By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Yes 130 47.62%

No 94 34.43%

GIVE DEM A CHANCE! 40 14.65%

Not an FPS so I don't care :-) 9 3.30%

Total:273
Boutros said:
dystopia said:
Wagram said:
dystopia said:
Wagram said:
dystopia said:

Pretty good article there, and it's right in almost every way. As someone who grew up with Final Fantasy, the current situation the franchise is in is very sad. Frankly, I wish it would just go away at this point, which is hard to say, seeing as how much I loved FF when it was in it's prime. The fact of the matter is, most of the people who made FF special are no long with Square, and that paired with the extreme oversaturation of the franchise is what has ruined it.

I also grew up with the franchise but I don't feel the same way as you do.

I don't see how anyone that grew up with the early releases, and the PS1 releases could see the same magic in current Final Fantasy's. The changes in direction of the series has changed what FF is at it's core. For me FFX is where it started to go wrong. For one, the game featured in my opinion poor writing, specifically dialog, and the voice acting didn't help. In terms of gameplay it still was a very good game, but it was the beginning of the end for me.

FFXI, don't get me started on that. FFXII doesn't come off as FF to me at all, it's much more in tune with Vagrant Story, in terms of art style, mood, setting, and game mechanics. And don't get me wrong, Vagrant Story is a wonderful game, but it's not FF and the overall change in the combat mechanics from that point on has all but ruined what FF is to me.

And then there are all the spin-offs, it's getting out of hand. The oversaturation of the franchise is a real problem, and it is alienating a lot of previous fans like myself. The writing in these spin-offs, and lately even the main series titles (Aside from FFXII which was alright) has been awful, it's shallow and at a maturity level. clearly aimed at teenagers.

I probably will never look at FF the same way as I once did, and that's a shame because from the time I first played a Final Fantasy (FFVI) I was hooked, but they have forgotten where they came from, exiled their most important game designers, and basically creatively put all of their franchises in the hands of a few people, people like Tetsuya Nomura, whose game concepts are best left for childern.

I'm not afraid of change in a series. I tend to enjoy a more cinematic experience anyways.

Final Fantasy was always cinematic in a sense. Especially from the PS1 era onwards. The difference is at the core principles of gameplay. The overall change in the combat system from FFX onward. And even those I guess I could deal with. For me the most troubling problem is the writing, which I just find to be so so bad. The writing was never great, but the ability to craft an compelling narrative was there before, and now it's just not. The dialog was never outstanding, but it too has gotten worse.

Perhaps it's the current popular culture trends in Japan, and I understand many people find it compelling, but I want something more mature. The article this thread is built around is right that the tropes used in most of Square's series have failed to evolve, and they constantly fall into the same narrative traps. The sad part is, while many Western developed RPGs have begun to mature, the gameplay in them is a complete turn of for me in most cases, so I have found myself at a point where both Eastern and Western developed RPGs no longer capture me in some aspect, be it story and design or gameplay. It's not a fun place to be.

Methinks you're just being nostalgic.

The story in early FF's was as simplistic as it gets and unoriginal in general. Also, there were no voice acting back then and the dialogs weren't any better than they are now.

The franchise changed of course but not for the worse.

I'm not. That seems to be a common response for when someone doesn't like the new face of FF speaks out about it in relation to the older games in the series. It's not the case though, because I regularly replay older FF's, and I even attempt to play the newer games, and simply cannot like them. They are not the kind of JRPGs I like, they are completely different from the more traditional fair of the past. And while I agree that the dialog has at best been alright for FF over the years the overall story narrative and concepts have at times been very well done. Specifically FFVI-FFIX which in my personal opinion are the highlight games in the franchise. While yess, FFIV, V, X, and XII all have their strong points, they can't match up to the games I mentioned above.

I just wish that Square had not abandoned FF's core dynamics for worldwide fame, and instead kept the core of the mechanics and design together, like they have done with Dragon Quest.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Nuff said.

I never really played one Final Fantasy game in my life, I wanted to get into the series with 13 but after reading and experiancing the horrible characters and boring gameplay, I dont think i ever will......so im hoping Versus turns me out

Lyrikalstylez said:

I never really played one Final Fantasy game in my life, I wanted to get into the series with 13 but after reading and experiancing the horrible characters and boring gameplay, I dont think i ever will......so im hoping Versus turns me out

IMO XIII has the best cast of characters in the series.

I've not liked a single FF game, so the series has always been burnt out for me. However, in reality, it's got a decent amount of life left in it, SE just has to pull it together and declare FF7-14 non-canon and just go back to Nintendo and the Nintendo philosophy. Hell, they can stay HD and use the Nintendo philosophy: "If it isn't fun, it doesn't ship." And no, cut-scenes aren't fun. Neither is turn-based combat but that can slide for now.

Around the Network
SmoothCriminal said:

I've not liked a single FF game, so the series has always been burnt out for me. However, in reality, it's got a decent amount of life left in it, SE just has to pull it together and declare FF7-14 non-canon and just go back to Nintendo and the Nintendo philosophy. Hell, they can stay HD and use the Nintendo philosophy: "If it isn't fun, it doesn't ship." And no, cut-scenes aren't fun. Neither is turn-based combat but that can slide for now.

To me they are. :)

Wagram said:
SmoothCriminal said:

To me they are. :)

same here

Over 6 million in sales doesn't look burnt out to me, and i don't really care about the online FF games so if FFXIV was really bad, its irrelevant to me in terms of where the series is headed. A single player RPG is different from an MMORPG.

Wagram said:
2000cc said:

Well FF6 was my first FF and I liked it a lot, FF7 was ok but I couldn't understand the hype, nowhere near as good as 6 IMO, Then FF8 blew both of them away imo but voicing that opinion was about as popular as saying you had smallpox at the time.

Now have played every FF multiple times and my top 3 are 12,13 and 8 in that order (then 6, and I try to look as objectively as I can at 6 as I know in this series many never get past thinking their first played is 'the best' but I really cant justify any others above it in 4th place)

Being a literature fan, Personally I the series is getting better as the stories are getting more novel/cinema-like, and the constant gameplay changes, though all have their flaws in some places and none are perfect, keep the series fresh and interesting.

But the magic is contually growing for me, if it were not for this series I wouldn't be playing games, this series singlehandedly justifies the hobby for me. There are other good games out there without a doubt and I enjoy them a lot but I probably would have dropped the hobby long ago had it not been for FF's progression keeping me interested, especially with all the negativity that seems to be in gaming media these days (of which Mr Sterling here is one of the most negative), at times it can be as dismal a media to look at as political media.

You need to be on my friends list.

this guy noes whats good exactly right

LordTheNightKnight said:

Um, the Wii shovelware doesn't sell well for the most part, neither did Ninjabread Man.

And it's the fact that the sales are frontloaded that is the proof most gamers dind't enjoy FFXIII (same with Other M and Heavy Rain), while gamers like games like Red Dead Redemption, Just Dance (it's not shovelware just because some people don't like it), and even Epic Mickey.

People did like Heavy Rain and you're going to have to deal with that.