By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else think the 3DS price will drop quickly?

What if 3DS is the start of the massive success and future for Glasses 3D?

You're talking about mainstream people right? The ones who really dont check out video game sites like us.

Here's what i think of this.

If the 3DS was announced and it was NOT glassless 3D and instead was the traditional 3D with Glasses, I personally think it would never reach the success of the DS as in reaching over 100 MIl Lifetime. Not saying that not selling 100Mil is a failure, but Nintendo would like to exceed DS sales and print money as usual. That is when I would consider the 3DS dropping the price quickly because the mainstream just got tired of 3D and if it was Glasses 3D, it would hardly bring anything new to 3D regardless of it being a portable device.

But the catch here is that the 3DS is Glassless 3D. So far there hasn't been a product in the hands of consumers that can produce Glassless 3D. From personal obversations, I've explained to a few of my friends who are gamers but dont check internet sites, etc (They just buy when they see the game on shelves so they dont exactly have prior knowledge) about the 3DS and they've heard of it before and they think it's really cool to finally see Glassless 3D as it's the first of it's kind. So I asked them then if they would be willing to fork over $350 AU (Esitmated but close to final AU$ price) for the handheld and out of the 4 friends, all of them said yes. Obviously it's a very small sample and not enough to base anything, but from that I have a bit of an idea of how some mainstream people think of the 3DS and it's price.

And once Nintendo really pushes the 3DS marketing and people see that the 3DS is capable of producing Glassless 3D effects, I think people would go and buy it regardless if it's $250 at launch or something. The one thing I've learned from Kinect's success so far is that mainstream consumers will buy the product if it's something new and reasonable regardless of price. I like many people suspected that Kinect wouldn't be a booming success due to it's hefty $150 price tag and without even a price cut or anything, it's reached 7 Mil with ease within 2 Months. Why? Most probably because it was something new in the eyes of mainstream consumers and with the help of MS's big marketing, it got the word around that Kinect was coming and it is a controller free gaming experience.

What Im saying is that Nintendo definitely will have a big marketing for the 3DS and even if the 3DS is priced $250 at launch, as long as the consumers see that the 3DS is a handheld made for 3D Glassless gaming AND movies, I reckon many would find the price justified. Plus Nintendo has Mario and whole lot of other major world reknown franchises and characters coming to the 3DS not only at launch but in future as well so the games are there to back up the reasoning for 3D Glassless Gaming.

And I think you know as well that Nintendo is ridiculously good at making effective ads on TV and elsewhere.

The 3DS in my eyes is THE next big thing and will be the start of the future for Glassless 3D for all entertainment. People wouldn't justify a $250 price if it was Glass enabled 3D gaming but Glassless is completelying different and it won't die out so easily.

So far the only thing I can see that could potentially affect the 3DS sales is the Health issues invovled.

What if parents find out that their children have some kind of eye problem due to playing too much 3DS with 3D on? What if there are multiple cases of this and continues to grow? If word gets out that the 3DS will cause these problems, then maybe the mainstream will have to think twice before buying it. Not that it will happen but you cant deny that eye problems could occur, more so that any other console.

Around the Network

Reggie said

"the focus Group Members where almost unanimous in saying that Nintendo 3DS was worth between $300-$400 because of what it has to offer"

you should be glad that it isn't $400USD

people that says $250USD is to expensive are tight asses lol

I doubt it. This is Nintendo after all.

It may in Europe a little, since Nintendo's set flexible pricing there, but not in the US.

Worse, I think the $249 pricpoint is going to mean Sony feels they have more breathing room for PSP2 and probably set a $299 price ($349 for whatever "value" bundle they'll allocate to 80% of units too).

I'm also afraid for Wii 2 pricing now.  $299 seems likely if it's PS3-plus spec imo.

250$ is expansive but I don't see the problem. The system at launch will sell for sure, then it succes, and the reason the keep the price high, will be sustained by quality software or by hardware revisions, in other cases the price will gradually drop. Anyway I don't think that the 250$ price tag at launch will hurt Nintendo, as for me it is high but I will still buy it, when the software I'm interested in will come out.

