By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, Wii 2 announced this year?

Pavolink said:

trestres said:

Do you read what you write and what you quote? Look, let me help you: Right besides the word "small" there are two other naughty words that perhaps were hidden from your sight but I've found them. "Reliable" and "energy efficient" want to say hi.

So you want nintendo to make a console with 3D output, HD output, internal HDD, a new online infrastructure and different HW to be able to handle shaders... OK, you are basically asking for Wii 2 and contradicting the whole point of your argument. Good job, you saved me some writing.

So, the Xbox360 Slim and Ps3 Slim, most reliables and energy efficients consoles than the first ones are bigger.

And I didn't now that "?" means "and",instead of new redesign with 3D OR HD OR New Online OR Shaders.

None of the options you gave are possible without making a completely new piece of HW. I mean why add shaders but not HD output, 3D, Dolby Digital audio, etc? What's the point this late in the gen, do you think developers are going to even care about small graphical when they didn't even care about Wii having much more precise motion controls (motion plus)?? Plus it would be impossible without developing new hardware and sending new dev kits to all the third parties as well as having those games only work in the new systems in some cases.

Well, the online infraestructure is possible without new HW, but it doesn't require a redesign to work, so scratch that from the list.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Pavolink said:

3D? Better Online? HD? Capacity for some shaders effects like 3DS?

Ah, but will any of these actually be worth the redesign? Will these really attract more customers? 3D, numerous online features, High Definition, these are already done by competing consoles, I don't see how the Me to strategy will work for the Wii in this case. Suddenly going full support for new features - that competing consoles have had under their belts for years - with a redesign of the Wii does not seem like a smart move.

Those who care for these features likely already have another console to feed it to them. Nintendo can't just throw this out there expecting people to swipe it up, that particular market has already made their choice. If they hope to attract those customers they'll need software - the right software - to show off these glorious new features, and they need to be fresh, they need to be better than what is offered on alternate consoles, and that is simply not possible, not alone, and the Wii already has abysmal support from third party developers. The current Wii library does not support these features and I don't think they can build up a library supporting these that will make people think twice about buying another console, or get existing owners of alternate consoles to purchase this redesigned Wii. To shift strategies and effectively compete directly with the X360 and PS3 in their strongest fields, five years into the war does not sound like a good idea to me.

How technical is your game?

trestres said:

Lol, you attacked me with the "Iwata isn't in a hurry to pick you up". I just defended myself and that attack triggered my indifference towards your post. In fact you are posting the same stuff all over VGChartz in different threads and do not aknowledge when someone points out something that's wrong with your argument.

Your views aren't shared with Nintendo, if that wasn't clear enough from my post, not by forum goers (who BTW you degraded in your previous post) which make your views less credible. I think our arguemnt here is over since you have a way of debating where you and only you can be right, plus I'm not giving up on my ideas either. None of the points you brought up are strong enough for me to change my opinions, so we will simply see what goes on during the current year instead of endlessly discussing.

Not sure why this was posted. What is your point? What did this have to do with the previous dicussion?  Why can you not result to anything beyond personal attacks? Why have you not added anything new to your argument?

Smashchu2 said:
trestres said:

Lol, you attacked me with the "Iwata isn't in a hurry to pick you up". I just defended myself and that attack triggered my indifference towards your post. In fact you are posting the same stuff all over VGChartz in different threads and do not aknowledge when someone points out something that's wrong with your argument.

Your views aren't shared with Nintendo, if that wasn't clear enough from my post, not by forum goers (who BTW you degraded in your previous post) which make your views less credible. I think our arguemnt here is over since you have a way of debating where you and only you can be right, plus I'm not giving up on my ideas either. None of the points you brought up are strong enough for me to change my opinions, so we will simply see what goes on during the current year instead of endlessly discussing.

Not sure why this was posted. What is your point? What did this have to do with the previous dicussion?  Why can you not result to anything beyond personal attacks? Why have you not added anything new to your argument?

I've added a lot of points that you keep on dodging with "smart derailing" and keep trying to lure me into those. We've been already discussing this in other thread already. I don't feel like arguing with you about this topic in particular anymore. And I'm not attacking you, unless you feel attacked by the same kind of responses you gave to me in your previous posts.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

The Wii doesn't need a redesign people. That would be stupid and a waste of time.

Around the Network
Play4Fun said:

The Wii doesn't need a redesign people. That would be stupid and a waste of time.

It only depends on what Nintendo could add to it. The DS Lite didn't need one either but they still released DSi and DSi XL, which were very successful. I can't see why that would be stupid to follow a strategy that was successful for the DS, PS3, X360... for the Wii.

