By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Avinash_Tyagi said:
i'm cool with Wii coming in third in NA, since next week it may be first, and it still won WW, just goes to show that PS3 and 360 will never overtake the Wii

Er, dont be so sure about that, the WII though dropped 0,3% on VGchartz in marketshare but the PS3 on the other hand went up with over 1%

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

jj,

Just stop now, everyone knew from your first post what your agenda was. The question was clearly intended to be a cheap jab, despite the fact that you knew the reasons for the numbers and admitted it.

With your comments in this thread you have stopped just shy of outright admitting to trolling. Perhaps you should just do that and move on rather than denying it and acting all hurt.

Seriously, this "poor little me" defense fools nobody. And if anything shows that you're the one who can dish it but can't take it. Just leave the thread if you can't act civil.

I swear, this is why we can't have nice threads... 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Coca-Cola said:
Great strategy from Nintendo - holding back and creating excitement and desire for Wii. 600k in one day?
Great for PS3, for me at least, I'm planning to get PS3 when they drop the price next year - it might come soon enough. ($299?)
Great for X360 - this is the most sales I've seen for 360. I was looking for X360 Pro yesterday, and Best Buys, Walmart and Gamestop didn't have any - and no RockBand either. I think 360 will have another great numbers next week.

No it is not a great strategy. They needed to get as many out as soon as possible. Only reason they did this is because it is all they could do. Plenty of people have been frustrated and the longer they waited the more chance they were going to opt for something else instead. This past Saturday I witnessed a person give up and pick up a 360 Arcade instead of a Wii at Best Buy.  Told her that if she really wanted a Wii she could get in line early in the morning and she said she had it with that.   Told her the 360 was better choice anyway and enjoy it.  MSNBC had a story about Wii not being available a few weeks back and many people had already given up and purchased 360's and to a lessor extent the PS3. 

Sure 600-700K will look really impressive for the Wii this week, but you should see all system jump this week.  360 will probably be over 400K and PS3 approach 250K. Next week with just Sunday and Monday as pre-christmas will be down big time.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

*~Onna76~* said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
i'm cool with Wii coming in third in NA, since next week it may be first, and it still won WW, just goes to show that PS3 and 360 will never overtake the Wii

Er, dont be so sure about that, the WII though dropped 0,3% on VGchartz in marketshare but the PS3 on the other hand went up with over 1%

Good for them, however won't make a difference, if you trend the sales of PS3 and 360 and compare to the PSP you'll see that they will top out around 30-35 million each lifetime sales each, so its just not going to happen

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

jjseth said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I bet JJseth was jumping up and down at the Wii numbers until ioi came in

Ummm no. I didn't. I may have giggled softly to myself just to see what kind of reaction the Nintendo faithful would give and excuses why they sold less then both the 360 and PS3.

I don't really get joy in seeing Wii have poor sales, I get much more enjoyment out of seeing the meltdown of the Wii fanboys.

Your meltdowns are much more delicious. Deleted by moderator.

Around the Network

It's really nothing to worry about with Wii sales. I mean we knew there would be one week in December, other than the last one, that would have some pretty low Wii sales, so we were expecting this.

jjseth said:
CrashMan said:

Combine this with your previous post in this thread and I have to tell you, you are quickly passing leo-j as the PS3 fanboy with the most idiotic posts.

WHY would things be so divided between people buy 360s as holiday gifts and PS3s as holiday gifts?  You have to consider that the majority of console sales this time of year are being done so as gifts.  Why in the world would any one wait around and risk NOT getting the gift they intend to for their child/friend/spouse/etc.

Is this a sign of things to come for the Wii?  Are you serious?  Do you realy think that suddenly, people just don't want the Wii any more, and right at Christmas none the less.

THINK! think think think!

Lord and baby Jesus.

Hmmm so I'm a PS3 fanboy who also owns a 360?  I'm a technophile and really get behind the systems that offer the most bang, regardless of cost.   That's probably why I look forward to upgrading my computer every year to the newest, latest, and greatest out there.   Idiotic because I asked a open ended question on the low sales numbers of the Wii?  I wanted to get the general thinking of this site on why the sales were so low and threw out a hypothetical question.   Then again, with you passing Soriku as the Wii fanboy with the most.... oh heck, I won't go there, you can fill in the blanks.

I never said that the 360 would fall or do poorly in sales for the rest of xmas.  I expect them to pick up a few more sales this week as well as all of the consoles.   I really don't see any console less then 300k in America for the current week and know that the Wii will pick up sales as it was widely reported that stores were stockpiling Wii's for a big weekend sale.

In regards to why people wait, it's easy.  Deals.   If there was a supply issue (like the Wii) they wouldn't wait around.  But in the cases where there is plenty of stock, they may take their time to see if they get more BD movies, or a game for free or a gift card for a store by waiting till the last week.  That applies to both the 360 and PS3, but not the Wii because of it literally selling out this holiday season and they'd risk not getting the Wii if they waited around longer.

Also with the PS3 and 360 (premium and elite) being more expensive, some consumers may want to wait to hope they can hold off putting the purchase on their credit card till the last moment so they can save some interest on the purchase or wait another 20-30 days to pay on it depending on when their statement comes for their card.

Please point out some post of mine that illustrate my Nintendo fanboy status.  I am critical of individuals, not consoles.  I take issue with people's comments, not valid criticisms of a piece of hardware.  So please, by all means, illustrate my fanboy nature.

I didn't imply that you thought 360 would do poorly.  My point is, if all these justifications for low PS3 sales apply to the PS3, why wouldn't they apply to the 360.  Its not partidularly hard to find a 360, so your argument holds no water.  If that was the case the 360 would not have sold nearly the amount of the PS3 and Wii combined.

As for the credit card statement, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about and are grasping at straws.  Credit card interest is compounded monthly, so it wouldn't matter when in December they purchased the console.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

Well I saw this one coming :o)

*~Onna76~* said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

We should wait until February (after the Japanese January rush) to draw such conclusions.

Wii is the last now, not even the 3rd.
DS,PSP,PS3,X360 and PS2 surpass it.
I think it only beats GBA,GC & Xbox

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.