By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - In order to defeat 3DS, NGP has to be able to negate the software advantage

One system has ALL third party games and game publishers on it plus Mario, SSB, MarioKart, Pokemon, etc, the other has a select few western publishers, is missing huge western support and has Broken, Reality Fighters and Smart Ass, now you tell me who is more likely to win this fight? 

Around the Network

why does the NGP have to outsell the 3DS for it to be a success? 0.o

I really hope the actual launch lineup will include some exclusive third-party games.

A GTA and Call Of Duty is enough to make it sell in the Americas.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Brainslug said:

I'm not sure that NGP has any chance whatsoever of winning the sales race this time around either, neither company has really changed their approach, Nintendo has made a new system that will appeal to all the DS owners but might draw in more hardcore becuase of the greater graphics capability and the 3D.

NGP is a system that is exactly like the PSP but stronger, so it will appeal to the audience of the PSP but doesn't seem to have anything that will capture an expanded market. So best case scenario, it will have the same market share as the current PSP.

I just hope nobody is violently upset when NGP doesn't outsell the 3DS

Well said, exactly how I feel.

I see Sony making the same mistakes here that they did with PSP and PS3. Super powerful hardware but the pricepoints and graphics arent neccesarrily helping drive demand. The Wii and DS are both technically inferior yet dominate the market.

And I dont see how anyone really wants to become super invested 6-10 hour game in a handheld experience, they can do that on the console. I think portable/handheld is more leaning on the shorter smaller games of the iphone ilk where people can just play a bit for ten minutes and be done with it.

I'm going to admit, I don't, for any reason, expect the NGP to beat the 3DS in lifetme sales. Nor do I believe this is what really matters.

The PSP was Sony's first foray into hand-helds and it has been successful. Yes, they may have not "beat" the DS in lifetime sales, but the PSP more than made a profit for Sony. The "DS vs. PSP," "360 vs. PS3," "Wii vs, the world" and on are just fodder for those of us with too much information to argue with each other about. All that matters for private companies is whether they get a return on their investment and then some.

Furthermore, I don't expect the 3DS and NGP to sale higher than the DS and PSP. I expect their lifetime sales to be much lower. Why? Look at the context.

Back in 2004 and 2005 when the DS and PSP were released, it was 2 to 3 years before the first iPhone was released in 2007. Sure, the BlackBerry was the first "smartphone," but it was strictly for business while the iPhone was marketed towards a mass audience. In effect, Nintendo and Sony had 2 to 3 years to build up their playerbases to counter-act the onslaught of gaming on smartphones.

In 2011, Nintendo and Sony do not have the "no smartphone" advantage they did in the mid 2000s. For this reason alone, I fully believe both (3DS and NGP) will have lower lifetime sales than the DS and PSP.

If anything, what the NGP will do is assist smartphones in becoming the preferred hand-held gaming device. The NGP is both a legitimate hand-held and smartphone (Android capabilities). The NGP may not sell anywhere as high as the 3DS, but it will change expectations and change them drastically.

The NGP will flip the establishment thinking concerning hand-helds as strictly gaming on it's head and turn it out. People will think, why am I paying $250 for a single use device when Sony, Apple, Microsoft, Verizon and others are capable of satisfying both my gaming and communication needs?

Why pay $250 for a single use device and $40 to $50 per game when for $300 I have purchased both my hand-held gaming device and smartphone?

Why does Nintendo charge $40 to $50 game when my cousin with Sony's NGP can buy and download games via PSN on his NGP for $10 to $20?

Why are the Internet functions on the 3DS so backward compared to the NGP, iPhone, Android and Windows phone?

Questions like this will be asked and will change the expectations over time.

This is what the NGP will do, and I believe it is Sony's main counter-attack against Nintendo's assault on their 3D business with the 3DS.

Do people seriously not understand how epic 3D is going to be?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
dtewi said:

Do people seriously not understand how loved by casuals 3D is going to be?

fixed.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Screw defeating the 3DS, just give me good features and good games and I'll support it. I'd be ok with it ending up in the same marketshare position as the PSP... it's not all that terrible.

axt113 said:

Its games that sell a system, not hardware, so in order for NGP to have a chance against the 3DS, it has to be able to blunt the 3DS's software advantage, NSMB, Nintendogs, Pokemon, Mario Kart, and Brain age were the reason that DS triumphed so heavily over the PSP, most of those games will see a sequel on the 3DS, probably the biggest of which will be NSMB 3DS, so the question for Sony, is how are they going to deal with that, because unls they have an answer to that advantage, the result will be t same as the DS vs. PSP and Wii vs. PS3, with Nintendo outselling them by a huge margin

They can't deal with that. Sony ain't exactly a powerhouse in terms of game development. So make yourself profitable and wait for Nintendo to f*** up eventually.

miz1q2w3e said:

Why does every single person on this site feel the need to make one of these *what PSP2 needs* threads?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Nintendo's 20m sellers in 3D will win

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^