By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Against the grain: The price of gaming

300€ is way too much for a Nintendo console for me, 50€ is something what I might consider. IF there are some good games on the console.

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:

I honestly don't don't think the 3DS will retail for £250 ($396), I think somewhere between £180-200 ($285-$317).  The DS and DSlite launched at £100 ($159) and the DSi and DSiXL at £150 ($240).  Though I wouldn't be surprised if it reached that amount, I think it will go around the £200 mark.

On topic, gaming is a cheap hobby but it is much less expensive that it once was.  Back in the 4th gen, games used to cost £50 ($79).  When one factors in inflation (probably about 2% annually for U.K) and how much real wages have increased, one can understand how much gaming must have been them.

Man, you were buying your games from a dodgy dealer! 

I vividly recall walking into HMV/Woolworths (those were the days ) and buying a PS1 game for less than £5. Infact, the most expensive game I'd bought up until I got FF12 7 weeks after release date was the original Harry Potter game for les than £20, and we thought the world was ending at that price or something!

Also, I agree, I'll be stunned if the price is above £210, infact, I'll be stunned if it's above £185. That my estimate anyway.

We'll see VERY soon...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Antabus said:

300€ is way too much for a Nintendo console for me, 50€ is something what I might consider. IF there are some good games on the console.

Oh boy, here we go...

Conegamer said:
Antabus said:

Oh boy, here we go...

Do you buy consoles because of the games or why?

Antabus said:
Conegamer said:
Antabus said:

Oh boy, here we go...

Do you buy consoles because of the games or why?

Of course I buy consoles because of the games, it would be stupid to suggest otherwise. 

I'm just saying the Wii and DS have some great games, and the 3DS has a great line-up. So I'm expecting a Nintendo-fanboy to backlash on this comment, so brace yourself!

What would you buy a console for if not for the games?

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
MrT-Tar said:

I honestly don't don't think the 3DS will retail for £250 ($396), I think somewhere between £180-200 ($285-$317).  The DS and DSlite launched at £100 ($159) and the DSi and DSiXL at £150 ($240).  Though I wouldn't be surprised if it reached that amount, I think it will go around the £200 mark.

On topic, gaming is a cheap hobby but it is much less expensive that it once was.  Back in the 4th gen, games used to cost £50 ($79).  When one factors in inflation (probably about 2% annually for U.K) and how much real wages have increased, one can understand how much gaming must have been them.

I vividly recall walking into HMV/Woolworths (those were the days ) and buying a PS1 game for less than £5. Infact, the most expensive game I'd bought up until I got FF12 7 weeks after release date was the original Harry Potter game for les than £20, and we thought the world was ending at that price or something!

Also, I agree, I'll be stunned if the price is above £210, infact, I'll be stunned if it's above £185. That my estimate anyway.

We'll see VERY soon...

By 4th gen I meant the SNES/Sega MD era.  Due to home console games being cartridges, the marginal costs of games were really high which meant higher prices.  CDs are a fraction of the price, which lead to cheaper games.  I know it's for the US, but this is illustrated by the  picture below.

MrT-Tar said:
Conegamer said:
MrT-Tar said:

We'll see VERY soon...

By 4th gen I meant the SNES/Sega MD era.  Due to home console games being cartridges, the marginal costs of games were really high which meant higher prices.  CDs are a fraction of the price, which lead to cheaper games.  I know it's for the US, but this is illustrated by the  picture below.

Oh my...

I never knew there was such a difference in price between the 4th and 5th gen!

Hopefully it'll never reach such insane heights again. Unless Activision get their way

Lyrikalstylez said:

I want the 3Ds but Im afraid The system is too expensive, plus theres the fact that once its released theres 100% chance of the whole revision Nintendo loves to do.....So I think Im going to wait till the price of games and the console are lower(perhaps used )

exactly how I feel.  Id love to get one at launch but I know within a year there will be a better version come out with more battery life, better screens and 3D view just like all the model changes the regular DS had.

BenVTrigger said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

I want the 3Ds but Im afraid The system is too expensive, plus theres the fact that once its released theres 100% chance of the whole revision Nintendo loves to do.....So I think Im going to wait till the price of games and the console are lower(perhaps used )

exactly how I feel.  Id love to get one at launch but I know within a year there will be a better version come out with more battery life, better screens and 3D view just like all the model changes the regular DS had.

I think that's a lot of eggs to but in one basket though...

Heck, here I am with a DS Phat which has a battery of 15 minutes, top screen needs to be supported with your hand, no sound from either speakers and only displays in shades of red and green (Dropped onto hard concrete from a car, hit the hinge, then hit again after a few months by a pillow whilst open, broke one of the wires) but I'm perfectly happy with it. 

Granted, I now have a DSi as well, but just because there maybe a new model, doesn't mean you should wait for it as though it's as inevitable as a Mario game selling over a million units

Conegamer said:
BenVTrigger said:
Lyrikalstylez said:

I think that's a lot of eggs to but in one basket though...

Heck, here I am with a DS Phat which has a battery of 15 minutes, top screen needs to be supported with your hand, no sound from either speakers and only displays in shades of red and green (Dropped onto hard concrete from a car, hit the hinge, then hit again after a few months by a pillow whilst open, broke one of the wires) but I'm perfectly happy with it. 

Granted, I now have a DSi as well, but just because there maybe a new model, doesn't mean you should wait for it as though it's as inevitable as a Mario game selling over a million units

I work in gaming retail and have been for a long time at a fairly high level.

Trust me there will 100% be a remodel of the 3DS.