By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Wii 2 announced this year?

Smashchu2 said:
trestres said:
Smashchu2 said:

Nintendo wil announce one when they think the competition will (Sony). The 3DS is a testement to that. They show it off at E3, and Sony reveals the NPG in January of this year. Nintendo knows it will be death if they release it late. Expect it in 2012 to 2014, which is a resonable window for when competion may enter.

Nintendo will not do it as a result of laging sales. Nintendo's strategy is release game, and they have mentioned it everytime they talk about their Wii sales. This year is the year where they will have the software ready to try and start growth (stallled do to the 2 year development cycle of games).

That 2 year cycle thing is nonsense, Nintendo always has games in the works, is not as if they had just 2 teams ready which work strictly for 2 years in a game. Nintendo is doing as much as it can in regards to slowing sales, but the aging component also comes into play here. Nintendo cannot reverse a trend that simply, so it's alraedy time to stop believing Wii sales will explode once again due to some "magic hardware driving software". No such thing exists. NSMBWii didn't manage that on its own in 2009, price cut and new colors came into play too. I think you are overestimating what Nintendo can or cannot do, and no, there's no such thing as the 2 year cycle.

Games take about 2 years, though it can very depending on the project and it's probably longer for the HD twins. This means if Nintendo had a goal for any project, it would have to have been two years back. The Wii declined in early 2009. This means any software made as a response to this would have been started, at the earliest, in early 2009. Two years from that point is early 2011.

Look at the major games Nintendo released in the last two years and you'll see what I mean.

• Wii Sport Resort
  • Wii Fit Plus
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii
  • Punch-Out
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Wii Party
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns

The two bolded are probably the only games made to try to combat this problem, as they would take the shortest time. Wii Party may have been made for this goal, but Nintendo likely never had high expectations for it since they announced it before E3. Outside of Donkey Kong Country Returns, none of these titles would boost software sales. Most of these games entered production when Wii sales were still good.

So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument. WSR is far more important than Wii Fit plus, as the latter was just an expansion and not meant to improve sales. WSR on the other hand was, since it introduced the Motion Plus. But that was less than half a year after the slowing sales, once again contradicting your reasoning.

And now that we are 2 years exactly after slow sales commenced, where are the games? That 2 year figure is inexistant. The games should have been here and they are not. What's worse is that their current 1st party line up is extremely weak, there are no notable games.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

doubt it.

if so then pigs fly

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

doubt it.

if so then pigs fly

But pigs do fly.

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/42128617#pm_cmp=vid_OEV_P_P

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

doubt it.

if so then pigs fly

But pigs do fly.

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/42128617#pm_cmp=vid_OEV_P_P

ok?

with fire on there wings while saying it won't happen this yr.

Beuli2 said:

There would be no sense in announcing it this year. Why would Nintendo make the Wii Remote Plus, with packed-in motion plus? To play 1 year old games? FlyingSmash? I don't think so, they are preparing a big motion plus games pack at E3.

I think the fact that they initially packed Wii Party with the older remotes lends credence to this view - they maybe had a load that they wanted to offload quickly and then discontinue.  Can you still get the old style remotes brand new or are Motion Plus ones the only ones you can get hold of now?

Around the Network
Declan said:
Beuli2 said:

There would be no sense in announcing it this year. Why would Nintendo make the Wii Remote Plus, with packed-in motion plus? To play 1 year old games? FlyingSmash? I don't think so, they are preparing a big motion plus games pack at E3.

I think the fact that they initially packed Wii Party with the older remotes lends credence to this view - they maybe had a load that they wanted to offload quickly and then discontinue.  Can you still get the old style remotes brand new or are Motion Plus ones the only ones you can get hold of now?

I have no idea, but I don't think they are producing the old model anymore.

Above: still the best game of the year.

trestres said:
Smashchu2 said:
trestres said:
Smashchu2 said:

Nintendo wil announce one when they think the competition will (Sony). The 3DS is a testement to that. They show it off at E3, and Sony reveals the NPG in January of this year. Nintendo knows it will be death if they release it late. Expect it in 2012 to 2014, which is a resonable window for when competion may enter.

Nintendo will not do it as a result of laging sales. Nintendo's strategy is release game, and they have mentioned it everytime they talk about their Wii sales. This year is the year where they will have the software ready to try and start growth (stallled do to the 2 year development cycle of games).

That 2 year cycle thing is nonsense, Nintendo always has games in the works, is not as if they had just 2 teams ready which work strictly for 2 years in a game. Nintendo is doing as much as it can in regards to slowing sales, but the aging component also comes into play here. Nintendo cannot reverse a trend that simply, so it's alraedy time to stop believing Wii sales will explode once again due to some "magic hardware driving software". No such thing exists. NSMBWii didn't manage that on its own in 2009, price cut and new colors came into play too. I think you are overestimating what Nintendo can or cannot do, and no, there's no such thing as the 2 year cycle.

