By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Wii 2 announced this year?

trestres said:

They have always redesigned their portables. It's more of an item of fashion, their redesigns were almost always aesthetic or to make the console smaller.

They have only redesigned the NES and the SNES, but both of them were launched after the new console had arriived, and there was room for making it smaller. Even then, they lost features instead of gaining new ones, so I don't actually see it happening for the Wii because:
Nintendo hasn't redesigned their last 2 home consoles and they were selling quite badly, so why didn't they do it if it would have been financially correct?
Nintendo can't make the Wii smaller, more energy efficient or reliable without taking away parts from it.
Nintendo released the NES and SNES redesigns AFTER the new gen consoles had arrived to get a few more sales from collectionists.
A redesigned Wii would just change it's exterior form, not affect the size. That's what limited editions and different colors are here for.

Lots could be done to reduce the size of the Wii, I'm not sure if changes like that would be seen as being meaningful though ...

Simply moving from their current DVD drive (which is the same proportions as a PC-DVD drive) to a slot loading laptop DVD drive would dramatically reduce the size of the Wii; and if they moved to a 32nm manufacturing process and reduced the size of their GPU and CPU (possibly integrating them onto a single chip) they could produce a system which was (roughly) the same size as their slot loading laptop DVD player. About the only components that would be at risk of being removed would be the Gamecube controller ports; but I'm certain an intelligent designer could find a way to integrate them into a (slightly) larger design.

Around the Network

"Nintendo can't make the Wii smaller, more energy efficient or reliable without taking away parts from it."

I disagree with that and wonder on what facts you are basing this assumption. But yes they can remove "parts of it" like the BC, it's not like it is a selling point anymore. By removing BC they can remove the GC controllers ports and safe slots which alone would reduce signicantly the size of the hardware. And if Sony can produce a PS3 portable I don't see why Nintendo couldn't make the hardware of the Wii more compact. The DVD driver is the only thing that can't be reduced obviously. Still there is a lot of room to make a slimmer and smaller version of the wii. 

gum said:

"Nintendo can't make the Wii smaller, more energy efficient or reliable without taking away parts from it."

I disagree with that and wonder on what facts you are basing this assumption. But yes they can remove "parts of it" like the BC, it's not like it is a selling point anymore. By removing BC they can remove the GC controllers ports and safe slots which alone would reduce signicantly the size of the hardware. And if Sony can produce a PS3 portable I don't see why Nintendo couldn't make the hardware of the Wii more compact. The DVD driver is the only thing that can't be reduced obviously. Still there is a lot of room to make a slimmer and smaller version of the wii. 

Wii is already very small and, yes you will need to take features away like the BC in order to make it noticeably smaller. I see that's the only point you addresssed, what about the rest of my post?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

HappySqurriel said:
trestres said:

They have always redesigned their portables. It's more of an item of fashion, their redesigns were almost always aesthetic or to make the console smaller.

They have only redesigned the NES and the SNES, but both of them were launched after the new console had arriived, and there was room for making it smaller. Even then, they lost features instead of gaining new ones, so I don't actually see it happening for the Wii because:
Nintendo hasn't redesigned their last 2 home consoles and they were selling quite badly, so why didn't they do it if it would have been financially correct?
Nintendo can't make the Wii smaller, more energy efficient or reliable without taking away parts from it.
Nintendo released the NES and SNES redesigns AFTER the new gen consoles had arrived to get a few more sales from collectionists.
A redesigned Wii would just change it's exterior form, not affect the size. That's what limited editions and different colors are here for.

Lots could be done to reduce the size of the Wii, I'm not sure if changes like that would be seen as being meaningful though ...

Simply moving from their current DVD drive (which is the same proportions as a PC-DVD drive) to a slot loading laptop DVD drive would dramatically reduce the size of the Wii; and if they moved to a 32nm manufacturing process and reduced the size of their GPU and CPU (possibly integrating them onto a single chip) they could produce a system which was (roughly) the same size as their slot loading laptop DVD player. About the only components that would be at risk of being removed would be the Gamecube controller ports; but I'm certain an intelligent designer could find a way to integrate them into a (slightly) larger design.

Of course it can be made smaller, but it won't be noticeable. The PS3 and 360 were huge in comparison, slimmer versions did make sense. Moving to a 32nm process won't save that much space anyways and the Wii is already energy efficient. Plus if they ever do a redesign, I'd expect it to be after Wii 2 is here and at a price of 99$ or lower, but I still can't see how much more you can reduce the Wii's size without removing features from it. Is a 10% decrease in size worthy of a redesign? Would customers care if the Wii gets even smaller?

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
gum said:

Wii is already very small and, yes you will need to take features away like the BC in order to make it noticeably smaller. I see that's the only point you addresssed, what about the rest of my post?

Well then it's possible to reduce significantly the size of the Wii by just removing the BC and using more compact components. I don't see what is the problem then. That's possible and I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't do it.

As for the rest of your post, sure Nintendo hasn't redesigned its two previous consoles. Yes and? That doesn't mean that they won't do such moves with the Wii or the next ones, does it?

Around the Network
gum said:
trestres said:
gum said:

Well then it's possible to reduce significantly the size of the Wii by just removing the BC and using more compact components. I don't see what is the problem then. That's possible and I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't do it.

As for the rest of your post, sure Nintendo hasn't redesigned its two previous consoles. Yes and? That doesn't mean that they won't do such moves with the Wii or the next ones, does it?

The size reduction comes at a cost of losing features, I doubt people will like that. Anyways, why didn't nintendo do a redesign with their last 2 consoles? If they were selling bad, wouldn't it have made sales go up? Nintendo is not going to reduce the size of the Wii before next gen console arrives, and even then I doubt it. If you want wee can make a bet about it. Following past moves from the manufacturer gives you a lot of clues, and they've never redesigned their home consoles before next gen console arrived. And they did it to give the console a last push and was aimed only at collectionists or people looking for a cheap and small console. Wii is already cheap and small, you can't reduce its size like SNES or NES did before. Because Wii is even smaller than the redesigns of those.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Khuutra said:

Possibly, but don't expect it at E3. I mean, I guess they could announce it there. I'd rather they jsut wait until Skyward Sword is out.

This. Let the last wave of games come out and get their deserved sakes before the Wii2 robs great games of sales... (see Chibi Robo)

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

trestres said:
gum said:
trestres said:
gum said:

The size reduction comes at a cost of losing features, I doubt people will like that. Anyways, why didn't nintendo do a redesign with their last 2 consoles? If they were selling bad, wouldn't it have made sales go up? Nintendo is not going to reduce the size of the Wii before next gen console arrives, and even then I doubt it. If you want wee can make a bet about it. Following past moves from the manufacturer gives you a lot of clues, and they've never redesigned their home consoles before next gen console arrived. And they did it to give the console a last push and was aimed only at collectionists or people looking for a cheap and small console. Wii is already cheap and small, you can't reduce its size like SNES or NES did before. Because Wii is even smaller than the redesigns of those.

"The size reduction comes at a cost of losing features, I doubt people will like that. "

They did that with the DSi and the Micro I think so I don't see how it would be a problem. See I can also make reference to the past but if looking for the past to understand the future is of course a the most obvious way to predict things you of course have to back it up with logic and the actual context. Nowadays every consoles get a redesign and that's always ends to be a good way to improve sales (well except PSP Go :) ok but PSP had many successful revisions) so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do it. We can bet if you want but I would prefer arguments as I think I have answered to most (all?) of yours ;p.

trestres said:
Mr.Metralha said:
trestres said:

What's the incentive for people to buy that? When did I say only size was a factor? Did you not read my post in purpose just to have a reason to answer to me? Tell me then, what other features could nintendo add to the Wii to make it more attractive?

The same for 360 and PS3 slim models. 

In their cases it was the size, energy consumption and (only for the 360) reliability.

Wii can't improve on any of those, so what would a redesign add?

• 4 gigs flash memory with pre loaded flagship apps and games
  • Customisable LED color
  • 199$ including Skyward Sword (:D)
  • 199$ including Wii Sports Resort

400K selling weeks income

gum said:
trestres said:
gum said:
trestres said:
gum said:

"The size reduction comes at a cost of losing features, I doubt people will like that. "

They did that with the DSi and the Micro I think so I don't see how it would be a problem. See I can also make reference to the past but if looking for the past to understand the future is of course a the most obvious way to predict things you of course have to back it up with logic and the actual context. Nowadays every consoles get a redesign and that's always ends to be a good way to improve sales (well except PSP Go :) ok but PSP had many successful revisions) so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do it. We can bet if you want but I would prefer arguments as I think I have answered to most (all?) of yours ;p.

True about the DSi losing features, but like I said before, portable redesigns are much different. Nintendo makes a lot of them to every gen portable. HW redesigns on home consoles are a 1 time thing if they even exist. If we go by the current trend, they won't be releasing a HW revision (Neither GC nor N64 got one). And there lies my question, why didn't Nintendo do a redesign of the N64 or the GC? It would at least have brought extra sales according to your reasoning which would have been welcomed by nintendo. I think the Wii doesn't need a redesign at all, people do not buy it for the looks rather than for the buzz it has generated in the society/media. And the future is bleak in regards to its buzz. A redesign will obviously make sales go up, but it would br so frontloaded that it will not matter after a month or 2. Sales will just drop back to the current levels. I don't believe the casual community will re-buy a Wii just because it's slightly smaller and has more rounded edges.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies