By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you ever hate game forums?

Only sometimes.

Only sometimes.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Doobie_wop said:

A few examples of game forum stupidity would be colourful games. Everyone cries about how games aren't colourful enough, games aren't unique enough, everythings an FPS and so on, but then when a colourful, unique game that isn't an FPS is shown, it's criticised to hell and bombs. Enslaved is a perfect example. It's a game that tries to do things differently and when the first screenshots were released, forums like Neogaf, IGN and Giant Bomb started shitting all over the game, with some people saying it's too colourful. Then as soon as a brown shooter is released, those very sites have massive threads discussing and praising games like Call of Duty, Gears of War 2, Bad Company 2, Medal of Honour and then they all look forward to upcoming games like Battlefield 3, SOCOM 4, Gears of War 3 and Killzone 3. 

This is just silly.  Enslaved didn't bomb because it was colorful, it bombed because it was a short single player game that wasn't really anything special, and people didn't want to pay $60 for that.  Actually I guess this is the perfect example of forum stupidity since you ignore games like LittleBigPlanet 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Gran Turismo 5, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Cataclysm, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Minecraft, etc.  Those are just fairly recent games, and even then there are tons more.  None of those are brown FPSs, yet they all sold well and are generally liked on forums.

Makes it seem like you just hate Call of Duty's success.  If you think games aren't colorful enough then stop playing brown first person shooters, those aren't the only games on the market.

I personally have nothing against brown shooters. Hell, I buy every Call of Duty that get's released and Killzone 3, Gears 3 and a whole plethora of shooters are on my wishlist for the year. I used Enslaved as an example, not as a generalisation of all titles with colour. Part of my argument that I forgot to add was that people always talk about how everything is an FPS and they are all brown and gray, yet as you've shown, there are plenty of colourful titles that get released every year. 

I have nothing against what the buyers buy, I'm against the people whining about the lack of colour, innovation, JRPGS or whatever on the market, but then never go out of their way to pick up any of titles that satisfy their apparent demands.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:

I personally have nothing against brown shooters. Hell, I buy every Call of Duty that get's released and Killzone 3, Gears 3 and a whole plethora of shooters are on my wishlist for the year. I used Enslaved as an example, not as a generalisation of all titles with colour. Part of my argument that I forgot to add was that people always talk about how everything is an FPS and they are all brown and gray, yet as you've shown, there are plenty of colourful titles that get released every year. 

I have nothing against what the buyers buy, I'm against the people whining about the lack of colour, innovation, JRPGS or whatever on the market, but then never go out of their way to pick up any of titles that satisfy their apparent demands.

I can agree with you there, I just don't think Enslaved is a particularly good example.  Especially when colorful action adventure games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed (not so much colorful for this one, but it isn't drab) can sell really well and be loved by critics.

Khuutra said:

Only sometimes.

Only sometimes.

QFT

I agree with Khuutra, only sometimes. I hate cross-platform, cross-game graphical comparisons because they serve no purpose. If you think there's a legitimate reason to compare Killzone 2 to the Crysis 2 demo, please die in a fire.

But there is good discussion here, and some of the crap that happens on game forums happens on any forum (squabbling, people talking about something they know nothing about, stupid topics getting a lot of attention, company favoritism/loyalty). Have to take the good with the bad, i suppose.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

I agree that they have morons like every other forum but I appreciate having a medium to discuss and debate people who share similar interests. If you don't like them, don't use them... it really is that simple.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

ameratsu said:

I agree with Khuutra, only sometimes. I hate cross-platform, cross-game graphical comparisons because they serve no purpose. If you think there's a legitimate reason to compare Killzone 2 to the Crysis 2 demo, please die in a fire.

But there is good discussion here, and some of the crap that happens on game forums happens on any forum (squabbling, people talking about something they know nothing about, stupid topics getting a lot of attention, company favoritism/loyalty). Have to take the good with the bad, i suppose.

Owj, that is not very nice to say....

I like technical comparisons, what's wrong them??? I do not think it's important but I do think it's interesting. I want to know what kind of technology is put behind a game. If you do not find it interesting you can always, I don't know, maybe not read the thread.

ameratsu said:

Well, some people do want a definitive answer on the best graphics in any game, so I'm all for comparing the top games. Comparing Crysis and KZ seems like a pretty natural fit. You have the best looking PC franchise vs. the best looking console franchise. Though, comparing a demo is silly, and comparing anything but the very top is strange to me too. Personally, I don't care, but it's pretty close-minded to say "it serves no purpose" and they should "please die in a fire" for wanting comparisons.

Comparing multi-plat is good though since many people (like myself) have multiple consoles, and if I'm going to buy X game, I would usually like to know if one is distinctly better than the other.

OT: Some people like to argue even when invalid points are being thrown left and right. I do agree though, it gets pretty crazy, and I've been mostly avoiding those kinds of threads.

As for the bias thing, the problem is that it's not grounded in logic. If you try to understand it through logic, you will fail. Also, don't try to convince these same people to act logically.

Yes, it happens often. People use the same arguments that they previously argued against and/or called out to be invalid. In my first 6 months on this site, I tried to talk to these people. It's futile, just give up. They're everywhere too. My suggestion? Try to avoid those threads/people if you can, and just have fun talking with the people on these sites that actually want to have a good discussion. It's not worth getting all worked up over.

They can be extremely stupid at times, and in most cases are filled with fanboys just trolling the threads they consider as opposition. But then again, all of the boards have those trolls.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

You're right, partially anyway. Khuutra is totally right though. Some people are like that, complaining to their left and right. Some people complain about one thing, others complain about something else. I don't mind discussion or constructive criticism, but when it feels like the people arguing are out to hate on anything they don't understand, things are just sad.

I try to stay away from all that, because it's so easy to get sucked into something like that, and before you know it, you've been dragged into something utterly retarded. Just stay away from all the shite, and post about the good stuff. If a thread you think is interesting is being crammed with stupid, just make a post on topic and move on, or don't post at all.