By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's next move in the fight against piracy, we all knew it'd come to this

Well I have no problem if the key is linked to my PSN account. That way I can replace my PS3 as many times as I like (when upgrading models) and in theory this should still work

If it is hardware based checks that would be annoying as you never know how many PS3s you can go through in your life time. I went through 4 PS2s. 

Around the Network
dsister said:
poroporo said:

Most likely.

So obviously FPS fans do enjoy SP campaigns ;)

Actually, they can play online on the 360. They don't risk being banned (much) except if they hack/cheat.

Please do note that I'm talking about a few months ago, I don't know what it is that the latest XBL update did.

poroporo said:
dsister said:
poroporo said:

Most likely.

So obviously FPS fans do enjoy SP campaigns ;)

Actually, they can play online on the 360. They don't risk being banned (much) except if they hack/cheat.

Please do note that I'm talking about a few months ago, I don't know what it is that the latest XBL update did.

You will get banned for playing online with a copied game, even with the latest firmwares as shown by the recent update that stopped people connecting online with Black OPs and Reach.  You don't get banned individually though so you might get flagged one day for playing online than banned enmasse every few months.

Squilliam said:
DonFerrari said:
Squilliam said:

If you got robbed because you left the front door key under the mat then your insurance company probably won't pay out because they'd consider your lax security to be the cause for your own misfortune. I.E. you didn't take reasonable steps protect yourself from harm. Sony is the one people should blame for the negative effects from the PS3 getting hacked. Hackers will always be hackers, robbers will always exist, but people are still at least required to take reasonable steps to keep themselves away from harm.

So the last console to be hacked left it well open and easy to rob and it's Sony's fault not the hackers??? interesting point of view.

Last console to be hacked? Well they only took 6-12 months from when they seriously started trying to hack it. Linux just prevented people from wanting to make a serious attempt. No console this generation is as open as the PS3. Sure Wii hackers can get around Wii security, Xbox 360 hackers have to hunt high and low for an unupdated pre Falcon revision box but PS3 hackers can sign code as if they were Sony themselves. So how the hell can you not blame Sony when the PS3 is the most owned console in the history of owned consoles from the perspective of hackers.

Of course is Sony fault... the Hackers didn't do anything, it's their right to Hack and Sony fault to be hackable... I get your point...

So if you don't buy the most expensive and sofisticated Security System to your house and you get robbed and i were your insurrance company i would say it's your fault and don't pay? I like it, maybe you won't if it evers happen to you. Of course i don't want it to happen...

And about Linux, so Hackers are just cry baby that can't stand Linux not present in a console? Don't saw any Linux on X360 and Wii so you fail... people do things for their own benefit, money or prestigue... don't try to defend them, there are people who really want homebrew (altough i don't see the utility) but most want glory and piracy...

And if having Linux were enough to prevent hacking there wouldn't ever be a computer hacked... so much failed attempts to defend the hackers... stop the excuses.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Squilliam said:

Last console to be hacked? Well they only took 6-12 months from when they seriously started trying to hack it. Linux just prevented people from wanting to make a serious attempt. No console this generation is as open as the PS3. Sure Wii hackers can get around Wii security, Xbox 360 hackers have to hunt high and low for an unupdated pre Falcon revision box but PS3 hackers can sign code as if they were Sony themselves. So how the hell can you not blame Sony when the PS3 is the most owned console in the history of owned consoles from the perspective of hackers.

Of course is Sony fault... the Hackers didn't do anything, it's their right to Hack and Sony fault to be hackable... I get your point...

So if you don't buy the most expensive and sofisticated Security System to your house and you get robbed and i were your insurrance company i would say it's your fault and don't pay? I like it, maybe you won't if it evers happen to you. Of course i don't want it to happen...

And about Linux, so Hackers are just cry baby that can't stand Linux not present in a console? Don't saw any Linux on X360 and Wii so you fail... people do things for their own benefit, money or prestigue... don't try to defend them, there are people who really want homebrew (altough i don't see the utility) but most want glory and piracy...

And if having Linux were enough to prevent hacking there wouldn't ever be a computer hacked... so much failed attempts to defend the hackers... stop the excuses.

Hackers have every right to hack a system they own. You may not like it, but it is their right. It really is no different to your replacing the ECU in your car or modifying it. The car manufacturers rights only go as far as no liability if it screws up the system and no warranty support. The hackers are no more responsible for how people use the information they gather than people who make guns are responsible for how the end user uses them.

Why should I care about Sony? Why should you? Why do you sit at your computer trying to defend a company which doesn't give a crap about you personally? Complaining about pirates and hackers does as much good as complaining about game prices and how the whole industry just produces 'casual crap' or whatever specific issue you want to specifically complain about.

P.S. The hacking only started once Linux was removed. If they hadn't removed Linux they wouldn't have bothered trying to open up the system.

Tease.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Wow... you fail O.o 

1. The 360 isn't hacked perse. The disc drive is tricked into thinking that the disc is legitimate.

2. The 360 was hacked into running linux at one point. It's a Jtag'd console. MS was actually smart enough to stop the hacks in a way that wouldn't get on it's legit customer's nerves...

3. There is Linux on Wii.

4. Guess what? :o The team that found both the PSP and PS3 master key only did it because of the lack of Linux. If Sony kept Linux the PS3 would of either taken a lot longer to hack or wouldn't of been hacked like this to begin with... Yes, you would have had the people playing backups and Geohot's original useless hack but you wouldn't have had all these people with the PS3 master code...

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

dsister said:
DonFerrari said:

Wow... you fail O.o 

1. The 360 isn't hacked perse. The disc drive is tricked into thinking that the disc is legitimate.

2. The 360 was hacked into running linux at one point. It's a Jtag'd console. MS was actually smart enough to stop the hacks in a way that wouldn't get on it's legit customer's nerves...

4. Guess what? :o The team that found both the PSP and PS3 master key only did it because of the lack of Linux. If Sony kept Linux the PS3 would of either taken a lot longer to hack or wouldn't of been hacked like this to begin with... Yes, you would have had the people playing backups and Geohot's original useless hack but you wouldn't have had all these people with the PS3 master code...

http://gamercrave.com/ps3-hacker-geohot-on-lost-linux-support-im-sorry/2349/

If Geohot had kept his mouth shut, people with fat PS3s would still have linux. In my book, he's an asshole. Not only that, but he had the nerve to release the master key, essentially dooming the PS3 to an era of easy piracy.

poroporo said:
dsister said:
DonFerrari said:

Wow... you fail O.o

If Geohot had kept his mouth shut, people with fat PS3s would still have linux. In my book, he's an asshole. Not only that, but he had the nerve to release the master key, essentially dooming the PS3 to an era of easy piracy.

Pretty much. I'd beat the fucker up if I saw him, nothing good came out of his hacking.

Xen said:
poroporo said:
dsister said:
DonFerrari said:

Wow... you fail O.o

Pretty much. I'd beat the fucker up if I saw him, nothing good came out of his hacking.

Once again people will not apportion any blame on Sony, you guys astound me.

slowmo said:
Xen said:
poroporo said:
dsister said:
DonFerrari said:

Wow... you fail O.o

Once again people will not apportion any blame on Sony, you guys astound me.

Put that the other way around, will you? Why shouldn't I blame the thieves who break into my place, going around the security system? There is no such thing as a perfect system, so it will fall at one point or another.