By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Extra Credits: Piracy

[Source [The Escapist]

These guys always make great rants and this seems like a relevant one for the day:

-edit-

Added source because sometimes video works, sometimes it doesn't.  It's probably South Dakota's fault.

Around the Network

damn comming for you I was afraid of what i'd hear, but it's a good video, sound arguments.

I loled at:

"Do not tangle with the kind of people who instal linux on their playstations"

I mean really, it's so true....

on a side note, while I agree that the i'm too poor argument is a very bad one and that games are just a luxury, i have to disagree on the game isn't worth the money.... How can you justify a 100M budget game like GTA4 that last hours and hours of quality gameplay to be the same price as ninjabread man (or whatever that was called)? I had a real issue with game prices in France... then I started importing from the UK, where the prices are 1/2 or lower.... I believe the price doesn't match the demand in many countries and that is a big effect to piracy. Just look at nintendo games... they start out cheaper than HD ones and stay at their release price for a much longer time too... it's just that they are at a more customer complient price. Steam's sucess is also an other proof of that... heck I even bought old games I already had because it's less of a hassle to have it on steam ^^.

oh well that was my rant.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:

damn comming for you I was afraid of what i'd hear, but it's a good video, sound arguments.

I loled at:

on a side note, while I agree that the i'm too poor argument is a very bad one and that games are just a luxury, i have to disagree on the game isn't worth the money.... How can you justify a 100M budget game like GTA4 that last hours and hours of quality gameplay to be the same price as ninjabread man (or whatever that was called)? I had a real issue with game prices in France... then I started importing from the UK, where the prices are 1/2 or lower.... I believe the price doesn't match the demand in many countries and that is a big effect to piracy. Just look at nintendo games... they start out cheaper than HD ones and stay at their release price for a much longer time too... it's just that they are at a more customer complient price. Steam's sucess is also an other proof of that... heck I even bought old games I already had because it's less of a hassle to have it on steam ^^.

Well, NinjaBreadMan and the likes generally aren't full priced games and those discount games have their places.

My sister who has three young children and they all love games.  They love them so much that they can go through them fairly quickly.  They're also at that age where they don't really know a good game or a bad game, they just know they like seeing the little guy jump around the screen.  Finally, they're also at that age where the same thing over and over and over isn't going to keep them enterained for the longest time.

Now, because of what people call shovelware, my syster can buy her kids more games for less money.  Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Ninja Bread Man will both keep the kids entertained the same amount of time but one of those costs a lot less money.

Just because you don't like it or the fact that it is in fact terrible doesn't make it worthless.  Besides, if it were truly worthless then just don't buy it.  Pirating it shows deman, not buying it shows you don't want it.

That was amazingly sensible for a topic that is so divisive. Good video.

I would have liked to hear their take on DLC though.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:

That was amazingly sensible for a topic that is so divisive. Good video.

Yeah, I highly suggest people take a day and watch all his videos, they're all really well done.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Hephaestos said:

I loled at:

Well, NinjaBreadMan and the likes generally aren't full priced games and those discount games have their places.

My sister who has three young children and they all love games.  They love them so much that they can go through them fairly quickly.  They're also at that age where they don't really know a good game or a bad game, they just know they like seeing the little guy jump around the screen.  Finally, they're also at that age where the same thing over and over and over isn't going to keep them enterained for the longest time.

Now, because of what people call shovelware, my syster can buy her kids more games for less money.  Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Ninja Bread Man will both keep the kids entertained the same amount of time but one of those costs a lot less money.

Just because you don't like it or the fact that it is in fact terrible doesn't make it worthless.  Besides, if it were truly worthless then just don't buy it.  Pirating it shows deman, not buying it shows you don't want it.

wrong word..

Worth less

not

Worthless =)

you got most of my point... I did indeed say there was demand, as you gave an examples of your nefews and nieces, just that the price was not matching it. ( as an example, I strongly believe that the Iphone games work so well due to the low pricing model, which fits the fact thay they are indeed worth less than the average console/portable game)

In a sence you have similar arguments... as you say your sister is able to buy games for less money. This is similar to when I said I bought from the UK where the price is 1/2..... I had started buying second hand in france (which in my eyes is the same as piracy as the devs get 0... though I bought from ebay and not stores... which is even less money reinfused in the industry ^^), and probably would have ended up modding the console if I didn't have this legal alternative of importing (that last part is where our opinion on the subject differs :p) (for handhelds I was importing from the US... which too is 1/2 french price...).

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

All the Extra Credits videos are worth watching. Every time I see a new one, I think 'but surely they'll take a bad position on this?' and they always surprise me in being fair and rational.

If all game devs thought like that we would have a much better experience.

I agree with Soleron. These guys are pretty impressive. A lot of well known internet ranters (e.g. Foamy the Squirell, Maddox etc) usually rely on insults and swearing. Their points may be valid, but they are so acerbic. On the other hand, these fine people really took the time to elaborate on their points and carefully construct sound, logical arguments. They just gained a viewer.

Nintendology said:

I agree with Soleron. These guys are pretty impressive. A lot of well known internet ranters (e.g. Foamy the Squirell, Maddox etc) usually rely on insults and swearing. Their points may be valid, but they are so acerbic. On the other hand, these fine people really took the time to elaborate on their points and carefully construct sound, logical arguments. They just gained a viewer.

Seems like Foamy is more focused on the sexuality of the female character now. I remember watching it years ago versus seeing a new episode last week. It just wasn't the same.

Anyway, this Extra Credits video was a good watch and they've been pretty informative.

Didn't know he is now on escapist. I saw 4 videos on screwattack.