Games take about 2 years, though it can very depending on the project and it's probably longer for the HD twins. This means if Nintendo had a goal for any project, it would have to have been two years back. The Wii declined in early 2009. This means any software made as a response to this would have been started, at the earliest, in early 2009. Two years from that point is early 2011.

Look at the major games Nintendo released in the last two years and you'll see what I mean.

• Wii Sport Resort
  • Wii Fit Plus
  • Punch-Out
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Wii Party

The two bolded are probably the only games made to try to combat this problem, as they would take the shortest time. Wii Party may have been made for this goal, but Nintendo likely never had high expectations for it since they announced it before E3. Outside of Donkey Kong Country Returns, none of these titles would boost software sales. Most of these games entered production when Wii sales were still good.

So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument. WSR is far more important than Wii Fit plus, as the latter was just an expansion and not meant to improve sales. WSR on the other hand was, since it introduced the Motion Plus. But that was less than half a year after the slowing sales, once again contradicting your reasoning.

And now that we are 2 years exactly after slow sales commenced, where are the games? That 2 year figure is inexistant. The games should have been here and they are not. What's worse is that their current 1st party line up is extremely weak, there are no notable games.

It doesn't meanthe games will magically start popping up in exactly 2 years. That idea is too literal. Also, the earliest the games could be started was 2009. It could be anywhere from March to October, depending on variations of development time and when the project was decided to enter production. Nintendo is probably being conservative and waiting until the later half of the year for anything (including Skyward Sword). let's also not forget that we know nothing about Nintendo 2011 line up because they wont tell us until later.

So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument.

The two bolded are probably the only games made to try to combat this problem, as they would take the shortest time. I mentioned in another thread they could have as short as a 1 year cycle and they have been in production earlier.

I must also ask, what is your reasoning to release a new console. If you were in Nintendo's board room, surrounded by men who graduated from some of the best schools in Japan and probably have a lot of experience in the feild. What would you, posting on VGchartz, say to them for slower Wii sales?

Smashchu2 said:
trestres said:
Smashchu2 said:
trestres said:
Smashchu2 said:

• Wii Sport Resort
  • Wii Fit Plus
  • Punch-Out
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • Wii Party

It doesn't meanthe games will magically start popping up in exactly 2 years. That idea is too literal. Also, the earliest the games could be started was 2009. It could be anywhere from March to October, depending on variations of development time and when the project was decided to enter production. Nintendo is probably being conservative and waiting until the later half of the year for anything (including Skyward Sword). let's also not forget that we know nothing about Nintendo 2011 line up because they wont tell us until later.

So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument.

The two bolded are probably the only games made to try to combat this problem, as they would take the shortest time. I mentioned in another thread they could have as short as a 1 year cycle and they have been in production earlier.

I must also ask, what is your reasoning to release a new console. If you were in Nintendo's board room, surrounded by men who graduated from some of the best schools in Japan and probably have a lot of experience in the feild. What would you, posting on VGchartz, say to them for slower Wii sales?

Time to move on. That's what I'd say. Publishers are ignoring the console, why bother anymore? Sales are dying and competitors are seeing rising sales. Investors are wondering how will Nintendo manage to stop the downfall but there's no apparent answer. Plus the console has been very successful and the brand association would be good for next gen while the console is still mentioned in the media. Nintendo has to solve the third party issues. We know most of the companies hate the Wii console and feel repulsion for it, aversion for developing games for the Wii. Nintendo has to start working now on attracting the developers to their console and what's better than a new console, one that publishers won't hate if approached now by Nintendo before Sony and MS make a move first. Waiting for the competition to start next gen would be suicidal and would led to worse results in terms of support. Wii 2 would just be a 1st party machine, way more than what the Wii was. Plus the console is dead in Japan, in their homeland. It would be a big hit for them as a company to start getting outsold by Sony once again, which is getting all of the third party games.

Nintendo is clueless right now in regards to the Wii, it's better to move on than sink even more, at least in Japan. The West will follow suit soon as there is barely no new content for it in the upcoming first half of the year, and sales are already way below what they were last year during this period. Investors don't like to be fooled by the same promises over and over again, they want to see results. 3DS was done in order for Nintendo to maintain supremacy in the handheld market, as SW sales started to die and HW declined fast (and even then it was still selling more HW than the Wii). Wii SW sales are dying pretty much, with now 2 games bundled and a way bigger userbase, SW sales are DOWN from last FY in the same time frames, and the last quarter of this FY will only make things worse as there's no big SW coming up soon.

Now tell me, what would you say to them?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

dont beleive will see anonther nintendo console till at least 2013

wonder which one will release first for next gen out of the 3, they might all get released the same year

Play Me

have we heard rumors about wii 2 beyond wishful thinking? i mean there were (accurate) rumors rampant for NGP and 3DS before they were  announced, i'm talking devkits and developers hinting about stuff. when that starts happening then you can expect a announcement os near.