By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: PS3 Piracy Could Eclipse PSP

Publishers see problems for Sony after firmware crack.

The recent cracking of the PlayStation 3's previously watertight security measures could prove seriously problematic for Sony according to industry figures, with the console opening itself up for piracy on a similar scale to that seen on the PSP. 

Sony's PlayStation 3 has been the subject of several hacks that bypass the console's security measures and that hackers claim can only be addressed with a hardware update. Sony has since responded by filing for restraining orders against the group fail0verflow and the prolific George Hotz among others

"If that hack works as reported, I don't believe that Sony can regain any control," Ubisoft Massive's Martin Walfisz toldgamesindustry.biz. "They could try to employ a similar system to Xbox Live, so that people running hacked systems won't have access to PSN. But Sony won't be able to stop people from running pirated game copies as long as the machines are not hooked up online." 

Walfisz went on to claim that Sony's home console could be facing a problem more serious than that which has beset its handheld counterpart. "I would assume that pirated copies can be stored on the HDD as well," said Walfisz, "making it so easy to use that PS3 piracy, given time, might even surpass the handhelds.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1144041p1.html

Around the Network

Because pirated games cant be stored on an xbox 360 that isnt connected to the internet, this article only further strengthens peoples hate towards ign, I still frequent the site but man they love to blow things out of porportion.  Last time I checked, the 360 is still doing fine.  Not sure why the ps3 wouldn't be doing the same, even if they lose their lawsuit they can still ban people's ps3's if they detect that they are running pirated software.  Pointless article.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I doubt it. The game size is too great in comparison to psp games. I believe handhelds will remain the most pirated systems for a long time because of file size.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Even if you buy pirated games they cost like ten times the PS2 pirated games costed because of blu-ray(300-400 to 30-50 in mexican pesos) so is almost cheaper to buy original

I don't think it'll be as bad as PSP piracy due to filesize, as said above. But also online gaming - as if pirates can't go online with the console (Which I understand is something they can at the moment, but Sony are able to implement?) that's alot of games wasted.

I think where they'll be hurt most is in countries like Spain and Eastern Europe where they literally sell pirated games / hardware in the shops at retail, could really hurt software there, which unfortunately are countries Sony still seemed to have a pretty strong grip over.

We'll see how this all developes I guess - I've already seen people on my friends list playing SNES / Genesis emulators. It certainly sounds bad for Sony, but every other console out there has all it's software avaliable for pirating - I guess the question is whether the fact the PS3 has been hacked 'more' will lead to more severe consequences.

Around the Network

What a bunch of BS.Give us a break IGN...

Well, look at the bright side. You will still be able to run linux on your system, as you always wanted to.

Spreading IGNorance as always.

It's really simple, Sony has already stated they can disable PS3's remotely.  Go ahead, see if they're bluffing.

mornelithe said:

It's really simple, Sony has already stated they can disable PS3's remotely.  Go ahead, see if they're bluffing.

That sounds like something hackers could use. I hope Sony is bluffing for their own sake.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.