By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you ever hate game forums?

dunno001 said:
arcane_chaos said:

though recently is seems even VGC is getting a little tainted if you know what I mean...:(

I'm not going to mince words here. I know what I'm about to say will annoy some people. But I see far too well what you mean by this.

I have been called a harsh mod by many. And this stems from my noticing the tainting process increasing. A forum will always have a bit of taint; the other forum I moderate has very little, and it's because we'd clamped down hard on it. So I started trying to do that here. But, some of the regulars had been "stealth trolling" for so long that they appealed my bans on them for it. The person I have to report to said that stealth trolling is something made up by mods to unfairly ban people, and overturned several of my bans issued for it. And I hate to admit it, but I think that's when things started to escalate further.

What happened, is that people saw that others were stealth trolling and either not being acted on, or having their bans reversed. This sends the message (which is still being sent, hence why more are noticing the problem) that stealth trolling is okay. So more started doing it. I know that everyone has their favorite systems and games, myself included. But if the only way you can praise them is by putting down the others, then it creates a more hostile atmosphere for the people who like that other thing being put down. Exhibit A: the Microsoft fanbase on this site. Some of the fans in ALL of the other camps were getting away with trashing MS, and having no action taken against them. Thus, it's not a surprise that we have so few of them.

When it comes to the rules and enforcement, favorites do not matter. A post must be looked at from all sides. Even if I may agree and chuckle inside, if a post is bashing game X, system Y, or user Z, it is deserving of moderation for trolling or flaming. This is where the problem comes in. I'm not going to name names, but there are some people modding based on their favorites. (I'm not going to lie, I know early in, I was a little oversensitive on a few. That's part of the curve of starting to mod a forum.) And when one tries to step out of said favorites world, unless its so over-the-top, the ban is sometimes appealed, because it ties into the appelate's beliefs. As long as people are allowed to continue trolling like this, things are only going to get worse. The reason I initially joined the forums here was because the community was so much more civil than most others for gaming. I fear that I'm watching us slide, degenerate into the other forums, and despite my hammer, I'm powerless to do anything about it.

like i've said before your one of the fairest mod's here, and i completly agree with your point. stealth trolling is getting bad in this forum and thats the one thing we have going against us.

we saw alot of stealth trolling on NPG threads and PS3 threads toward the end of 2010, and some of the trolls made the threads them selves hints my avoiding said threads.

no one side is at fault, but this type of bashing should be left to politicians and not gamers on forums.

Around the Network

Everyone is a critic?

okr said:

"Do you ever hate gaming forums".

Only in threads about point&click adventures, like this one for example. Whenever I read these kind of threads on VGC, I have the feeling that most people don't know or care about the current state of genre they're talking about, sometimes not even the thread starter.

Whenever I see posts like "I miss point and click adventures", I instantly know that the person actually doesn't miss them and I feel the urge to put him in a microwave.

Ignorance doesn't bother me: we all have our blind spots, and exposing it lets others correct our oversights.

Willful ignorance, on the other hand, is a problem which detracts from others' enjoyment of the forum, especially since it is often paired with Console Warz.

r505Matt said:
ameratsu said:

I agree with Khuutra, only sometimes. I hate cross-platform, cross-game graphical comparisons because they serve no purpose. If you think there's a legitimate reason to compare Killzone 2 to the Crysis 2 demo, please die in a fire.

Well, some people do want a definitive answer on the best graphics in any game, so I'm all for comparing the top games. Comparing Crysis and KZ seems like a pretty natural fit. You have the best looking PC franchise vs. the best looking console franchise. Though, comparing a demo is silly, and comparing anything but the very top is strange to me too. Personally, I don't care, but it's pretty close-minded to say "it serves no purpose" and they should "please die in a fire" for wanting comparisons.

Comparing multi-plat is good though since many people (like myself) have multiple consoles, and if I'm going to buy X game, I would usually like to know if one is distinctly better than the other.

Sure... compare multiplats like Bayonetta so people know if one version of the game is significantly better. When the differences are marginal, there's pretty much no point to discussing whatever small graphical or perfomance differences exist between the two versions. I know that sounds close-minded, but what sort of meaningful discussion do you expect to arise out of comparing two massively different games on different platforms, or in comparing two versions of a game that are pretty much the same? It's pretty plainly system wars under a different veil.

Sorry for derailing the topic >.>

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

It takes all kinds and thankfully there are alot. I know what you get out of something is what you put in it not just the crap other people spew out.

And yes forums get old especially the longer you use them, but their point is to create discussion with people that couldn't be done on such a large skill normally.

Around the Network

If you get mad at ppl talking about games, you lose.  I say troll away, it makes the site more fun.

Well, I was feeling this stuff was going away, but with the new portable "console war" coming I feel lots of people are getting really annoying, guys its not like the company paid you to fight for them. 

Also, Im studying law and hell, lots of users in here could be lawyers when twisting statics and interpreting sales to defend your client and create arguments to protect them and attack the others. The problem is again, they dont pay you.

Other thing that kinda pisses me is that everyone thinks they are smarter than the game companies.  And Im sick about these ninja bias, you see posts that try to look unbiased and people starting threads that try the same, while you can clearly see the bias and the fanboyism in them, threads that basically say "My console of choice is better than yours"

And the last thing, the whining(kinda fun since Im whining now), all these "this site hates my console", "We dont get these games when we should", is something I really dont like.

These are some of the things which I dont like much.