By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can Egyptians do it?

sad.man.loves.vgc said:

3:00 a.m they cut electricity supply to big areas in Cairo. 10 dead people so far and over 600 people were arrested..

Metro stations stopped yesterday.

Facebook and twitter were blocked/unblocked several times today, Mobinil, vodafone and etisalat ,companys that provides cell phone coverage, was forced to stop their services in several areas.

Aljazzera reporters were arrested and media blockage continues.

Religifags (fuck those) continue to tell people to stay home and how it is HARAM to go against the authority and that Mohammed told them not to.

this picture is from yesterday.. Cairo never looked so beautiful.

You are wrong. Most of them are saying that you should go againest the authority because it's a bad one.

And Mohammed didn't tell us that we have to follow the government on what ever they do. He told us if they doing something not good we should go againest them. So please don't say something you don't know about.

Around the Network

This thing is freaking huge. We all know of the attempts of revolution in Iran, the (failed) student uprisings there, but to actually witness a (a hopefully democratic, but nevertheless a) revolution in the Arab world! This could become almost as big as the fall of communism in Eastern Europe.

So exciting.

Rath said:
ssj12 said:
mrstickball said:

Fully mixed feelings.

On one end, Egypt was a pretty benevolent dictatorship. Honsi Mubarak was certainly imperfect, but given his peers in the region, he looked like a saint: Made peace with Israel, never attacked anyone, never let the terrorists have their way in the region, and is generally (in my view) 'good'.

On the other end...It was still an authoritarian government, which likely was not the will of the people.

I worry what will become of this. I pray to God that if there is a revolution, they get a secular, Turkey-like Democracy that will strengthen ties with the west, and let people live in peace, and be very moderate to liberal for a Muslim-dominated state.

However, it seems that revolutions in the middle east are rarely a good thing :-

Worst yet, they are second or third in terms of US military support and aid. I would hate to see their M1 tanks turn on Israel, Turkey or other sane powers in the region.

1. Why is that a good thing?

Peace with Israel is the only long term hope for a stable Middle-East. Both the Arabs and Israel are going to be around for quite a long time.

2. Why is that a bad thing?

I'd hope that would be obvious. Also the Egyptians wouldn't stand a chance.

Pretty much that. I'd like to see a co-habitative Middle East where Jews and Muslims aren't always at eachother's throats. If Egypt attacked Israel, you'd see a lot of death, ending with Egypt losing again.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Oh no! The Egyptians might take control of their own future rather than be lackeys of the US. Shock horror, they are going to become independant like Iran. Can't have that. They must remain subserviant to the Western Elite interests so let's get our secret services involved, work with the elitist minority of the country and destroy the burgeoning democratic movement like has been done (mostly) successfully for the last few decades in the region and around the world.

Democracy only if it's in our interets right?

Badassbab said:

Oh no! The Egyptians might take control of their own future rather than be lackeys of the US. Shock horror, they are going to become independant like Iran. Can't have that. They must remain subserviant to the Western Elite interests so let's get our secret services involved, work with the elitist minority of the country and destroy the burgeoning democratic movement like has been done (mostly) successfully for the last few decades in the region and around the world.

"independant like Iran" - I stopped reading at that point.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network
bmmb1 said:
Badassbab said:

Like I care. You just want countries to remain subservient to US power. When I said independant I meant of the US orbit. Of course that couldn't possibly enter your psyche fed on a diet of Corporate media with narrowrily defined interests and debate which works on the assumption the US rules the world.

bmmb1 said:
Badassbab said:

Why do you take issue with that comment?

Note: I am not saying he's right or wrong, I just want to know your personal stance on this.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Badassbab said:
bmmb1 said:
Badassbab said:

Like I care. You just want countries to remain subservient to US power. When I said independant I meant of the US orbit. Of course that couldn't possibly enter your psyche fed on a diet of Corporate media with narrowrily defined interests and debate which works on the assumption the US rules the world.

