By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Oh my god, the selective service system sent me a registration letter

I think I'm the only one with a service record from the sound of things.

There will never be another draft, barring the instance in which there is a mass invasion on U.S. soil. So you're looking at astronomical odds in favor of that happening; nothing anyone who isn't afraid of their own shadow should be worried or stressing about.

As for deliberately refusing to register with the selective service; life's full of choices. But good luck securing any type of federal loans, student loans, mortgages, federal aid, social security, federal employment, etc. You're literally making your life more difficult over nothing more than a precautionary system that was implemented when the "Red Scare" was in full effect generations ago.

Frankly, anyone who wants to make the selective service a symbolic "moral stand" by refusing to register is free to leave the country.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
rocketpig said:

Again, I use specific situations while you broadly paint generalities.

I'm not condoning every action made by the United States in the past century. I even pointed out that there are clearly times to protest fighting, empirical politicking, and war (unless you missed the "conscientious objector" bit). On the other hand, there are clearly times when it's time to fight back and we've had several of those situations in the history of this nation, right from the time it was founded.

But go ahead and continue to live in relative luxury in a safe, warm world while condemning everything that allows you to enjoy those fundamental elements of survival. It only makes you look short-sighted and immature.

I'll do that. You can continue to be one of Americans many sheep puppets.

Right. I'm a puppet. God forbid that I analyze each situation on a case-by-case basis in favor of moaning about how this country should burn, how it's a joke, and how nothing it does benefits the world in any way (add wild gesticulation here).

You're just not very bright. And therefore, to escape the old "fool" adage, I shall find another thread in which to discuss something. Problem solved.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Wagram said:
rocketpig said:
Wagram said:
rocketpig said:
Wagram said:
rocketpig said:

One doesn't have to be pro America or pro military to think that someone who refuses to fight for his or her country under any circumstances is an ass.

Why would you want to fight for a country that is hypocritical?

Why would you allow your country to be overrun by a foreign entity or allow its close allies to fall under tyrannical leadership?

I have no problems with conscientious objectors in Vietnam, Iraq, or other political battles. But sometimes, there are clear-cut reasons to fight and sometimes, it's the only real option.

No it isn't and it doesn't make it right either. For a country that moans about freedom America sure do like restricting everyone elses as well as forcing our rule over them.

I will not support a country like ours. I would rather see it burn.

Where am I supporting any kind of restriction of others' freedom? Did we impede Japanese invasion in 1941? Aw, that was a real damned shame. Those poor Japanese were really just misunderstood.

And I'm willin' to wager that South Korea sure wishes we stayed out of their business and didn't "restrict their freedom" shortly thereafter.

While I'm at it, those Kuwaitis sure hate us, too.

Most of the world does hate us. We are a giant joke.

I'm not condoning every action made by the United States in the past century. I even pointed out that there are clearly times to protest fighting, empirical politicking, and war (unless you missed the "conscientious objector" bit). On the other hand, there are clearly times when it's time to fight back and we've had several of those situations in the history of this nation, right from the time it was founded.

But go ahead and continue to live in relative luxury in a safe, warm world while condemning everything that allows you to enjoy those fundamental elements of survival. It only makes you look short-sighted and immature.

You're being pretty generous IMO.

The thing is, people like that have nothing to worry about because there will always be ordinary individuals willing to volunteer, whether it be out of need or desire so that others don't have to.

Wagram said:
rocketpig said:

I'll do that. You can continue to be one of Americans many sheep puppets.

So, if you hate America, what country do you prefer to ours? How did they secure the freedoms they have today?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

PhoenixKing said:
mrstickball said:

Its a requirement to register, regardless.

I wouldn't worry about getting drafted. Unlikely to happen.

Besides, why are you so worried about joining the military? Too worried you may have to defend America?

There is no honor in death. I don't believe in any of this patriotic 'defending America' BS. Iraq wasn't for defending America, the military ended-up raping 13 year old girls in torture cells within that country (Look-up Abu Graib), and these actions were ordered under Defense Secrutary Rumsfeld. The more you know, huh?

Not only that, but I've been reading books about war and genocide for college and some of the material absolutely disgusts me. Rape motels, accidentally bombing innocent villages, and accidentally shooting children that are hiding in fear.

I never want to see war in my life. Sorry for being a Pacifist.

