By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can GTA 4 tip the balance of the PS3/Xbox 360 console war in favor of Xbox?

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/xbox-360-to-receive-more-gta-iv-episodic-content/18906/?biz=1

Topic: The Xbox 360 version of Grand Theft Auto IV is slowly becoming the definitive version to purchase next year,

Take-Two said that GTA IV remains on track for release during the second fiscal quarter of 2008 fiscal second quarter (meaning between February 1 and April 30). The previously announced episodic content for the game will also arrive in fiscal 2008. However, beyond that, Take-Two said in the next year, the Xbox 360 version would receive still more new episodic content.

Around the Network

Note that this certainly can hurt the PS3 alot as everyone knows that GTA 4 will be either as big or even much bigger than Halo 3. If people believe the PS3 version is inferior, it can hurt it alot. Take The Orange Box on the PS3 for example.

Its going to be released Fall 08, that Im sure of. They will delay it, also even if the X360 version receives extra content, I expect the ps3 version to be almost = to the 360 version.

mM

The PS3 version will get those PS2 users that haven't converted to the PS3 yet. But you can best believe that the Xbox 360 version will sell better due to the Xbox 360 having a larger install base.

VGChartz Member-December 18, 2007

Currently PlayingHalo 3 (X360) Naruto: Rise of Ninja (X360)  Next PurchasesNintendo DS System or PSP Core System
Mass Effect (X360)Blue Dragon (X360)Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (X360)

Isn't this old news? If I remember correctly the additional content for Xbox 360 was announced to come in 2 parts, one in spring 08 and one in fall 08. But with the game being pushed back the schedule for the downloadable content will of course also get pushed back.

And I'm not sure if it will make a big impact on the race between PS3 and Xbox 360. In the US 360 already has a big lead, and I don't think it really needs the help from GTA to keep that position in the foreseeable future. Europe might be different though, considering PS3 is outselling 360 there and it is catching up. But I'm not sure downloadable content will really be the deciding factor for many consumers.

Around the Network

Did you read the article? It says even more exclusive content is comming than they have already announced.

No, I didn't read the whole article, and you're right about them mentioning even more downloadable content. It is however meaningless, considering nobody knows what the content is, nor how they might be expanding it. For all I know they take their earlier ideas for content and chop it into more pieces in an attempt to make more money out of it. In the end you might end up getting exactly the same content, they just presented it to you differently.

To say that is also denying the magnitude of this game. This game is a system seller and is gonna probably out sell Halo 3 2-1 even if it was exclusive. Its like saying one version of Halo 3 has less maps than the other. Its a big deal only because of the magnitude of the game. I can see this game selling 17 million units in its life time across both systems. How many games can you say will sell that much?

personally i think it will sell roughly 1.5:1 in 360's favour.... but i think it will give the PS3 a much better hardware boost.

TWRoO said:
personally i think it will sell roughly 1.5:1 in 360's favour.... but i think it will give the PS3 a much better hardware boost.

Agreed; the PS3will see a bigger hardware boost but I can imagine MS using a price drop just before to prevent this. 

Even if the 360 has the content, I cant see the PS3 version doing too poorly. If youre using orange box as an example, it was released MONTHS earlier for two seperate platforms before the PS3. Look at assassins creed; percieved problems on the PS3 yet still sold very well. 

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey.