By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Against the grain: The price of gaming

Why is everyone so afraid of hardware revision when it's also common in all electronics?

I blame Apple!

Around the Network
Conegamer said:

Now I've played it for over 250 hours and am level 48 (Maximun is 999, final quests unlock at 55). So if you're looking for an online game then Tri is the way to go. It's sorta like Shadow of The colossus meets Oblivion, which is why it's now my favourite game ever (for better, and for worse).

Similar to Shadow of the Colossus? In what respect?

Ninpanda said:
Conegamer said:

Now I've played it for over 250 hours and am level 48 (Maximun is 999, final quests unlock at 55). So if you're looking for an online game then Tri is the way to go. It's sorta like Shadow of The colossus meets Oblivion, which is why it's now my favourite game ever (for better, and for worse).

Lots of massive monsters which take eons to beat?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Antabus said:
Conegamer said:
Antabus said:

Yea, especially FO3 was awesome. MH3 looks too much like a hack'n'slash game and what I've heard there is virtually no story involved. I remember also reading that there is no leveling up. Does not sound something I'd like. MAYBE when it is a lot cheaper..

Do you need the classic controller for that game? :P

No, not really. I'd say it's improved, because I started with the CCPro. If you can find someone who only uses the Wiimote then ask them, but the vast majority of people use the CCPro because it was designed for the game

MHTri is only something you can experience by playing it. Extensively. The first 5-6 hours I hated the game, and after the story (35 hours) I thought "that was good, not great, time to move on". But I decided to boot up the online first for a quick go. 

Now I've played it for over 250 hours and am level 48 (Maximun is 999, final quests unlock at 55). So if you're looking for an online game then Tri is the way to go. It's sorta like Shadow of The colossus meets Oblivion, which is why it's now my favourite game ever (for better, and for worse). Most people will say once you "get" it (i.e. once you understand the premise and enjoy it) you won't ever need another game. This is an over-exaggeration, but I've played very little other than it since its release nearly a year ago. Since you can now get it used for around £20 I'd say that's a sound investment, but I'd go either onto my new thread, talk to people on this site, or real life friends who have it first, and read review, because you either"get" it or you don't. You need to make sure you know which camp you're in

You don't level up in the conventional sense. You fight enemies, and take rewards at the end of the quest to build new weapons, armour, gems (to improve skills) etc.  You may say the main thing levelling up is you, because it takes serious skill, and even with the same weapons as someone else at a lower rank, you'll always prevail. Online, you also achieve "HR" which are like XP on COD, apart from so much more important. Different areas, monsters, weapons, guilds, players etc. only open when you've made a certain amount, so you need to have time to play it

That ok?

(Fallout 3 is legendary)

I guess you are trying to promote the game. ;P

But seriously, thanks for the information. Even though this is offtopic, I'll reply (your own thread):

I don't think I can play a game which I hate for 5 hours. It has to make a good impression pretty soon. I hated SotC and somehow I get the feeling this game is more like SotC than Oblivion. I also don't have any real life friends who own a Wii and I don't trust people on these forums at all when it comes to games. :P

But you make a good case for the game. I don't have any online games on Wii so... maybe when it will be cheaper. It is 50€ with the classic controller now and that is too much for a tryout-game.

In your case I agree with you. If you're uncertain I'd wait until a lowered price.

But I hpe you like it if you do get it!

Conegamer said:
Ninpanda said:
Conegamer said:

From what I've seen of Monster Hunter Tri, they aren't nearly as massive enough to be compared to the Colossi in Shadow of the Colossus, though.

Around the Network

Updated the OP with information from the Nintendo 3DS conference, for reference

Ninpanda said:
Conegamer said:
Ninpanda said:
Conegamer said:

From what I've seen of Monster Hunter Tri, they aren't nearly as massive enough to be compared to the Colossi in Shadow of the Colossus, though.

You clearly haven't fought the Jhen Morean then have you?

That thing is massive, easily exceeds a number of monsters in SotC!

I think comparing the 3DS to an iPad or even a HDTV is an inapt comparison. iPads can be purchased in place of a laptop; the Nintendo 3DS has no equal substitute until the PSP2 releases. Television sets whether they are the old monitor type with the built-in wood casing and shelving or the latest flat screen hung where a painting should be is a necessity for most, not a luxury good like the 3DS.

As for it being comparable because they are the latest, greatest novelty...I can see where the comparison fits, I just don't think they are of equal comparison as they are different products bought for different uses.