By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
kowenicki said:
Immortal said:
kowenicki said:

Oh and on this $500m ad campaign for the holiday and kinect launch...

Guess how much Ninty spent in the same quarter?.... $429m  (with nothing new to say)

Isn't $429m for all of Nintendo though (Wii DS)? And isn't the $500m Kinect campaign just for Kinect, not counting seperate 360 advertisement? If that's the case, then $500m is quite a bit.

Could you please clarify?

the $500m is the budget for XBOX gaming for the 3rd quarter including the launch of KInect, nobody can prove otherwise.

How do you differentitate kinect advertising from xbox advertising?  half of the time its for a kinect/360 bundle.. so ...

Wait, so this isn't for sure then, right? I suppose it's not possible to know the advertising budget of Kinect or 360 specifically.

And, by seperate 360 advertisement, I mean advertisement of 360 not including Kinect (since we don't know if the 500m accounts for it). Surely, MS must do some if Nintendo casually blows off over 200m in a holiday quarter on Wii advertisement.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Immortal said:
kowenicki said:
Immortal said:
kowenicki said:

Guess how much Ninty spent in the same quarter?.... $429m  (with nothing new to say)

Isn't $429m for all of Nintendo though (Wii DS)? And isn't the $500m Kinect campaign just for Kinect, not counting seperate 360 advertisement? If that's the case, then $500m is quite a bit.

the $500m is the budget for XBOX gaming for the 3rd quarter including the launch of KInect, nobody can prove otherwise.

How do you differentitate kinect advertising from xbox advertising?  half of the time its for a kinect/360 bundle.. so ...

Wait, so this isn't for sure then, right? I suppose it's not possible to know the advertising budget of Kinect or 360 specifically.

And, by seperate 360 advertisement, I mean advertisement of 360 not including Kinect (since we don't know if the 500m accounts for it). Surely, MS must do some if Nintendo casually blows off over 200m in a holiday quarter on Wii advertisement.

Did you see any advertisements for 360 without Kinect?  I cant say that I did.  The whole focus of the last quarter was Kinect/360 advertisement.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Gush, some people needs a break...>_> Go play some games or something.

OT:

Wow, the home consoles are so damn close. It has to be a conspiracy or something.

Wii needs a mushroom.

thx1139 said:

Did you see any advertisements for 360 without Kinect?  I cant say that I did.  The whole focus of the last quarter was Kinect/360 advertisement.

Mind you, the only advertisement I saw was a little for Kinect (even that on just a few TV shows here and there) and some software titles on different consoles (never for any HW) so, by my anecdotal evidence, there's no way so much has been spent on advertising by anyone so what I saw is kinda pointless.

Still, wouldn't there be ads for games that would count for something?

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

2 weeks running now the Xbox 360 has been slighty above the PS3 and the following week it was changed the other way around.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:

Gush, some people needs a break...>_> Go play some LBP2 or something.

OT:

Wow, the home consoles are so damn close. It has to be a conspiracy or something.

Wii needs a mushroom.

Fixed!

We need more people playing co-op on it

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

kowenicki said:
Immortal said:
kowenicki said:

The first time I read about those $500M there were links to MS PRs or execs saying that money was for Kinect in its launch period. They didn't specify the timespan that money would have been spent in, but they specified it was for Kinect and they were proud to show their company's marketing muscles about its new product. So, if MS is quite happy and comfortable about saying those $500M were for Kinect, I don't understand why you and some others get defensive about it. It's simply matter of company attitude: while some MS fans feel uncomfortable if it appears that somehow MS necessarily has to win when it uses such a marketing strength, MS itself, OTOH, has its own valid reason to do so and it's quite keen to remind every now and then competitors, investors, buyers and common people in general that it's able to allocate a lot of money to develop and/or market its products whenever it wants. Maybe here in Europe we find this attitude quite tacky and so it's normal some European MS fans are a little bit embarrassed by it, but American fans find it cool and an exciting exhibition of power. And it looks like in USA it works... But it works in UK too, so maybe you are one of the last Mohicans of Brit style and the majority of your fellow citizens aren't anymore the champions of stylish understatement of yore.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Another virtual tie, but the one winning by a whisker is XB360 instead of Wii this time. Wii Fit Plus manages to stay in the WW Top 10, unlike the American one, where it's been kicked out of it again. It's becoming more and more evident that Kinect is a very strong competitor for BB, a lot more than for the whole Wii, that is still strong and managed to get the biggest Xmas sales weeks also in 2010, it was easily deductable from its features, games and peculiar advantages. Most probably Ninty will start bundling BB in America too, but not having done it before Xmas, it will be a lot more difficult to recover part of the room left available for Kinect and quickly and effortlessly conquered by it. MS is more and more securing America and UK for XBox, and yes, elsewhere is not as strong and swift, but now in its strongholds it doesn't leave any opportunity unexploited. And although each company is reaching its goals in completely different ways from each other, the fight never was so balanced. Nice! This will make also the slow periods interesting.

I really start worrying for poor Malstrom, has he been kidnapped by aliens? Or is he on a secret mission to steal the Reality Distortion Field from Steve Jobs, to be able to elegantly climb mirrors without horribly squeaking next time he posts?   

Or ya know, he could just have a life :P

I love how angry Malstrom makes some people. Just shows whatever he's doing is working. That some random dude on the interenet, who doesn't make a profit, and minds his own business on his own blog, manages to piss off so many people.

Metallicube said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Another virtual tie, but the one winning by a whisker is XB360 instead of Wii this time. Wii Fit Plus manages to stay in the WW Top 10, unlike the American one, where it's been kicked out of it again. It's becoming more and more evident that Kinect is a very strong competitor for BB, a lot more than for the whole Wii, that is still strong and managed to get the biggest Xmas sales weeks also in 2010, it was easily deductable from its features, games and peculiar advantages. Most probably Ninty will start bundling BB in America too, but not having done it before Xmas, it will be a lot more difficult to recover part of the room left available for Kinect and quickly and effortlessly conquered by it. MS is more and more securing America and UK for XBox, and yes, elsewhere is not as strong and swift, but now in its strongholds it doesn't leave any opportunity unexploited. And although each company is reaching its goals in completely different ways from each other, the fight never was so balanced. Nice! This will make also the slow periods interesting.

I really start worrying for poor Malstrom, has he been kidnapped by aliens? Or is he on a secret mission to steal the Reality Distortion Field from Steve Jobs, to be able to elegantly climb mirrors without horribly squeaking next time he posts?   

Or ya know, he could just have a life :P

I love how angry Malstrom makes some people. Just shows whatever he's doing is working. That some random dude on the interenet, who doesn't make a profit, and minds his own business on his own blog, manages to piss off so many people.

Angry? Not really. Actually making wacky hypotheses about his disappearance entertains me quite a lot.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

All consoles doing great. X360 250 gB bundles selling out pretty well along with some kinect bundle...my friend in the gym had to hurry out to GAME today to get the replacement for his 360 with the infamous RROD...RROD still alive and kicking!!