm said:
Khuutra said:
Seece said:

I wish we took a stronger stance against game pirates here, like banning them all. They go without any punishement .. heck even one of our MODS is a proud pirate ... disgusting, doesn't deserve to play video games.

We used to do this - BengaBenga was particularly ruthless on this front - and I don't mind it as an idea. That's no excuse for headlines and articles perverting the dialogue, or people perpetuating ass-backwards sound bites (CARL).

Again: all for banning people who brag about their piracy. That's fine. But we should be clear and distinct that we're talking about copyright infringement and not theft.

Oh man, when I was mod, I was constantly wanting to ban people that admitted to pirating.  If ioi would have let me I would have an absolute blast in this thread and hand out permabans with no remorse what-so-ever.  I don't really understand why pirates come to a forum dedicated to the thing they're actively trying to destroy anyways.

Yeah, they have absoloutely no shame. It does make you wonder what kind of people they are in real life, they must have no conscience.

Can you say that out loud without laughing abit? It sounds like a joke!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Seece said:
twesterm said:
Khuutra said:
Seece said:

I wish we took a stronger stance against game pirates here, like banning them all. They go without any punishement .. heck even one of our MODS is a proud pirate ... disgusting, doesn't deserve to play video games.

We used to do this - BengaBenga was particularly ruthless on this front - and I don't mind it as an idea. That's no excuse for headlines and articles perverting the dialogue, or people perpetuating ass-backwards sound bites (CARL).

Again: all for banning people who brag about their piracy. That's fine. But we should be clear and distinct that we're talking about copyright infringement and not theft.

Oh man, when I was mod, I was constantly wanting to ban people that admitted to pirating.  If ioi would have let me I would have an absolute blast in this thread and hand out permabans with no remorse what-so-ever.  I don't really understand why pirates come to a forum dedicated to the thing they're actively trying to destroy anyways.

Yeah, they have absoloutely no shame. It does make you wonder what kind of people they are in real life, they must have no conscience.

Can you say that out loud without laughing abit? It sounds like a joke!

Very easily, it's very telling of a persons personality if they're a theif and proud of it.

Dinomax said:

""But but but your sig and avartar are pirated!""

Yes because pirated images are exactly the same as taking a 60 million dollar product, putting it on bittorent and not paying a cent.  When most images here are actually publicy released by the developer for free mass distrubtion.

Yep totally the same argument. 

Doesn't matter if its not the same. Its being half assed in morality of piracy.

Those who pirate avatar and sigs simply has no right to bash on pirates when they are pirating themselves.

Dumping hazardous waste in a river or taking a piss at the bus station differ yes, but both are crimes.  You can't talk shit about company dumping hazardous waste to ruin the environment when you, yourself are dumping chemical from chemistry projects  down your sink and taking pisses on the streets.

It seems to me we tend to forget about the programmers who spend long hours to design and develope our games. In recent weeks many of them lost their jobs, due in a large part to slow sales... sales that would have been higher if everyone actually paid for the great work they have done to entertain us (instead of stealing it).. I do not think any of you would be very happy if you worked all week at a job and then was not paid.... for thats what your doing to these programmers....  I really feel sorry for the families of these programmers who lost their jobs because of self centered pirates...  Pirating hurts real people... not corporations... It is truly sad!