By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So Vgchartz Pro has arrived...

Baalzamon said:
Finnbar said:

This sucks... the whole reason I found this site and continue to come back is because of its sales. This is a site that used to pride itself on offering free video game sales to the masses, now its going to turn around and do the exact same thing it fought against all these years.... 

On a side note is it really ethical to charge people for sales data that was ammassed (even if only partailly) from sites that charge you to see sales data they collected? 

Is it ethical to buy bananas from a wholesaler and then sell them yourselves for a profit?

Thanks. Now you made me hungry for a banana!

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:
Zlejedi said:
DitchPlaya said:

Do i get a discount if im a Nintendo fan =P

Nope you will pay more since the numbers will make your Nintendo loving heart warm :)

So if the numbers make our Sony hearts cold because our favorite system is in 3rd place, can we get it for free because of the inconvenience it provides us with? lol

Dont worry, if Wii loses to PS3 in Japan, then fees for Sony fans will double!

Conegamer said:
kitler53 said:
Pineapple said:

It's easy to think that because we've been members a long time, VGChartz owes us something. But that's really not the case.

And hey, it's not that bad. We might lose some of the data, but most of the interesting stuff should be covered in The Source's news posts. (They're still going to be around roughly exactly the same way as they always were, right?)

i'll tell you want i think vgchartz does owe us ... an explination of what the heck is going on.

i'm tired of site changes just happening and spending my time looking for things that have gone missing without any warning.  ...and a post from brett buried in threads others started to question what is going on don't count.  just make an announcement thread and let us know what you are doing.  it's simple customer service and it keeps your customers from being angry at you.

I agree, they do need to explain what's going on

Also, I've just realised that this thread will no be much, much harder to do with this data. Any ideas?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=122379&page=1&str=2052722492#

There's no problem.

You stil get the hardware sales, so point 1 is covered.

You still get the software sales of all individual games. Or well, the difference every 4 weeks, which is exactly what you need for the thread. (It might end up being different weeks than you originally intended, but that's acceptable).

You still have the data needed for nearly all, if not all, of the "custom predictions" other people have made, too.

There's really no problem.

Xen said:
Snesboy said:
darthdevidem01 said:
ethomaz said:

And now begins the downfall of the VGC?

No VGC has been re-organized into the FIRST GALACTIC CHARTZ NETWORK, for safe and secure society!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNAHjsAnTd4

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GNAHjsAnTd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been loving all your posts in this thread darth. Especially this one.

At the whiny bitches. Stop whining. Get over it. We really shouldn't care as long as we all get to know that Wii is thrashing the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Also, the site is running a lot faster. And I would also like this opportunity to troll gamer print. For those of us on 4:3 monitors (like when I used my other computer) those shitty ads of yours still load even though the user can't see them. That's just retarded.

Trollolololol.

Luckily for us, it's getting outsold 2:1 by the HD duo! Woo!

And we're just talking about hardware sales. Software sales per system unit, GOTY awards or just overall quality comparisons would make a lot of Nintendo fanboys silent.

Pineapple said:
Conegamer said:
kitler53 said:
Pineapple said:

It's easy to think that because we've been members a long time, VGChartz owes us something. But that's really not the case.

And hey, it's not that bad. We might lose some of the data, but most of the interesting stuff should be covered in The Source's news posts. (They're still going to be around roughly exactly the same way as they always were, right?)

i'll tell you want i think vgchartz does owe us ... an explination of what the heck is going on.

i'm tired of site changes just happening and spending my time looking for things that have gone missing without any warning.  ...and a post from brett buried in threads others started to question what is going on don't count.  just make an announcement thread and let us know what you are doing.  it's simple customer service and it keeps your customers from being angry at you.

I agree, they do need to explain what's going on

Also, I've just realised that this thread will no be much, much harder to do with this data. Any ideas?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=122379&page=1&str=2052722492#

There's no problem.

You stil get the hardware sales, so point 1 is covered.

You still get the software sales of all individual games. Or well, the difference every 4 weeks, which is exactly what you need for the thread. (It might end up being different weeks than you originally intended, but that's acceptable).

You still have the data needed for nearly all, if not all, of the "custom predictions" other people have made, too.

There's really no problem.

If you're talking abouth the graphic sales, you can zoom it to show weekly sales as well.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Kasz216 said:
mrstickball said:

You forget why its a business.

Without access to sales data, companies will make crappier games that sell poorly, and close up shop. People have to have a profit motive to do things in life. NPD charges $100,000 per year for their data. VGC can likely expand and make everything better by adding more professional tools for developers/publishers/ect.

And if you really, really hate VGC, then feel free to make your own game charts website, work 40-50hrs a week, and then decide if its worth it to do it for free.

Do I like this change to a more paid format? No. I've been a member from almost day-1 (look at my ID). But there's a reason its here. Besides, getting a top-40 weekly is better than anything NPD, EEDAR, or any other company will give you.

Yep... that's about right.

As the numbers get more accurate and popular and used... the more expensive things get...

For the record, I only joined because of the numbers as well.  Well actually i joined because i was annoyed of people ignoring the numbers.  That one crazy guy who thought PS3 was way ahead of everything because it sold real well in portugal.

Yep. The real question (for me) is: 'Will the accuracy of VGC become much greater with a monetized system?'. I mean, if the users are getting a little less data, but far greater, almost-NPD levels of accuracy...Wouldn't that be a benefit for most of us? If its just a few tools, I can't see justifying the cost, because theres no way a few extra tools (which could probably be done on the users' end with some pivot tables and know-how in Excel) would be worth it. But if there is more data, better data, and more tools, then it should be pretty good.

I agree completely.  I dunno, I just want to see Ioi make some money too, I mean, maybe it's just because you and I have a background in statstistics... but we know just how hard this kind of thing is to do accuratly.

Statistical tuning usually takes a LOT of work.

Rainbird said:
makingmusic476 said:

As far as I'm aware, all data on the game pages is rounded to the nearest ten thousand units.  As such, weekly sales figures are essentially indiscernable for games selling 5k or less.

Even for games selling in the tens of thousands per week, if it's still below 100k, you won't get a very accurate representation of the figures via a game's dedicated page.

You should check up on stuff like that before you post. The data is rounded to the nearest hundred units, Valkyria Chronicles is sitting at 949.96k in total sales, which translates to 949960 units.

Ah.  it seems this issue only applies to games that have broken a million, at which point the figures are presented in million units as opposed to thousand.  So for example, Killzone 2's game page says the game sold .01 million units in the Americas last week, and nothing elsewhere, which is obviously not the case.

Zooming in so that you're only viewing that specific week of sales does not change this.

Pineapple said:

Well, any site owes its users something.  Otherwise they would possibly make many angry and those people may leave the site for good, which would take a good chunk of its advertising revenue with it.

@ badgenome

Quit being funny!

IMO - Business strategies of Vgchartz is quiet confusing and muddy..The overwhelming focus on the forum users gives me an amateur feeling about the site, and this cannot be good for potential professional customers of sales information. ioi, do you mind if i ask what your vision/mission regarding your site/business

Wait a min...I could of sworn ioi said the VG Chartz staff gets to see all the VG chartz pro content for free...what ever happened to that?