By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - ISP rates in USA are overpriced

ISP rates in USA are overpriced

I am satisfied with my ISP rate 22 16.79%

I am netural 22 16.79%

I am dissatisfied with my ISP 33 25.19%

I am getting raped by my ISP 54 41.22%

Total:131

Russia has better internet speed because the vast majority of it has no access to "high speed" internet. Infact a large portion of it essentially has no inhabitants. Part of the United States problem is its large area, the vast majority being spaced out suburbs which makes it quite expensive. Lack of competition is what keeps the speed slow. Huge area is what keeps the costs high. Its a double wammie. 

Around the Network

NA is screwed for ISP. I've seen similar tests. NA is slow and over priced.. Why because they can get away with throtteling our connection. Yes they do and don't even pretend they don't. The government is Corporate America's sugar daddy to really care about screwing over... actually they care very much. Let corporate NA screw over the people even more so that they can make more money. It's just a fat cat politics of pocketing as much money as possible for as little service as possible.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Canada has internetz?

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

trasharmdsister12 said:
NotStan said:

Canada has internetz?

The mostest expensivist internetz.

Off topic: It seems they're applying some updates to VGChartz but the new formatting for posts is only applying to new posts. It's really messing me up. lol

Yeah I know, teh page has one all funky. I think my family pays around £15 - ~$28 for 20MB internet, except in my shitty cable area, maximum is like 6.5, so, fail. I suppose UK ain't too bad, but with the break on Gas that US gets, at least one aspect of life shouldn't be dirt cheap/

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

trasharmdsister12 said:
NotStan said:

Yeah I know, teh page has one all funky. I think my family pays around £15 - ~$28 for 20MB internet, except in my shitty cable area, maximum is like 6.5, so, fail. I suppose UK ain't too bad, but with the break on Gas that US gets, at least one aspect of life shouldn't be dirt cheap/

Is there a bandwidth cap on your service? If not that's actually pretty cheap. To get a similar speed from one of the major ISP's in Canada you're paying ~$60 and it'll have a band cap of around 100-125 GB. That may seem like a lot, but for someone like me who wants to use Netflix to stream a handful of HD movies, and download my 20 GB games from Steam every month... It's next to nothing. And add in the fact that there are 5 other moderate to heavy internet users in my house...

In Canada we have a "regulation agency" called the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission) that is supposed to regulate TV, Internet, and wireless channels and make it easy for Canadian owned businesses to operate successfully in these places. Much of the agency consists of former Bell and Rogers (two largest telecommunications , ISP, and TV providers) employees, so essentially the decisions they make are greatly in favour of the companies rather than the consumers. Just today the Canadian government had to step in and overrule a decision the CRTC made about "charge by the GB" internet usage, where ISP's would charge a base rate with a low bandwidth cap, and charge something like $2/GB if you went over. The rule mainly applied to ISP's who piggy back on the big 2's lines but implementing it would be a counter to what they're supposed to stand for; as in those smaller Canadian ISP's would have a harder time competing as they'd have to either raise prices a fair amount or greatly reduce band caps.

Someone actually did a study with their new price structure and came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper for someone to buy a 256 GB SSD, store data on it, and mail it to some location than it would be to send that data through the internet.

Also, when confronted about the highest telecommunications rates in the world they say that the country is so large with a low population density so they need to spend more on laying down cables than they get in return from customers... But more than 80% of the population lives within a few hours of the Canadian/US border so that argument is moot as well. I could go on but it really is no use until the government just altogether scraps the CRTC and puts a new regulation board in its place with untied individuals running it.

Alright.. that's enough venting. Anyone who reads my rant gets a cookie! Oh wait..

Nice post..  I am pretty curious what goes on in the rest of the world dealing with internet usage/pricing.  Bandwidth caps sound terrible especially for me since I use Netflix / internet gaming.  I suppose the picture isn't too bright in a lot of other countries as well.  Bandwidth caps should be illegal especially since more and more people are streaming movies, etc..  Anyways, thanks for letting me know the situation in Canada.

Around the Network
enrageorange said:

Russia has better internet speed because the vast majority of it has no access to "high speed" internet. Infact a large portion of it essentially has no inhabitants. Part of the United States problem is its large area, the vast majority being spaced out suburbs which makes it quite expensive. Lack of competition is what keeps the speed slow. Huge area is what keeps the costs high. Its a double wammie. 

Even subtracting those barren parts Russia is still big. Might as well erase alaska for US too, which makes US a bit smaller considering how huge Alaska is. We could probably erase some parts in the Rockies too. They are comparable, although not perfectly so.

Canada is much worse in price but given the vast land (even if 90% live within the area closest to the US boarder). 

25/7 costs me about $50 (not including tax). 

SmokedHostage said:

At the very least, we don't have AU's caps.

Also AU's speed.

Also AU's pricing scheme

im ok with mine. $99 for 40/5 with HD Cable TV.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

trasharmdsister12 said:
NotStan said:

Is there a bandwidth cap on your service? If not that's actually pretty cheap. To get a similar speed from one of the major ISP's in Canada you're paying ~$60 and it'll have a band cap of around 100-125 GB. That may seem like a lot, but for someone like me who wants to use Netflix to stream a handful of HD movies, and download my 20 GB games from Steam every month... It's next to nothing. And add in the fact that there are 5 other moderate to heavy internet users in my house...

In Canada we have a "regulation agency" called the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television Telecommunications Commission) that is supposed to regulate TV, Internet, and wireless channels and make it easy for Canadian owned businesses to operate successfully in these places. Much of the agency consists of former Bell and Rogers (two largest telecommunications , ISP, and TV providers) employees, so essentially the decisions they make are greatly in favour of the companies rather than the consumers. Just today the Canadian government had to step in and overrule a decision the CRTC made about "charge by the GB" internet usage, where ISP's would charge a base rate with a low bandwidth cap, and charge something like $2/GB if you went over. The rule mainly applied to ISP's who piggy back on the big 2's lines but implementing it would be a counter to what they're supposed to stand for; as in those smaller Canadian ISP's would have a harder time competing as they'd have to either raise prices a fair amount or greatly reduce band caps.

Someone actually did a study with their new price structure and came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper for someone to buy a 256 GB SSD, store data on it, and mail it to some location than it would be to send that data through the internet.

Also, when confronted about the highest telecommunications rates in the world they say that the country is so large with a low population density so they need to spend more on laying down cables than they get in return from customers... But more than 80% of the population lives within a few hours of the Canadian/US border so that argument is moot as well. I could go on but it really is no use until the government just altogether scraps the CRTC and puts a new regulation board in its place with untied individuals running it.

Alright.. that's enough venting. Anyone who reads my rant gets a cookie! Oh wait..

After all the complaints the CRTC finally got called on it by Harper, the president of the CRTC has to go infront of parliament and explain himself for letting per usage billing happen.