By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

*Rare VS Retro*

Rare 107 35.20%

Retro 194 63.82%

Total:301
Boutros said:

I don't really want as I haven't played Metroid Prime enough to compare every aspects of the game with Goldeneye.

What I said and what I still believe is that Metroid Prime wouldn't have been the way it is without Goldeneye (mostly the FPS aspect). After the release of Goldeneye 007, Miyamoto actually wanted to make Ocarina of Time a FPS:

"Apparently prompted by a love of Rare's Nintendo 64 shooter GoldenEye, which is another of the three reasons to own a Nintendo 64, Miyamoto wanted to make OoT a first-person shooter too.

"I thought that the FPS system would be the best way of enabling players to take in the vast terrain of the Hyrule Field. Besides, by not having the player’s character on the screen, we can spend more time and machine power on creating enemies and the environments," said Miyamoto."

So it's no surprise that Metroid Prime went the FPS way.

That's why I said that Goldeneye was a major influence.

There are a lot of people out there who take offense every time someone calls Metroid Prime a FPS.

A lot of people.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

This is more or less a quantity or quality argument for me. The Prime series is better than anything I've ever played from Rare, but Rare has made quite a few great games.

My vote goes to Retro. Even though they have made far less games Metroid Prime just outshines Rare's greatest games.

@Khuutra

You cut me deep with what you said about Rare.  You really did.  But only because it is all true.  (I would quibble on a few points, but in general, you are right on.)

@milkyjoe

I couldn't agree more.  The fall of Rare is probably the saddest thing I've seen in this industry.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

RolStoppable said:
Xxain said:

Retro gets a tad to much praise. Its easy to take a already established IP and add to it

Lets see how they fair with a original IP

That's not easy to do at all. With an established IP you have to live up to insane expectations, doubly so with fan favorites like Metroid and Donkey Kong Country. Additionally, Metroid didn't even have a 3D outing at that time, so it was a huge achievement from an unknown developer to make it not only work, but one of the best games of the previous generation. Metroid Prime was comparable to Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

He still has a point though. I mean think of Banjo & Kazooie. Retro has yet to establish a comparable franchise.

Back in its day Rare would kick the crap out of Retro. But Retro now is waaay better.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:

@Khuutra

You cut me deep with what you said about Rare.  You really did.  But only because it is all true.  (I would quibble on a few points, but in general, you are right on.)

Believe me, most of it hurt to write.

Retro. Rare hasn't been Rare in quite some time. At it's peak Rare was better than Retro but currently Retro had a big edge. Retro consistently puts out quality games. Rare has been all over the place.

Xxain said:

Retro gets a tad to much praise. Its easy to take a already established IP and add to it

Lets see how they fair with a original IP

You OBVIOUSLY haven't played Metroid Prime on Gamecube. Therefore your statement is worthless.

It's hard to compare Rare was a much more intesive developer, they released at least 1 or 2 games every year.. I think Rare still wins in terms of importance and influence but Retro wins in terms of best game developed, Metroid Prime is one of the best games ever, but still Super Metroid is about as good if not better imo.

In their prime RareWARE was amazing and much better than Retro. Retro hasn't worked on as many games obviously so it's still too soon to judge fairly. I will say  none of Retro's games are better than the "worst good" Rareware game.

RARE on the other hand is complete shit and has released nothing but garbage and Retro is better than RARE.