I am not a war hungry person, but if there is a need for war, I am not against it. Whether or not the Iraq war is needed is up for debate, but I would have no problem defending a country(even if it not my own) if another attacked it. I hope others would do the same for my country, but I have my doubts.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
PhoenixKing said:
nightsurge said:
PhoenixKing said:
nightsurge said:
PhoenixKing said:
mrstickball said:

Besides, why are you so worried about joining the military? Too worried you may have to defend America?

There is no honor in death. I don't believe in any of this patriotic 'defending America' BS. Iraq wasn't for defending America, the military ended-up raping 13 year old girls in torture cells within that country (Look-up Abu Graib), and these actions were ordered under Defense Secrutary Rumsfeld. The more you know, huh?

Not only that, but I've been reading books about war and genocide for college and some of the material absolutely disgusts me. Rape motels, accidentally bombing innocent villages, and accidentally shooting children that are hiding in fear.

Wow... more conspiracy theory stuff.  Question everything you read/hear, not just the stuff you don't agree with.  Just because you don't believe in the Iraq war doesn't mean all that bad stuff they publish about it is true and all the good stuff is false.  Some of it may be true, some of it is probably blown way out of proportion, etc.  People write stuff to sell copies and the more conflicting or terrible sounding the better it sells.

It's not false when they're being brought on Federal charges on it by a Congressional Jury.

Try actually reading about this information yourself before saying its all BS and that 'we're doing good'.

If you really think what I said is the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist then I'm sorry to say that you're living in a naive world view of things. This has all been confirmed information since 2007.

Check on this information yourself, look at the leaked pictures, watch the wikileaks video of American military personnel running over someone they just killed and laughing about it. This is very real, very incriminating, and horribly immoral.

I want no part in the military, any military, or anything remotely related to real life warfare. The events that happen are just too sick and horrible.

Apparently everything I just said went over your head. Oh well.

You don't provide a shred of credibility in anything you say. You have nothing, no real valuable information about war, to explain your argument like I do. I've read it, I've watched it, and I've been taught of its horrible effects.

I don't think you understand war at all. If you support it so much then by all means, join the military.

Again, you are drawing some weird conclusions considering I gave no such implications.  Just take my advice.  You keep saying how you "read about it and watched it" and all I said is that you need to question EVERYTHING you see or hear, not just the stuff you don't like. Nothing is as clear cut as it is presented to you and sometimes it is downright false or blown out of proportion.  If you really think the news, information from anti-war articles, etc. are all truthful pieces then I pity you and your ability to come up with your own conclusions on things.

From your reactions to everything in this thread it is clear you are not yet mature enough to handle such advanced topics.  Give it some time, read information from both sides, not just the one side, do your own thinking about something rather than just eating up whatever others present to you.

Notice in this entire thing I have not mentioned anything about my views on wars and yet you keep assuming I support them.  Relax, read thoroughly, question everything, think diligently and deliberately, and decide for yourself.

Seriously.  The people who claim one side is lying/decieving everyone and then proceed to blindly accept everything presented to them by the other side completely mystify me.  You've got reason enough to recognize that what others tell you isn't necessarily the truth, but then proceed to use that insight selectively.

For everyone who is a complete pacifist, I suggest you take it to a local level.

Ideally, I'm not a fan of war.  Ideally, the world's history wouldn't have any of it.  Ideally, I'm also not a fan of violence.  Ideally, there wouldn't be any needed in the world.  However, if some guy were to try to rape my wife/girlfriend/etc., I'd do whatever it took to protect them.  That'd probably involve some violence (and a lot of it).  But, as mrstickball (or maybe Rocketpig?) has pointed out, it's a situation where you're forced to choose the lesser of two evils.  The fact that violence and war are prevalent in our world and its history is a very sad thing.  However, we hold no power over others; we can only control the decisions we make in response to them.  If your two options are let everything you know and love be destroyed or fight, can you really honestly say the best option is the former?  No, every war does not have such high stakes.  No, every war should not be endorsed.  But sometimes, a war really is the lesser of two evils.

PhoenixKing said:
mrstickball said:

Oh be quiet.

Link me to one single piece of effective evidence that says Donald Rumsfeld ordered the raping of 13 year old girls or just get out of the thread.

You disagree with the man's politics, fine.  So do I.  But don't just make up heinous bull to try and discredit him.

As for the rest of your post, I agree, war is shit.  But if war occurs, as in the defensive wars I believe MrStickBall is talking about (not things like Iraq), EVERYONE has a responsibility to defend their country if they want to have any right to live in it afterwards.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

PhoenixKing said:

YOU are living in a childhood fantasy crafted by movies and patriotic ramblings.

Military fighting isn't 'good vs bad'- light vs dark star wars BS.

It's going into peoples homes, forcing information from them, bombing innocent civilian areas because of enemy bases nearby or because that's how they get their food, it's killing children should you be ordered to do so, and it's sick and wrong.

These aren't 'over-dramatized isolated incidents'. They're fact. They happen all the time in wars. Civilians are the FIRST objective to be attacked so they don't join the opposing army or provide food for them.

Nazi's taking over the world? Nazi's had no chance of doing that because they were fighting a 2 front war and Russia was on our side.

Honor in dying? No such thing. Your wife would grieve for your death, no? Wouldn't she feel guilty about it?

Look at Abraham Lincoln, when he was killed, his wife went crazy and was sent to a mental institution because she thought anyone emotionally close to her would die (Her husband died after she lost 3 sons in the war).

Want to know why schools don't tell you this? Because NO ONE wants fresh and able-bodied military resources to be anything but happy about partaking in war.

Also, to put it in the most simplest terms, since I'm sure most of you don't believe me.

War's definition: Organized Murder.

That's it. That's all. It's no different than gangs killing people. You just wear an honorary uniform to do it.

What you're describing is how unethical armies and certain sadistic individuals (who exist EVERYWHERE including OUTSIDE of war) conduct warfare.  As someone else mentioned, when it comes to the US military, you're picking the isolated incidents and using them to indict the whole body.  The vast majority of the military strikes America has made SINCE THE COUNTRY'S INCEPTION have had risk/benefit analysis' made that incorporate civilian collatoral.

There is no instance of America EVER making it policy to attack civilians first.  EVER!

Honor in dying is a subjective thing I will grant you, but you're clearly the world's greatest pessimist if you genuinely believe it isn't possible in any scenario.

And now I feel like and idiot, because I just realized I spent time responding to someone who appears to have just claimed it wasn't worth fighting the Nazi's...

mrstickball said:
PhoenixKing said:
mrstickball said:
nightsurge said:
mrstickball said:
PhoenixKing said:

YOU are living in a childhood fantasy crafted by movies and patriotic ramblings.

Military fighting isn't 'good vs bad'- light vs dark star wars BS.

It's going into peoples homes, forcing information from them, bombing innocent civilian areas because of enemy bases nearby or because that's how they get their food, it's killing children should you be ordered to do so, and it's sick and wrong.

These aren't 'over-dramatized isolated incidents'. They're fact. They happen all the time in wars. Civilians are the FIRST objective to be attacked so they don't join the opposing army or provide food for them.

Nazi's taking over the world? Nazi's had no chance of doing that because they were fighting a 2 front war and Russia was on our side.

Honor in dying? No such thing. Your wife would grieve for your death, no? Wouldn't she feel guilty about it?

Look at Abraham Lincoln, when he was killed, his wife went crazy and was sent to a mental institution because she thought anyone emotionally close to her would die (Her husband died after she lost 3 sons in the war).

Want to know why schools don't tell you this? Because NO ONE wants fresh and able-bodied military resources to be anything but happy about partaking in war.

Also, to put it in the most simplest terms, since I'm sure most of you don't believe me.

War's definition: Organized Murder.

That's it. That's all. It's no different than gangs killing people. You just wear an honorary uniform to do it.

Just curious, but do you think war against Hitler was justified? What about Pol Pot, or Imperial Japan?

Give it up, mrstickball.  This kid is delusional as they come.  I love how he preaches to us more mature and older individuals about living in a fantasy created by movies when he himself is the one seemingly living in a fantasy and not fully understanding many of these complex topics.

I know I have kept out of commenting on the actual war topics, but I must say his comment about "killing civilians is the first thing to do so they won't join up" is the absolute worst logic ever and completely false.  Sure some idiotic crazy war pirates and terrorists will do this, but if your goal is actually to win a war you want the citizens to like you as an invading force or to at least tolerate you, not hate you.  If you go off killing civilians left and right the only thing that will do is inspire civilians further to stand against you.

Now please, you are obviously only 18 and being overrun with information from many sources that are not always credible.  Take the advice of all of us on here and chill out.

I mean, I can understand his distain of what war is. War is hell. War is vile. The worst atrocities of humanity are usually in and around wars. Yet at the same time, some wars have purged us from evils that did their deeds in the shadows, only finding out the horrors once war was ended.

Atrocities are atrocities, but to say that all war is bad, to me, begs to justify regimes and perpetrators of the worst kinds of crimes - the ones that go unpunished. Americans have done some bastardly things in wars, but they pale in comparison to the things done by others in wars, and before wars were perpetrated.

If you read a lot of stuff about war, you have a healthy respect for what it does, and what it accomplishes in the face of pure evil. If it were not for intervention in some of the worst conflicts of humanity, they would of continued unchecked, and lay hidden in the dark, for us to never know the evils that were perpetrated behind 'peace'.

When you look at some of the war atrocities - the Rape of Nanking, Katyn Forest, the Soviet Occupation of post-war Germany, Pol Pot's post-war Cambodian regime, and dozens of others, you understand that, in very rare instances, war and the atrocities thereof are the lesser of two evils. I could not imagine a world to where we did not fight the Nazis, the or the North Koreans and Chinese. Instances like that are why I cannot always stomach pacificsm, because it seeks a world that does not exist - a world where no one is abused or hurt. Sadly, that is not the reality in a lot of places. God forgive us when North Korea collapses, and we find out what really went on while we were sitting in our warm houses, playing on the internet, and watching TV instead of engaging such a vile regime.

Why did Nazi Germany come to surface? Because of war reparations forced upon Germany after World war 1 compounded with the Great Depression.

Why did Pol Pot eradicate 2 million Cambodians who were on the Pro-American side? Because America's bomb campaign in Cambodia hit the wrong towns and killed millions of innocent civilians during the war.

Why did the war against Korea end in a neutrality with it being divded in the middle? Because America kept going further up and China had warned us that it felt threatened during the time we were winning the war.

War creates more war and genocides. These events WERE impacted because of American military action, though in the case of WW2, it was due to French and British politics of desiring to embarass Germany backed by combined military might.

You think I'm a delusional kid? You both haven't even made an argument against anything I've said. The other dude is just condescending and arrogant so I won't even respond to his childish rants.

You never answered my question:

Do you believe that the actions of Hitler, Pol Pot, Imperial Japan, and such should of continued unabated? I understand your points, but you didn't answer my question.

Hitler wouldn't have taken over had America never even bothered to step in. He was doomed the moment he betrayed the USSR. The Eastern Front was simply a battle he couldn't win. America going in was technically irrelevant on Hitler's end although, admittedly, it would have happened anyway since that idiot declared war on America only a few days after Pearl Harbor.

Imperial Japan would have been taken down by Russia, period. Japan was just a sad situation because their child of an emperor had no control over what his board did.

Pol Pot did what he did because he was convinced America was 'evil' and that all 'western influenced' Cambodians were evil. America's illegal bombing campaign by Nixon was one of the major factors in why Cambodians united under Pol Pot.  Not ONLY that, but you're ignoring the fact that America supported a Dictatorship of Lon Nol, who was a corrupt and vile tyrant himself, against Pol Pot's communism. Were you even aware of this? America was NOT supporting the establishment of a democracy in Cambodia.

America simply shouldn't be involved in these affairs. It's actions were a catalyst to the tragedies that occurred and usually cause more problems while wasting millions.

Just look at the American Civil war, it created the KKK, the black codes, and other Jim Crow laws that kept Blacks surpressed from having equal rights. What ended this terrible system? Non-violent civil disobediance.

People should learn: War is NEVER the answer.

rocketpig said:
PhoenixKing said:

Why did Pol Pot eradicate 2 million Cambodians who were on the Pro-American side? Because America's bomb campaign in Cambodia hit the wrong towns and killed millions of innocent civilians during the war.

You're blaming Pol Pot's atrocities on... American bombs?

Wow, just wow. That dude was way up there on the batshit-crazy list. Nothing anyone did or didn't do would have change anything about that guy. He, like Stalin and Hitler, was just a bad guy. They exist, you know.

I've been to Cambodia, relatively recently.  I've seen the mass graves, spoken to some Cambodians about the atrocities.  They do NOT believe that Pol Pot was what he was because of America.  Phoenix is either blissfully naive or willing to say anything to justify getting out of consideration for the draft too himself.