Around the Network
Red4ADevil said:

Maybe within a year; or 18 months if Moore's Law is applied. Its only natural that they will release the first revision within that time or in two years. If they want to get people to buy 3DS, then a price drop would help them greatly; but that will only be possible if the price of the technology goes down.

I agree about 18 months, it shouldn't need any cut before Autumn 2012.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Nintendo is achored not in 3d

They are anchored to crazy selling franchises.

About the 3D visuals, I am intrigued at the game play possibilities 

How 3D will enhance FPS puzzle and platformers.  

LordTheNightKnight said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Christian973 said:

I really don't understand what's the big deal with the price. The PSP and Wii launched at this price. What's the problem? Nintendo is being generous pricing it at 249.99 when they could have gone for way more and for what you're getting in the 3DS, $250 is a steal in my opinion.

More people need to read this

Personally, I would love it to be cheaper, or better yet free! :D - - - - - but honestly, I think $249.99 is a pretty suitable price considering galsses-less 3D , more horsepower and most importantly, *demand*

You'd hear no arguments from me if they felt like making it $199.99 though :X

The Wii was NOT sold at that price. The Wii AND Wii Sports was. Sorry for the allcaps, but that fact cannot be ignored, especially since the system sold better in regions with it bundled than without.

And the Wii is also generally one system per household. Handhelds are expected to be owned by more, which is why they cost so little in the past compared to the home systems.

@bolded: Technically yes, but are you really arguing that WS has that much value? - It's a very small game with very little content, I'd argue that It has the same value as all the software that comes with the 3DS - - There's that "Face Raiders" shooter game, AR stuff...etc - - - - You do have a point though - to most people, a game is a game

@the second paragraph: Yeah, I agree with you there - - - The thing is, the demand seems to be so high that they'd be stupid not to take advantage of it. Remember what people were saying about the Wii back when there were constant shortages? Nintendo could've charged a higher price at the beginning and then cut it later on - It looks like they thought this one through

miz1q2w3e said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Christian973 said:

I really don't understand what's the big deal with the price. The PSP and Wii launched at this price. What's the problem? Nintendo is being generous pricing it at 249.99 when they could have gone for way more and for what you're getting in the 3DS, $250 is a steal in my opinion.

More people need to read this

Personally, I would love it to be cheaper, or better yet free! :D - - - - - but honestly, I think $249.99 is a pretty suitable price considering galsses-less 3D , more horsepower and most importantly, *demand*

You'd hear no arguments from me if they felt like making it $199.99 though :X

The Wii was NOT sold at that price. The Wii AND Wii Sports was. Sorry for the allcaps, but that fact cannot be ignored, especially since the system sold better in regions with it bundled than without.

And the Wii is also generally one system per household. Handhelds are expected to be owned by more, which is why they cost so little in the past compared to the home systems.

@bolded: Technically yes, but are you really arguing that WS has that much value? - It's a very small game with very little content, I'd argue that It has the same value as all the software that comes with the 3DS - - There's that "Face Raiders" shooter game, AR stuff...etc - - - - You do have a point though - to most people, a game is a game

@the second paragraph: Yeah, I agree with you there - - - The thing is, the demand seems to be so high that they'd be stupid not to take advantage of it. Remember what people were saying about the Wii back when there were constant shortages? Nintendo could've charged a higher price at the beginning and then cut it later on - It looks like they thought this one through

1. Just because a lot of you don't think it's that much doesn't mean it doesn't. The content is about half a dozen arcade style games. Just because they don't have all the features of home games of those types does not make them games with little content. So Wii Sports DOES have that much value, because the mainstream doesn't think you need things like season games and rosters.

2. That seems to justify my point, that Nintendo might be using this to take advantage of initial demand, and then drop the price later.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

leatherhat said:

Depends on how it sells- no point in dropping price if its selling well

very true, and knowing Nintendo it could sell well....however, imo I think that Nintendo will be disappointed with the sales in the first six months and will prob lower it soon after or for the Christmas season

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.