By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will 3DS limit PSP2?

Mr.Metralha said:

My poor thread.... :C

Derailed.

Bitches.

*sigh*

NO MAN! I'LL SAVE YOU!

Personally I think you're on the ball. However, we have yet to see the 3DS in action yet, so who knows how good it'll look in 3D? Same goes for PSP2, hopefully we'll find out tomorrow...

Point is also true for every gen (PS2 to GC, Wii to 360 to PS3 to PC  etc. ) Market leader gets the attention, so the games are made for it. Something now only developers are really latching onto. I wonder if they've learnt from their mistakes?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Perhaps it will but only because the 3DS will be the main system they target and the PSP2 will be the secondary system inspite of the performance differences. It'll be easier to start on the 3DS and then port up to the PSP2 due to the special requirements of the 3D screen. I will say only if the PSP2 starts to really sell that developers will make specificly high graphical games en-masse targetting the PSP2. However from the start most developers will be thinking of the 3DS and only the 3DS. Once phones develop the same specifications and performance you'll see a lot more games targetting both the PSP2 and iOS devices although I suspect they'll use more the touch screen than the physical controls.

Tease.

superchunk said:

Yes you are probably right. More than likely 3DS will be king and get the lion's share of the development, meaning PSP2 will get ports of 3DS games less the 3D and potentially only a handfull of other options in exchange. Therefore the PSP2 multiplat library will look good, but not as good as it would be possible IF those specs rumored turn out to be true.

However, I don't think that rumor is true and I think it will be dual core based and far closer to 3DS's power capabilities.

Though that really didn't happen with PSP and DS despite the DS's commanding marketshare

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
superchunk said:

Yes you are probably right. More than likely 3DS will be king and get the lion's share of the development, meaning PSP2 will get ports of 3DS games less the 3D and potentially only a handfull of other options in exchange. Therefore the PSP2 multiplat library will look good, but not as good as it would be possible IF those specs rumored turn out to be true.

However, I don't think that rumor is true and I think it will be dual core based and far closer to 3DS's power capabilities.

Though that really didn't happen with PSP and DS despite the DS's commanding marketshare

Yeah but like I said in the OP, this time 3DS isn't that behind of a PSP2. DS to PSP was a huge difference in graphics, from 3DS to PSP2 it might not be that huge since 3DS boost 3D and on such a small screen even if you have a system capable of pulling of real life like graphics, it will alwats look tiny and awkward.

If you imagine both consoles hooked up on a TV, now the difference is very noticeable, with 3DS looking like a Wii with shinny effects and PSP2 looking on par with HD twins.

Being portable matters too much on graphical fidelity.

We might have a 360/PS3 situation only in portable form. 3DS will probably be the cheaper of the two and be easier to make games for and they could always stick ports on PSP2, but IF Sony is smart they'll do what they've been doing with PS3 and not rely on 3rd parties so much and make their own games that will really show off the capabilities of PSP2, a Uncharted portable could do that

Around the Network

I don't think many developers will utilize the full rumored power of the PSP2... who's crazy enough to put millions of dollars in handheld games? I think a lot of developers will hold back because the ROI isn't worth it or maybe even negative...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

KylieDog said:

Yeah like Wii versions of multiplats hold back the HD ones?

Wii to PS360 is more like DS to PSP whereas 3DS to PSP2 (with rumored setup) is like PS2 to Xbox. Therefore, it makes more sense to make a 3DS game and port to the PSP2 just as Xbox/GC got all the ports from PS2.

KylieDog said:

Yeah like Wii versions of multiplats hold back the HD ones?

If there was only one HD console this gen, yes. But you've got two, and that changes everything.

If next gen consisted of 3 portables, of course the HD portables would share many games.

But even so, you've got examples such as Tales of Graces on PS3 and No More Heroes PS3. Those games aren't pushing PS3, they're rushed Wii ports.

You kidding me? 3DS isn't going to have graphics anywhere near the HD consoles. If anything the PSP2 will likely get a lot of good PS360 ports instead (that is if the rumors are true that it can have graphics on par with the PS3), the 3DS and PSP2 will have two different markets anyway so it's not going to matter. Kind of like the Wii against PS360.

Not gonna matter anyway IMO the PSP2 will get the handheld crown next gen.

I haven't seen anything on the 3ds that scream HD consoles to me. And, people are seriously thinking the PSP2 won't get support, you guys never learn. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)