By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will 3DS limit PSP2?

Gojimaster said:

I think we have a lot of big 'ifs' about the PSP2 so far.  Hopefully we find out more tomorrow at the rumored 'unveiling' of the PSP2.

I am very curious to see the launch line-up of PSP2.  I would imagine Sony is going to be the one that initially pushes the graphical boundries on the PSP2.  3rd parties might be more lazy with it do to cost issues and less sales on handhelds.  However, I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of ports and remakes on the PSP2 just like the 3DS is getting.

so the 3ds ports are going to be ported to the PSP2. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
mornelithe said:

PC's are actually 2 generations ahead (DX11 vs DX9).

PSP2 and the 3DS will both have plenty of exclusive titles, as both Nintendo and Sony dominate the industry with internal studios.  Both Sony and Nintendo have likely (and from reports that've been available for ages are), giving extremely advanced warning to all developers, so their internal and 3rd party devs will have a much better grasp of the internals than what was done, say, with the PS3.

And finally, as far as most consumers who've responded go, nobody gives a crap about 3D, it's just not what people are focusing on currently.  That having been said, it's their internal studios that will sell these items.  That, and their starting price tag.  If Sony can undercut Nintendo, that'll be a good start.

you sir are way off!

3D could be the system seller alone, imo.

But you're right, even Nintys 1st party hits would safe it alone.

Cameras --> 3D photos? 3d movies? 3D glassless?

That should be more than just gimmick.

ninty_shareholder64 said:
mornelithe said:

PSP2 and the 3DS will both have plenty of exclusive titles, as both Nintendo and Sony dominate the industry with internal studios.  Both Sony and Nintendo have likely (and from reports that've been available for ages are), giving extremely advanced warning to all developers, so their internal and 3rd party devs will have a much better grasp of the internals than what was done, say, with the PS3.

And finally, as far as most consumers who've responded go, nobody gives a crap about 3D, it's just not what people are focusing on currently.  That having been said, it's their internal studios that will sell these items.  That, and their starting price tag.  If Sony can undercut Nintendo, that'll be a good start.

you sir are way off!

Cameras --> 3D photos? 3d movies? 3D glassless?

That should be more than just gimmick.

mornelithe said:

you sir are way off!

Camera? 3d movies? 3D glassless?

Apparently you haven't been reading much.  I'm not knocking 3D, it's an intriguing bit of tech that's been available for....years and years.  However, the fact it's been available for years and years and still hasn't truly caught on in gaming, is pretty noteworthy.   As such, it's subject to the negative rhetoric that's been thrown around about 3D Gaming in general.

That having been said, you also clearly missed my entire point.  Neither system should suffer from the other, as they both have internal studios/IP that have strong core followings.   Coupled with the tremendous amount of first party support both platforms will enjoy.  As I said, neither should have problems with exclusive titles that will sell their product.

But yeah, I'm 'Way off...But I'm right'.  Nice coherent thought you had there.

mornelithe said:
mornelithe said:

you sir are way off!

Apparently you haven't been reading much.  I'm not knocking 3D, it's an intriguing bit of tech that's been available for....years and years.  However, the fact it's been available for years and years and still hasn't truly caught on in gaming, is pretty noteworthy.   As such, it's subject to the negative rhetoric that's been thrown around about 3D Gaming in general.

That having been said, you also clearly missed my entire point.  Neither system should suffer from the other, as they both have internal studios/IP that have strong core followings.   Coupled with the tremendous amount of first party support both platforms will enjoy.  As I said, neither should have problems with exclusive titles that will sell their product.

Thanks!

But i'm still thinking you underestimate GLASSLESS 3D.

That's all i wanted to say.

Everything else, i can agree.

Around the Network

Man this is getting out of hand, you've got Sony fans on one side and Nintendo fans on the other which is perfectly normal but some of the comments are ridiculous from both sides of the fence..

WE DON'T EVEN KNOW THE PSP2 SPECS!

Just wait a few more hours to fight ok?

What will truely determine the PSP fate is Japan and what will determine Japan will be big name franchises. 

The fact that the 3DS will be of similar power and the Nintendo brand, will make it even more difficult short of some massive exclusive (like Monster Hunter) or a massive failure the likes not seen since Virtual Boy on Nintendo's part. 

mornelithe said:
mornelithe said:

you sir are way off!

Thanks!

I honestly don't see it as the thing that will sell the device.  It may be glasseless, but it's still a gimmick.  And not necessarily one that's going to improve gameplay in any major way.   And considering Nintendo's corner of the market, a $300 pricetag, is pretty steep for parents buying their kids this thing.  No, I'm not saying there aren't any adults who play it, but even Nintendo has stated their core group is the younger crowd.

Either way, as I said, both companies have huge internal teams.  There will be no shortage of devs taking full advantage of the specs either machine has to offer.   We've suffered through the laziness of 3rd party devs, so we know we can probably expect more of the same from them.  But, the internal studios are really the ones who sell these machines, not the 3rd parties.

NoirSon said:

What will truely determine the PSP fate is Japan and what will determine Japan will be big name franchises.

The fact that the 3DS will be of similar power and the Nintendo brand, will make it even more difficult short of some massive exclusive (like Monster Hunter) or a massive failure the likes not seen since Virtual Boy on Nintendo's part.

I think Japan is gone for Sony. What makes the PSP succesfull in Japan is monster hunter, and Capcom won't miss the opportunity to put it in 3D, thats for sure.

mornelithe said:
mornelithe said:
mornelithe said:

you sir are way off!

Thanks!

I honestly don't see it as the thing that will sell the device.  It may be glasseless, but it's still a gimmick.  And not necessarily one that's going to improve gameplay in any major way.   And considering Nintendo's corner of the market, a $300 pricetag, is pretty steep for parents buying their kids this thing.  No, I'm not saying there aren't any adults who play it, but even Nintendo has stated their core group is the younger crowd.

Either way, as I said, both companies have huge internal teams.  There will be no shortage of devs taking full advantage of the specs either machine has to offer.   We've suffered through the laziness of 3rd party devs, so we know we can probably expect more of the same from them.  But, the internal studios are really the ones who sell these machines, not the 3rd parties.

The 3DS doesn't cost $300. 

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D