Haha you should very much care. You are so blind in your hate of the US that you think anything that is independent of that is good. I guess then you think all psychopaths should be in the streets as well and independent? No? Actually contrary to my profile I am not from the US (I put US at the time because I have a US Wii), nor have I been successfully brainwashed by anything or anybody, all my conclusions have been based on listenting to many different points of view. I believe in live and let live, and that is where my problem with Iran comes from - they don't. Iran's rulers believe in and practice the Jihad, and sooner or later their "independence" will bite you,me and everybody else in the ass (unless you subscribe to their way of life).

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:
Badassbab said:
bmmb1 said:
Badassbab said:

Haha you should very much care. You are so blind in your hate of the US that you think anything that is independent of that is good. I guess then you think all psychopaths should be in the streets as well and independent? No? Actually contrary to my profile I am not from the US (I put US at the time because I have a US Wii), nor have I been successfully brainwashed by anything or anybody, all my conclusions have been based on listenting to many different points of view. I believe in live and let live, and that is where my problem with Iran comes from - they don't. Iran's rulers believe in and practice the Jihad, and sooner or later their "independence" will bite you,me and everybody else in the ass (unless you subscribe to their way of life).

Typical argument to make. If one welcomes challange to a narrow elite sector of the US then mudslinging is brought into the equation and it's called hatred of the US. I do hate oppression and elitism in all forms whether Iran or the US. And do I look like I'm equating the popular grass roots struggle in Egypt with pyschopaths? No that's you. Because in your racist world view Arabs are all crazy pychopaths who need to be controlled.

And are you seriously blaming Iran as the only country that oppresses it's people (and presumably other people though it's not clear who). When did your hatred of Iran start? After the major propaganda effort by the corporate media over the last few years (once Iraq was destroyed) to demonise it? You've just fallen into that basic trap again. Do you have any idea of the power structure of the world? Because if you did you wouldn't be making laugable statements such as a jihadist Iran biting us in the ass. PMSL. And I don't see Iran invading and occupying other countires. In fact they haven't attacked another in country for centuries. If anything they are the ones under threat. Massive threat.

You need to get off your imperialist high horse and realise you have no right to tell people in other countries what to do with their resources and how to run their own internal and external affairs. Reading and listening to a wide range of viewpoints yeah right.

Badassbab said:
bmmb1 said:
Badassbab said:
bmmb1 said:
Badassbab said:

Typical argument to make. If one welcomes challange to a narrow elite sector of the US then mudslinging is brought into the equation and it's called hatred of the US. I do hate oppression and elitism in all forms whether Iran or the US. And do I look like I'm equating the popular grass roots struggle in Egypt with pyschopaths? No that's you. Because in your racist world view Arabs are all crazy pychopaths who need to be controlled.

And are you seriously blaming Iran as the only country that oppresses it's people (and presumably other people though it's not clear who). When did your hatred of Iran start? After the major propaganda effort by the corporate media over the last few years (once Iraq was destroyed) to demonise it? You've just fallen into that basic trap again. Do you have any idea of the power structure of the world? Because if you did you wouldn't be making laugable statements such as a jihadist Iran biting us in the ass. PMSL. And I don't see Iran invading and occupying other countires. In fact they haven't attacked another in country for centuries. If anything they are the ones under threat. Massive threat.

You need to get off your imperialist high horse and realise you have no right to tell people in other countries what to do with their resources and how to run their own internal and external affairs. Reading and listening to a wide range of viewpoints yeah right.

"I do hate oppression and elitism in all forms whether Iran or the US" - no you obviously don't hate Iran, reading what you wrote further on you are either totally brainwashed, very innocent, or one way or the other in their allegiance. And please don't put words in my mouth, I didn't equate the protesters in Egypt with psychopaths, I equate the Iranian regime with psychopaths. You must be right, Iran is the one under a massive threat and is keeping to itself - I guess organizations like hezbollah are just grassroots movement with no connection to Iran... We'll have to agree to utterly, completely disagree.

"Reading and listening to a wide range of viewpoints yeah right." - of course I couldn't have done that, because anyone who would listen to a lot of different viewpoints would of course arrive to your way of viewing things, right.