Whatever Iwata has said recently that many unannounced Wii games are in development right now so I think that pretty much confirms that Wii 2 won't be released in 2011. Why working on so many Wii projects if Wii 2 is just around the corner? DQX hasn't also been released yet and Square wouldn't be pleased to launch it on a dead platform. And yet Nintendo certainly needs to do something to help the sales of the Wii. A redesign is one of the solutions that certainly makes the more sense.

gum said:
Play4Fun said:

It only depends on what Nintendo could add to it. The DS Lite didn't need one either but they still released DSi and DSi XL, which were very successful. I can't see why that would be stupid to follow a strategy that was successful for the DS, PS3, X360... for the Wii.

Whatever Iwata has said recently that many unannounced Wii games are in development right now so I think that pretty much confirms that Wii 2 won't be released in 2011. Why working on so many Wii projects if Wii 2 is just around the corner? DQX hasn't also been released yet and Square wouldn't be pleased to launch it on a dead platform. And yet Nintendo certainly needs to do something to help the sales of the Wii. A redesign is one of the solutions that certainly makes the more sense.

You redesign to make it cheaper or more efficient to manufacture. Nintendo made a profit from day 1 so I don't see a need there.  It doesn't need any revisions. It's not huge or loud or failure prone.

They could add more onboard memory, maybe an HDMI port or something else that would be cool but fairly useless at this point.

All they really need to do is sell bundles and maybe different colours until the next system is released.

@trestres:"why is Nintendo releasing the 3DS if sales were still much higher than the Wii's ones. Do you consider the NGP to be competition for the 3DS?"

That's easy to answer, no need to be a master analyst: that's because the software sales were decreasing strongly and like I said few posts before that's what really matters to Nintendo and the reason why they don't need a Wii2 right now ass Nintendo software sales on the Wii are still amazingly good.

gum said:

@trestres:"why is Nintendo releasing the 3DS if sales were still much higher than the Wii's ones. Do you consider the NGP to be competition for the 3DS?"

That's easy to answer, no need to be a master analyst: that's because the software sales were decreasing strongly and like I said few posts before that's what really matters to Nintendo and the reason why they don't need a Wii2 right now ass Nintendo software sales on the Wii are still amazingly good.

Wii is not moving SW in Japan at all and neither moving HW. That's why I said that Japan should be the first place where the Wii should be launched. DS sold more HW and SW than the Wii by a big margin last year, even when it was known that a new portable was coming. Still then, Nintendo is killing a better source of income in Japan.

And Nintendo SW World Wide is decreasing overall. Last year it sold less software than in 2009, and we need to consider that they had 2 bundled games in 2010 vs 1 bundled game in 2009 and that the userbase was 17 million users bigger by the end of this year. So Wii is definitely on a downwards trend in SW. And the competition is seeing best 3rd party sales and also getting the majority (if not all) of the third party console games. If Nintendo wants to see better SW sales they need to, first of all, tackle the 3rd party issue. They can't do it on the current Wii, since it's already too late and most devs already moved away. With a new console things can change if they are approached now. If they wait again until next gen starts, then the next console will be dead on arrival in terms of third party support.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Play4Fun said:
gum said:
Play4Fun said:

You redesign to make it cheaper or more efficient to manufacture. Nintendo made a profit from day 1 so I don't see a need there.  It doesn't need any revisions. It's not huge or loud or failure prone.

They could add more onboard memory, maybe an HDMI port or something else that would be cool but fairly useless at this point.

All they really need to do is sell bundles and maybe different colours until the next system is released.

Of course they need a redesign: even if the hardware was perfect as it is (which it is not) they need to help the console to sell more they need it badly and redesign is a sure way to improve sales. Knowing Nintendo they certainly are going to release more than a cosmetic change but even if they were just doing that it still would help the sales a lot: I hope I don't have to explain you that design in itself  is a very strong  tool to sell products, we don't lack good examples to prove that I think.

I have some ideas about what they could do that would be more than a design change but even if I'm wrong even if none of us can find great new ideas that doesn't mean that Nintendo can't.

Here is my idea by the way but again even if you don't lil it or think that couldn't work for whatever reason that doesn't mean that Nintendo can't find a better one:

- very small and sold with a special case in which you can put the console, 4 wiimotes/nunchuks so that you can carry it very easily with you to play it at your friends home or wherever you want.

- Not GC backward compatible anymore so GC controllers ports can be removed.

- HD output to just upscale the games like Dolphin. Pikmin 3 announced to take advantage of this feature.

- Little HD Drive with Wii Sports, WSR and NSMBW preinstalled and enough space to install few more games.

- This revision launched in many different colours