By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Wii 2 announced this year?

trestres said:
gum said:

@trestres:"why is Nintendo releasing the 3DS if sales were still much higher than the Wii's ones. Do you consider the NGP to be competition for the 3DS?"

That's easy to answer, no need to be a master analyst: that's because the software sales were decreasing strongly and like I said few posts before that's what really matters to Nintendo and the reason why they don't need a Wii2 right now ass Nintendo software sales on the Wii are still amazingly good.

Wii is not moving SW in Japan at all and neither moving HW. That's why I said that Japan should be the first place where the Wii should be launched. DS sold more HW and SW than the Wii by a big margin last year, even when it was known that a new portable was coming. Still then, Nintendo is killing a better source of income in Japan.

And Nintendo SW World Wide is decreasing overall. Last year it sold less software than in 2009, and we need to consider that they had 2 bundled games in 2010 vs 1 bundled game in 2009 and that the userbase was 17 million users bigger by the end of this year. So Wii is definitely on a downwards trend in SW. And the competition is seeing best 3rd party sales and also getting the majority (if not all) of the third party console games. If Nintendo wants to see better SW sales they need to, first of all, tackle the 3rd party issue. They can't do it on the current Wii, since it's already too late and most devs already moved away. With a new console things can change if they are approached now. If they wait again until next gen starts, then the next console will be dead on arrival in terms of third party support.

I'm talking about Nintendo software sales worldwhile. I don't see why talking about one region specifically. Probably those are still decreasing as they had NSMBW last year and DKC is a less selling franchise this year (still doing amazingly well). Still the Wii is a gold mine for Nintendo right now: look at the Weekly TOP10 Worldwide sales on this site! There is always 4 or 5 Wii games from Nintendo in it. I think that's enough to say that the software Wii market is very healthy for them and that there is no hurry to release another console at the moment. Quite the opposite in fact, they should wait as long as possible before doing so.

Around the Network

Like I said, Nintendo just needs to have bundles, maybe different colours and a couple of price cuts to help the Wii along in sales.

Most people who wanted a Wii have one by now. The so called 'casuals' aren't going to want to buy a Wii because of a hardware revision. It's the games/bundles, colours and lower pricing that will interest them.

As for the core gamers who look down on the Wii, they're not going to want to buy a Wii for hardware revision either if they already have a PS3/360. If they didn't want to buy it for the games before just because of 'weak graphics', a revision probably won't change that.

How many current Wii owners will go out to buy an HD Wii so they can see jaggies more clearly?

It's best to leave it as it is until it's time to move on (which is not far away). Then they can address the weaknesses of the Wii properly with the new console.

gum said:
trestres said:
gum said:

@trestres:"why is Nintendo releasing the 3DS if sales were still much higher than the Wii's ones. Do you consider the NGP to be competition for the 3DS?"

That's easy to answer, no need to be a master analyst: that's because the software sales were decreasing strongly and like I said few posts before that's what really matters to Nintendo and the reason why they don't need a Wii2 right now ass Nintendo software sales on the Wii are still amazingly good.

Wii is not moving SW in Japan at all and neither moving HW. That's why I said that Japan should be the first place where the Wii should be launched. DS sold more HW and SW than the Wii by a big margin last year, even when it was known that a new portable was coming. Still then, Nintendo is killing a better source of income in Japan.

And Nintendo SW World Wide is decreasing overall. Last year it sold less software than in 2009, and we need to consider that they had 2 bundled games in 2010 vs 1 bundled game in 2009 and that the userbase was 17 million users bigger by the end of this year. So Wii is definitely on a downwards trend in SW. And the competition is seeing best 3rd party sales and also getting the majority (if not all) of the third party console games. If Nintendo wants to see better SW sales they need to, first of all, tackle the 3rd party issue. They can't do it on the current Wii, since it's already too late and most devs already moved away. With a new console things can change if they are approached now. If they wait again until next gen starts, then the next console will be dead on arrival in terms of third party support.

