By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Against the grain: The price of gaming

BenVTrigger said:
Conegamer said:
BenVTrigger said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

I want the 3Ds but Im afraid The system is too expensive, plus theres the fact that once its released theres 100% chance of the whole revision Nintendo loves to do.....So I think Im going to wait till the price of games and the console are lower(perhaps used )

exactly how I feel.  Id love to get one at launch but I know within a year there will be a better version come out with more battery life, better screens and 3D view just like all the model changes the regular DS had.

I think that's a lot of eggs to but in one basket though...

Heck, here I am with a DS Phat which has a battery of 15 minutes, top screen needs to be supported with your hand, no sound from either speakers and only displays in shades of red and green (Dropped onto hard concrete from a car, hit the hinge, then hit again after a few months by a pillow whilst open, broke one of the wires) but I'm perfectly happy with it. 

Granted, I now have a DSi as well, but just because there maybe a new model, doesn't mean you should wait for it as though it's as inevitable as a Mario game selling over a million units

I work in gaming retail and have been for a long time at a fairly high level.

Trust me there will 100% be a remodel of the 3DS. 

I'll take your word for that, you have more experience than me

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:

gaming is expensive!

about the 3ds's price, its going to do terrible in my country.

Why? what country do you live in?

Remember people said this about the Wii, and I recently said it about Kinect, so surprises DO happen!

(Also, Gojimaster, I expect the price to be from £170-£210, no more! That's my limits anyway, unless the launch line-up is amazing, but that's a different thread altogether! Or is it?)

lebanon, since things here never get a price cut and since we have high prices its retail price will about 450 dollars.

currently the ds light is at 250.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Conegamer said:
BenVTrigger said:
Conegamer said:

I think that's a lot of eggs to but in one basket though...

Heck, here I am with a DS Phat which has a battery of 15 minutes, top screen needs to be supported with your hand, no sound from either speakers and only displays in shades of red and green (Dropped onto hard concrete from a car, hit the hinge, then hit again after a few months by a pillow whilst open, broke one of the wires) but I'm perfectly happy with it. 

Granted, I now have a DSi as well, but just because there maybe a new model, doesn't mean you should wait for it as though it's as inevitable as a Mario game selling over a million units

I work in gaming retail and have been for a long time at a fairly high level.

Trust me there will 100% be a remodel of the 3DS. 

I'll take your word for that, you have more experience than me

You do not have to work in video game retail to know that they will have a slimmer/ different model of the 3ds released later. To my knowledge, Nintendo has never not revised their handhelds lol. Besides, did you see how fat the 3ds was, it could stand to lose some weight. Also, I bet that the 3ds will launch in the usa at $250 or less. No way will it launch for $300 in the USA.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

I'm at a bit of a crossroads with the 3DS - on one hand I have a DS, and when I get into a game it's great. I had a phase of playing through Pokemon Silver, FF3 drew me, TWEWY was great etc - however when that's not happening I barely touch the thing. I've found two things turned me off:

1) I didn't really have a lifestyle suited to handheld gaming. I don't have 30 minute train journeys to kill or sit around in an airport all day. I'm either at home - where I'd rather play more PS3 - or at my university campus where even though I might not have lectures, any time spent there is best put towards working.

2) DS game prices never really went 'cheap'. I think I've just been spoilt by the PS3 but in recent months I've bought games like Batman: AA, Just Cause 2, Fallout: New Vegas all for under £14. I've not a hope in hell of finding a good DS game near that price, despite the fact they're RRP's are cheaper. I just can't justify buying a handheld game - which should be cheaper by nature - for more then a PS3 game :(.

and unfortunately, I don't see 1) changing anytime soon and I don't see 3DS games getting cheaper, but infact more expensive >_>. It's a shame as alot about the 3DS appeals to me, but I know I won't be able to keep playing it alot.

I will be putting alot of attention on the PSP2 though, as if they can give that enough media functions to justify me carry it around wherever I go that sort of negates 1), and I'm hoping DD will drive prices cheaper, albeit I'm skeptical on that. Too early to judge with no official announcement, but trophey support might just pip it for me :P

zgamer5 said:
Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:

gaming is expensive!

Remember people said this about the Wii, and I recently said it about Kinect, so surprises DO happen!

(Also, Gojimaster, I expect the price to be from £170-£210, no more! That's my limits anyway, unless the launch line-up is amazing, but that's a different thread altogether! Or is it?)

lebanon, since things here never get a price cut and since we have high prices its retail price will about 450 dollars.

Ouch. That's pretty bad man...

Yeah, but at least there will be the option to HAVE the 3DS there, and, well, you never know...

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Antabus said:
Conegamer said:
Antabus said:

300€ is way too much for a Nintendo console for me, 50€ is something what I might consider. IF there are some good games on the console.

Oh boy, here we go...

Do you buy consoles because of the games or why?

Of course I buy consoles because of the games, it would be stupid to suggest otherwise. 

I'm just saying the Wii and DS have some great games, and the 3DS has a great line-up. So I'm expecting a Nintendo-fanboy to backlash on this comment, so brace yourself!

What would you buy a console for if not for the games?

Uhh, for the games of course. That is why I will be extra careful about buying a Nintendo console again.

edit:

And if you enjoy the wii lineup, good for you. It is just not for me. I am now sure of that. (waiting for TLS though)

@conegamer  has it ever occured to you that antabus might not be liking the 3DS line up so far??? Im not too crazy about it myself (to much remakes)

Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:
Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:

gaming is expensive!

Yeah, but at least there will be the option to HAVE the 3DS there, and, well, you never know...

what do you mean? stop dissing my counrty! we have virgin here! yeah thats right a big retailer from the uk!

also my country is responsible for 50% of the pirated copies of counter strike.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

oniyide, Im loving the line-up also(ZELDA:OOT ).....but it really does have too many remakes

I mean does those games warrant a purchase of a new potentially $300 console?

in my opinion its a *NO* ...I waited all these years to play those games already, why not wait a lil more when its cheaper!

zgamer5 said:
Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:
Conegamer said:
zgamer5 said:

gaming is expensive!

what do you mean? stop dissing my counrty! we have virgin here! yeah thats right a big retailer from the uk!

also my country is responsible for 50% of the pirated copies of counter strike.

Woah, don't take it the wrong way! i've never been so I wouldn't know, but I'm sure it's a very nice place to live

Yeah, virgin's pretty big (we have Virgin Broadband for example), but I'm not sure the second point is necessarily a good thing