I'm talking about Nintendo software sales worldwhile. I don't see why talking about one region specifcally. Probably those are still decreasing as they had NSMBW last year and DKC is a less selling franchise this year (still doing amazingly well). Still the Wii is a gold mine for Nintendo right now: look at the Weekly TOP10 Worldwide sales on this site! There is always 4 or 5 Wii games from Nintendo in it. I think that's enough to say that the software Wii market is very healthy for them and that there is no hurry to release another console at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

Bundles are a bg reason why thos games keep showing up so high. Wii is now bundled with 2 games in the West. And Nintendo cannot wait until their console dies in Japan as it's their homeland. They are obligued to have a competitive console on the market and this year sales are going down pretty steeply.

Nintendo will release a new console next year there at least. I expect them to do so before this FY ends. And a redesign won't make people go out and buy a Wii. You cannot make it smaller and add everything you said they should. Will actually make it bigger, and let's be honest, Wii can't get smaller. The DVD drive already makes that impossible.
No one will care for inner sepcs like HD scaling. If people are playing the Wii in SD, why would they care if it upscaled or not? They don't care about installing software for faster load times, because it's not needed. Not even the HD's use the option that much and in their case it's more justified due to the amount of data that needs to be loaded.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Pavolink said:
trestres said:

So where are the games? NSMBWii came less than a year after the slow sales started, completely negating your argument. WSR is far more important than Wii Fit plus, as the latter was just an expansion and not meant to improve sales. WSR on the other hand was, since it introduced the Motion Plus. But that was less than half a year after the slowing sales, once again contradicting your reasoning.

And now that we are 2 years exactly after slow sales commenced, where are the games? That 2 year figure is inexistant. The games should have been here and they are not. What's worse is that their current 1st party line up is extremely weak, there are no notable games.

2 years cycle for games is real. At the beggining of the E3 2009 show, Iwata was in stage, and show a picture of Mario and Link and told to the audience that they were making new Mario and Zelda titles.

At the final, press asked him about that games, and he tell them that we have to wait, because those titles need between two or three years of development.  These are some examples:

Super Mario Galaxy (2007) - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) >>> 2 and a half years

Wii Sports (2006) - Wii Sports Resorts (2009) >>> 2 and a half years

And from others generations, Zelda is the best example:

Ocarina of Time (1998) - Majora's Mask (2000) >>> 2 years

Majora's Mask (2000) - The Wind Waker (2002-Japan) >>> 2 years

Metroid Prime (2002) - Metroid Prime 2 (2004) >>> 2 years

Is not that Nintendo isn't developing other titles, but from what I understand, is possible a Wii Sports 3, Wii Fit 3, NSMBWii 2 this year.

Just because a game came out after that period does not mean they started it right away (talking about the sports games here they can make a game like that in 6 months or something) OoT took about 4 years to make or so I have read some ware I think it was on ign.

Your talking about games made after there has been one on the same console that means they have the engine already to create the next game.  

and for  Zelda SS this is the longest we’ve had to wait for a 3D console Zelda from 2006 to 2011 that is 5 years if they release it at the end of this year    

what Nintendo can do is lower the price of their games (those that have sold over 5 million or something)  and do a players choice though I think this will happen this year together with a Wii price cut. I think they will do a WiiWinter Sports game with both WMplus and WBB support and then include that with all the Wiis.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Play4Fun said:

Like I said, Nintendo just needs to have bundles, maybe different colours and a couple of price cuts to help the Wii along in sales.

Most people who wanted a Wii have one by now. The so called 'casuals' aren't going to want to buy a Wii because of a hardware revision. It's the games/bundles, colours and lower pricing that will interest them.

As for the core gamers who look down on the Wii, they're not going to want to buy a Wii for hardware revision either if they already have a PS3/360. If they didn't want to buy it for the games before just because of 'weak graphics', a revision probably won't change that.

How many current Wii owners will go out to buy an HD Wii so they can see jaggies more clearly?

It's best to leave it as it is until it's time to move on (which is not far away). Then they can address the weaknesses of the Wii properly with the new console.

Ok but can you explain to me how the actual situation of the Wii is different to the DS Lite one because when the DSi and DSi XL were released I'm quite sure there was already a huge userbase and everyone was assuming that "the whole population of japan" and "all casual gamers" and "all Nintendo fans" and so on... have already bought one as well. Still the DSi and DSi XL have been huge successes. So what is so different with the Wii now?

Perhaps you just want a new Nintendo console and I can understand that but does it make sense from a commercial and strategic standpoint?

Around the Network

Possibly, but don't expect it at E3. I mean, I guess they could announce it there. I'd rather they jsut wait until Skyward Sword is out.

No, instead they will re-invigorate the console by announcing several advanced Motion Plus and Ballance Board game desings at E3.

*hopes*

trestres said:
gum said:
trestres said:
gum said:

I'm talking about Nintendo software sales worldwhile. I don't see why talking about one region specifcally. Probably those are still decreasing as they had NSMBW last year and DKC is a less selling franchise this year (still doing amazingly well). Still the Wii is a gold mine for Nintendo right now: look at the Weekly TOP10 Worldwide sales on this site! There is always 4 or 5 Wii games from Nintendo in it. I think that's enough to say that the software Wii market is very healthy for them and that there is no hurry to release another console at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

Bundles are a bg reason why thos games keep showing up so high. Wii is now bundled with 2 games in the West. And Nintendo cannot wait until their console dies in Japan as it's their homeland. They are obligued to have a competitive console on the market and this year sales are going down pretty steeply.

Nintendo will release a new console next year there at least. I expect them to do so before this FY ends. And a redesign won't make people go out and buy a Wii. You cannot make it smaller and add everything you said they should. Will actually make it bigger, and let's be honest, Wii can't get smaller. The DVD drive already makes that impossible.
No one will care for inner sepcs like HD scaling. If people are playing the Wii in SD, why would they care if it upscaled or not? They don't care about installing software for faster load times, because it's not needed. Not even the HD's use the option that much and in their case it's more justified due to the amount of data that needs to be loaded.

I'm sorry but I don't think you are in a position to say for sure that people won't care about some features. But what I propose is, quite in the same logic as just say the DSi XL, an idea to use features in order to change consumers habit. Not just features for the sake of it like Sony and MS could do. But even if it's a terrible idea again you are certainly not in a position to say as well that Nintendo can't find a fantastic concept as they have already find many very unexpected ones in the past.

It is possible that Nintendo could release a system in 2011, but I don't think it is the most likely scenario, and I don't see them announcing the Wii's successor more than 12 months before releasing it.

I think the strategy of the 3DS announcement and release was to keep the time period where people "hold off" on buying your current generation system very limited, and to prevent it from impacting sales over the holiday shopping season. I could be wrong but I suspect that Nintendo (probably) was targeting a November release, and something delayed the release long enough to push the release too late in the holiday season to capitalize on the consumer-orgy and they were forced to push it back past the point where people’s finances have started to recover.

The reason this is important is that I don't believe that Nintendo would want two "new" systems fighting for attention in the same holiday season; and Nintendo would (probably) wait until 2012 to release the successor to the Wii.

With all that said, there is no reason why Nintendo has to release their next system in the middle of a holiday shopping season; and (to a certain extent) I think that the habit of releasing systems in Q4 may hurt sales. Hypothetically speaking, if the initial target for the 3DS was Q4 2010 and the initial target release date for the Wii-2 was Q4 2011, it is entirely possible that Nintendo would push the release of their system back to (late) Q2/(early) Q3 2012; and if I was them, I would announce it in Q1, demonstrate it at E3, and release it 4 to 6 weeks later.

gum said:
trestres said:
gum said:
trestres said:
gum said:

I'm sorry but I don't think you are in a position to say for sure that people won't care about some features. But what I propose is, in a very Nintendo way I think, idea to use features in order to change consumers habit. Not just featres for the sake of it like Sony and MS do. But even if it's a terrible idea again you are certainly not in a position to say as well that Nintendo can't find a fantastic one as they have already find many very unexpected ones in the past.

They have always redesigned their portables. It's more of an item of fashion, their redesigns were almost always aesthetic or to make the console smaller.

They have only redesigned the NES and the SNES, but both of them were launched after the new console had arriived, and there was room for making it smaller. Even then, they lost features instead of gaining new ones, so I don't actually see it happening for the Wii because:
Nintendo hasn't redesigned their last 2 home consoles and they were selling quite badly, so why didn't they do it if it would have been financially correct?
Nintendo can't make the Wii smaller, more energy efficient or reliable without taking away parts from it.
Nintendo released the NES and SNES redesigns AFTER the new gen consoles had arrived to get a few more sales from collectionists.
A redesigned Wii would just change it's exterior form, not affect the size. That's what limited editions and different colors are here for.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies